Hesitant To Pull Trigger On An '08

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped by my local dealer who has a 2008 coupe red/graphite. Looks stunning. Said if I wanted to sell my '05 privately whatever price I would ask/agree on that he would sell it thru him (at my same asking/agreed upon price) and would even finance it for the person.(he said he could get extremely low rates from his bank)
Anyway, I am not convinced with the reliability of the new engine andcomputer module. So many people have been having issues. My '05 has been flawless since delivery. This wouldn't be an issue if i had a coupe but I want to start getting involved in racing/autocrossing and don't want to do that on a vert. Am i just being overly cautious or thinking too much? Any advice?

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stopped by my local dealer who has a 2008 coupe red/graphite. Looks stunning. Said if I wanted to sell my '05 privately whatever price I would ask/agree on that he would sell it thru him (at my same asking/agreed upon price) and would even finance it for the person.(he said he could get extremely low rates from his bank)
Anyway, I am not convinced with the reliability of the new engine andcomputer module. So many people have been having issues. My '05 has been flawless since delivery. This wouldn't be an issue if i had a coupe but I want to start getting involved in racing/autocrossing and don't want to do that on a vert. Am i just being overly cautious or thinking too much? Any advice?
you think to much.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you think to much.

That just might be true but my points are valid. Two more people are having issues supposedly AFTER there vehicles had the flash or their computer updated. One had build date in May which was after the drive-by-wire issue.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can understand your hesitation, though it is what is to be expected after a number of years producing a very similar engine and control system, and then a very abrupt major shift towards a different type of system. The bugs will certainly be worked out over time, but the risk of being a test subject is certainly there.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go with VCA member NY on this one.

I'm a fan of waiting for the second year on new models.

Of course, that dosen't always mean the first year bugs have been shaken out......

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GET the 08 ,... i went to a car show in paris,tx on saturday.. when i arrived there was only 20 or so cars in attendance .. i had a quick look around and left.... had i wasted my time by driving 90 miles to a less than great car show....HELL NO ... WHY .. because the drive there and back in the 08 with belanger system left me with a smile on my face the whole day... the sound of the car above 3k rpm is just plain addicting... needless to say hwy 82 in east texas has some lonely stretches for some spirited driving....

The 08 fits me better than my generation 3 ever did... it is smoother and just a pleasure to drive and like i said the sound of the belanger system is just plain addicting....

i had the computer flash and now i'm just driving this thing hard and it just keeps getting better

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my third Viper(2008 Black Coupe now).I did not have any problems,but had the reflash done anyway.I have had the 2008 for about 3 months now and it has been perfect.Nothing/no issues at all.The 2008s are by far the best Vipers yet.I have a 7 year Dodge warr.,so if it breaks,I,ll bring it back and get it fixed.Get a 08,you will really like it.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You two guys are not making it any easier. Though I feel much better. My brain says keep the '05 but the hearts says go with the '08. I know I am going to cave. That graphite stripe on the classic red just looked amazingly aggressive.

Question..Does the GenIII seat lowering kit work on the '08 model?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You two guys are not making it any easier. Though I feel much better. My brain says keep the '05 but the hearts says go with the '08. I know I am going to cave. That graphite stripe on the classic red just looked amazingly aggressive.

Question..Does the GenIII seat lowering kit work on the '08 model?

I have the one inch Northwind for both driver and passenger seats in my 08. The one inch Northwind kit works but still may present some long-term risks in terms of rubbing on the airbag module located under the driver seat. The two inch lowering kit will not work.

If I may ask, who are the 2 members who have had issues with their 08s after the PCM reflash? (I also had the reflash done on my 2008 and would have some questions for those members.) Thanks.

/Rich

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove my 08 2400 miles back from Woodhouse. I had ZERO issues, and I absolutely love it. It is a big step forward from my 06 coupe.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NY.

Another case of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety).

Every Viper ever made has has some issue pop up. Different pistons, rear ends, transmissions, 1/2 shafts. Do not expect the 09's to be any different.

Each generation has tended to be more trouble free than the previous, but every year has its personality.

Maybe an extended test drive might make your decision more clear.

Reaction score
Fear not young padawan, choose and let the force guide you... or call ***** Pemberton and he will put you at ease, either way you can't go wrong. :eater:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had a Gen 3 and now a Gen 4 the only thing i can suggest to you is actually go out and drive an 08 (Buhler is close to you and they probably have 10 or so of them in stock- iam sure Darren or Bob can help you out ).Besides having ALOT more power they just drive better (more refined ,cooler, better tire grip ect.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the one inch Northwind for both driver and passenger seats in my 08. The one inch Northwind kit works but still may present some long-term risks in terms of rubbing on the airbag module located under the driver seat. The two inch lowering kit will not work.

If I may ask, who are the 2 members who have had issues with their 08s after the PCM reflash? (I also had the reflash done on my 2008 and would have some questions for those members.) Thanks.

/Rich

One is on the forum (limp mode thread) who had a build date in May, the other was at E-town several weeks back. Supposedly both cars were built after the udated software.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

/Rich

Thanks Rich, I definetely need the 2' kit, did anyone have the air bag module relocated to accommopdate the 2' kit? Mark from woodhouse said anything is possible. Just wondering if anyone actually had it done.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was built in November of 2007---no reflash, and no problems. Life is short....take a chance. 3500 miles and about to add 2000 more this week. The 08 is a vastly improved Viper.:2tu:

Bill

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was built in November of 2007---no reflash, and no problems. Life is short....take a chance. 3500 miles and about to add 2000 more this week. The 08 is a vastly improved Viper.:2tu:

Bill

WOW...11/07..that certainly is reassuring..With all these good threads I am feeling more relaxed about making a decision.thanks everyone!!

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought an 08 now with 2200 miles. the only prob. I had was a check engine light came on. It came on right after fueling. It was related to moisture around the cap from a little gas. Dodge reset it and it has not happened since. I love my 08. Sorry it is my first one so I have no prev. to compare it to.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely with SmogDog here...had the '05, sold it privately, saw a 2008 at a local dealer...liked...bought. NO problems...just getting used to the drive-by-wire...no reflash...doing NOTHING to this car but DRIVE it...staying stock. Pulls much harder, is a TRUE JOY to drive, drive, drive! We are GLAD we made this decision~! To each their own though....as MarkJorgensen said, if you have more questions, there are people like Bill Pemberton/Woodhouse, or Chuck Tator to ask.
Good Luck in your decision...sounds like a gorgeous color combo! ~juli

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
January build, not a single issue thus far (2800 miles). Best of luck with whatever you choose! :drive:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rich, I definetely need the 2' kit, did anyone have the air bag module relocated to accommopdate the 2' kit? Mark from woodhouse said anything is possible. Just wondering if anyone actually had it done.

I believe Mark Jorgenson/Woodhouse may have developed a workaround for this. Maybe he can chime in again but I believe one possible solution was relocating the airbag module.

/Rich

Reaction score
Anytime you mess with a airbag system it is very serious. As I said you can do just about anything but the safety of the modification is always the important part. The other thing to consider is that if something were to happen your insurance may have a loop hole that could cost you along with the potential damage to your body. FWIW

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Go out and drive an '08, if that's not enough consider you would start with a brand new warranty and have the coupe body style you need/want. This will no doubt make it an easier decision for you.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyway, I am not convinced with the reliability of the new engine and computer module.

We have the VVT redesign, which is radically new but has shown to work without incident, and we have the proven Hemi reciprocating parts. We also haven't heard any reports of Z06-style valve train failures, so we seem to be OK here too. Dodge has also made some notable improvements on the block/heads over the Gen-3, and the Brakes/suspension....awesome.

The Venom controller is a malleable high MIPS computer that is more capable than the Gen-3 in supporting future complex firmware updates as needed. And finally, I don't expect to see any of our roofs flying off anytime soon :D

Due to the cost and low Viper production numbers, we aren't going to see major engine or controller redesigns any time soon. I'm sure any future updates (e.g., software) can be easily applied to existing production.

Reaction score
There has been a lot of mis information lately about the whole airbag issue. I did some digging and found these facts along the way for you to use in your decision making regarding seat lowering and air bag operation for both seats.

The position sensor DOES control the air bag by proximity to the steering wheel for force adjustment.

If the seat is lowered and the switch is not installed correctly the force of the airbag is unknown but it WILL still deploy if the conditions are met for it.

All this info is a mute point though because you will be totally liable for the failure should it be modified so buyer beware.

The passenger seats have a new system in the Viper that will correctly determine the weight of an occupant and adjust the airbag to on or off. It has some criteria to be met though as it is MUCH more advanced than any system has been before it.

Between 65 and 105 pounds the system will determine the need for the airbag at all. This will be based on a correctly seated person! This is true for all the levels of adjustment. You must sit in the seat correctly and distribute your weight evenly in the seat without leaning for/aft or side to side. Within seconds after starting the car the system will "lock in" your values. If this is not done correctly and the light is incorrect for your weight it is best to exit the running vehicle and wait 2-6 minutes before re entering the vehicle. at 2 minutes the corrected value is 80% and as the minutes increase to 6 minutes the corrected percentage gets closer to 100. The system also monitors and updates your weight and "position" in the vehicle every 2 minutes after that.

At 120+ pounds the airbag will still be monitored by the system but will be in the ON mode. It is still critical that your weight is evenly distributed though as it senses this every 2 minutes.

There is no sensors in the bolster areas so if you are a wide body like myself and there is a substantial portion of your weight there you may actually get a false reading if you are not as heavy as me per se. :omg:

Just a little info for you to share, and it is always good to know the facts when you are planning on any mods that can affect safety.

Take care,

Mark

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mark. With all the customer will be liable issues, I will hold on to my '05 and hope DC moves the airbag stuff somewhere else for '09....PLEASE!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave