6th gear question

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question from a new owner. What speed/rpm do you guys use 6th gear? At 70mph the rpm are only like 1300, which seems to low to drive the engine at?
Thanks in advance for the info. :D

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rarely use 6th gear even on the highway but on a ling trip I think I would use it more. With the amount of torque our engines have 1300 rpm on the highway is no big deal and you will get great mileage. Don't worry about it.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use it whenever I'm at 70mph (whether it be on Interstate, school zone, streetracing, etc). Scaring kids in the crosswalk and getting 22mpg all at the same time! :lmao:

But seriously, I do use it at 70mph and above.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm jealous. Anyone that has 70 mph school zones must be Royalty.

Chad is my hero. Again.

Nope, 25mph school zones just like all other common folk. I just do 70mph in them. I did the math figured out slowing down to 25mph and then speeding back up takes a lot of gas and those kids should be smart enough to look both ways before crossing the street anyway. We have 70mph speedlimits on Interstate and if I don't hit 120mph before I merge into trafic from the on ramp, I turn around and go try again. Streetracing is also illegal in GA. I like to race SUV's and motorhomes. Even if they beat me, I know it took them like 400 gallons of gas to do so :lmao: I can still be your hero though. Autographed photos are mailed out every Tuesday! Get your order in now!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 6th gear, with the stock rear end and on level roads, at 1250 RPM (63 MPH if I remember). for literally thousands of miles. The speed limit around here is 55 tops. Switching to 3.45s made it completely a non issue, even on hills. Adding the blower, even more so.

As long as the RPMs are enough to charge the system, and you're not lugging the engine, I don't see how it's an issue. From a charging standpoint: at idle, with all accessories on full, you're only at 650 to 750 RPM....yet the alternator is still charging the battery.

I will say the sweet spot for mileage was around 1500-1600 RPM with stock gearing. We routinely got 24+ at that RPM...roughly 75-80 MPH

Steve

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On city streets I'm in 6th gear at about 45mph. :confused:

Wow! Now that I wrote that I realize how **** it sounds. Maybe I should put some white hood vents on my car... (Sorry Dave, I couldn't resist) :lmao:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The V10 has so much low end torque, it is not lugging to cruise at 1200 rpm, (regardless of rear gear) I live in mountainous country, and can climb some pretty steep hills in 5th!

But the LAME acceleration in 5th and 6th is one reason that so many owners choose a 3:55 (or other) gear, based on their HP. If you can sacrifice speeds above ~160mph, you can go 8-23% faster in all 6 gears depending on rear end of choice.

And with a 355 you can still cruise at 1400 RPM in 6th, but have some passing power

OP
OP
R

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, they were really helpful. The RPM just seemed very low and I did not want to damage the engine, especially during the break-in period. So how do you actually define "lugging" the engine then?
-Rich
:drive:

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 08 I find that the engine doesn't feel or sound right using 6th gear at highway speeds. I don't shift in to 6th until about 85mph cruising. Obviously if I am getting on it I find that 6th gear at about 110. But i am new to the viper as this is my first one. I tend to think when to shift is very subjective, so I just feel it. Not that that helps you much, but I can only describe that engine lag as lag. When your at 70 mph and you shift into 6th it just feels like she is telling me not yet.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....Thanks for the replies everyone, they were really helpful. The RPM just seemed very low and I did not want to damage the engine, especially during the break-in period. So how do you actually define "lugging" the engine then? -Rich

If you add throttle, and car does NOT increase speed......you are lugging.

Exception: Elevation changes may require adding throttle to maintain speed. Climbing, if you add throttle and dont maintain speed, you are lugging.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used 6th gear to make sure I didn't run out of gas in the Silver State Classic, 90 miles at 130+ had me concerned, as it turns out with 6th gear several made it at 150+ even with the 3.55 gears!!!

Reaction score
I think running the RPM that low in any type of driving where you are adding throttle at all is not worth your time. The car is adding fuel and you are not going anywhere (wasting). If you are doing this your mileage will probably be worse than being down a gear. I have customers tell me all the time they get better mileage after switching to a 3.55 and using 6th because it is NOT lugging and waisting fuel (less overall load on the motor requires less fuel).

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt you'll hurt the engine by keeping the rpms and mpg down... Remember the skip shift light?? ...4th in the parking lot??!...or pulling off from a stop sign?!
I took a trip from Pittsburg to Washington DC with my '95... Took all back roads (45-55 ..posted) My Viper got an amazing 27mpg using mostly 5th and 6th. I tried for the best mileage I could by keeping the rpms below 15k. Even my stock gen 1 had the muscle to climb hills in 5th where lesser cars would be in 3rd. This car has tons of torque even at low rpms.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just returned from a 1500 mile road trip from Vancouver Island to the prairies.This was pretty much my first opportunity to drive my 08.It had been put away in June with 300km on the odo,and had just over 1000 km when I left the Island.
I used 6th gear as much as possible when above 65 mph,downshifting to 5th when necessary.At speeds of 110-120 km/h
(68-75mph) the car returned as high as 27.5mpg (Imperial gallon).
The window sticker said the car should return 31 miles to the Imperial gallon.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car a new '08? What type of terrain? Anytime ~65mph if you are looking for mileage.

PS: 5th and 6th is a lot more usable if you change out your dif 3.07 gears to 3.33s or 3.55s.

Drive on! :drive:

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vehicle is a new 08 Venom Red vert.The terrain varied from relatively flat from the Island to about Kamloops.Kamloops to shortly outside Calgary is fairly twisty.Calgary on is straight.
The good gas mileage was obtained on reasonably straight,non too hilly roads,where I was conciously trying to achieve the best mileage.There were tanks where I drove at speeds from 80mph to a little over 100mph but mileage dropped exponentially to as low as ~23 mpg depending on how much downshifting and passing there was to do.
Now that I've typed this,Vipergal,I'm thinking I hope your post was directed at my comments,if not,I apologize.

OP
OP
R

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
does changing out your rear diff from 3.07 gears to 3.33 or 3.55 void the factory or extended warranty? Does it give you a faster 1/4 mile?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a little test with our car yesterday on our trip home from the Dream Cruise. I have an AFR meter in the car. I was able to run at 1000/1100 RPM in 6th gear and not lug or add unnecessary fuel. I was able to accelerate up small hills and my AFR was running mid 13s....pretty efficient for fuel usage. While I may have been adding a little fuel, it was also turning less RPMs / less fuel than a lower gear.

What is said below makes some sense in that there is a sweet spot for the Viper. With a stock car / stock rear end we got better mileage in 6th at 75-80 (1500-1600) than at 63 or so. There is a balance point between adding unnecessary fuel and covering ground at a lower RPM. Since 2003 / 19" stock wheel package (larger diameter tires), the 3.07 rear end effectively became a 2.92 gear.

Steve

I think running the RPM that low in any type of driving where you are adding throttle at all is not worth your time. The car is adding fuel and you are not going anywhere (wasting). If you are doing this your mileage will probably be worse than being down a gear. I have customers tell me all the time they get better mileage after switching to a 3.55 and using 6th because it is NOT lugging and waisting fuel (less overall load on the motor requires less fuel).

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but why would anyone buy a viper and worry about the fuel mileage? I never use 5Th or 6Th gear as I want all the power and torque available for acceleration when on the highway. I personally don't care that I only get 15 mpg. if I was looking for fuel mileage I sure would never but a viper!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racer Robbie,

I completely understand your positition, however what I think the comments were pointing to was that if our cars are able to achieve high 20's MPG, or even low 30's why not try to achieve that if we are simply cruising place to place. I once got 27 mpg on a leg of a long trip to Canada and it blew everyone's mind that I was able to get that in a Viper.

We still know that by downshifting there isn't much out there that can keep up, let alone beat us if we choose to go fast....but I like the old saying "speak softly and carry a big stick"....I say the Viper is the "big stick" and people know that they are wasting their time even believing they'd be close in a race.

Regards,
Aaron

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but why would anyone buy a viper and worry about the fuel mileage? I never use 5Th or 6Th gear as I want all the power and torque available for acceleration when on the highway. I personally don't care that I only get 15 mpg. if I was looking for fuel mileage I sure would never but a viper!

If you're only driving your car a little bit -- mostly in town, I guess that makes some sense. If you drive a lot, like us -- 85,000 Viper miles since 2000 -- then pounding the highway on long trips in 4th gear makes no sense at all. Even in local driving, it takes all of a couple seconds to downshift. No big deal.

I was always told: "Pick up the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves"

Steve