Any Correlation Between Replacing a Battery and a Dead A/C

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if there would be any correlation in between replacing a battery and a A/C unit that now blows hot air?

Had the O rings replaced and the system recharged in April sometime and it was working fine when I got it in May. The battery went dead, so replaced that and now the A/C is hot.

Is it just coincidence or did I knock something loose? Was I supposed to "reset" something?

Did a quick search and could not find anything related to this. However, am i supposed to use the R134a? Can someone also point me to the correct link in what valves to work on and how to do this (recharge the system)?

Thanks

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely a coincedence. Just to be sure, check all fuses first. Next time you have the system recharged-=-ask if they can install an ultra violet leak detection dye. This is a foolproof way of finding the leak. John

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DIY?? I suggest not--if you over charge or hook up the lines incorrectly, could be catastrophic to the system. Pay a professional--ya cheap skate!!!!! There is no way to tell how much freon is in the system that you're adding to. Of course you can deplete all the freon and start from scratch--fill to proper level, add dye and find the leak yerself. Just be careful. John

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhh okay thanks. :D Wasnt trying to be cheap per se. Just that I was wondering if it was something that I could fix myself. If so....then I would. Sounded like it was something that could be done sort of simply. There are no Viper techs where I am and going to a shop to get it fixed might be a slight gamble in regards to avoiding any damages to hood, or other components, just due to the fact that there are not enough Vipers here for people to have enough experience in working on them.

Wonder whats the average cost in recharging and checking the system? Well...better start looking in the phone books then I guess. :crazy2:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X should be about 150 or so. This is just for the recharge and diagnosis. When ya find the leak, who knows. John ps---just kidding about the cheap skate remark!

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries. No offense taken.

It just gets really hot and humid here...such that the A/C functionality becomes a bit needed.

Will take it to a shop and see what the damage is.

Thanks

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the A/C compressor start at some point? If there is not enough freon in the system, the compressor will not engage. When the o-rings were replaced, did they take the front fascia off and change the o-rings on the front also? Mine was also blowing hot air earlier this year. I'd charge the system, but after a few days it was back to hot air. I had the o-rings replaced and the front had to come off. This was done by a Viper tech. Been blowing cold since.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DIY?? I suggest not--if you over charge or hook up the lines incorrectly, could be catastrophic to the system. Pay a professional--ya cheap skate!!!!! There is no way to tell how much freon is in the system that you're adding to. Of course you can deplete all the freon and start from scratch--fill to proper level, add dye and find the leak yerself. Just be careful. John

Search recent posts; this has been discussed. With store-bought hoses you cannot hook it up incorrectly because the ******* are different sizes. The Dodge service manual has guidelines on how to fill up a partially full system - believe it or not it is as simple as adding until the bubbles go away and then a little more. There are further guidelines for intake system pressure (you read that with the store-bought hose kit) and temperature at the center duct. The system has a high pressure relief cut-off switch so if you overcharge it, you don't harm the compressor or high-pressure side.

I'm cheap, and once you learn how to fish (recharge) you don't go hungry (get hot.)

As far as a correlation, as mentioned above, make sure the compressor is running. There might be a fuse/relay issue. If it is not running, and you suspect low r-134a levels, remove the low pressure switch and jump it with a paper clip to force the compressor to turn on. (yes, this is something else the Dodge manual says to do while you recharge a low system.) If it is a fuse/relay problem it won't run and you can chase down the electrical problem. If the compressor does come on, you are low on refrigerant. Good luck.

OP
OP
X

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...I will try not to sound to dumb in answering question in the search for my answer.

I am assuming that the compressor is still okay since it starts up and blows. Just that the air is warm. I had a Viper tech change out the O rings...but I am not dead sure which ones. There was a leak in one of them though.

Never thought to check the fuse...will look under the dash and pull that one out to double check.

Though...I really ought to check if the clutch to the compressor is engaging. Its not stuck frozen that a good thing...I guess. Could be worse.

I would just hate to have to take it to a A/C shop and pay $100 for a $20 fix.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...I will try not to sound to dumb in answering question in the search for my answer.

I am assuming that the compressor is still okay since it starts up and blows. Just that the air is warm. I had a Viper tech change out the O rings...but I am not dead sure which ones. There was a leak in one of them though.

Never thought to check the fuse...will look under the dash and pull that one out to double check.

Though...I really ought to check if the clutch to the compressor is engaging. Its not stuck frozen that a good thing...I guess. Could be worse.

I would just hate to have to take it to a A/C shop and pay $100 for a $20 fix.

Tom or someone else can give you a more detailed/technical answer, but my air was still blowing and my compressor was not kicking on. Just warm air. I believe the compressor will not come on(clutch engaging??) if there is too much/not enough r-134a.