'08 Tuning

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How is the tuning from the factory on an 08? Is there any advantage to tuning a stock 08, or is it only beneficial after some mods?
thanks for the info,
Rich

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm curious about this too. from what i've heard, there isn't really anything available yet.

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anything new on the tuning for the 08's?

I really need the torque management turned off or moved waaaaaay up!!

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my new 08 on the Dyno and got 557 rwhp all stock.
Although these # are astounding, we noted that the Air/Fuel ratio was in the very low-safe 11's fromm 4400 rpm up. With best power normally with A/F of 12.8- 13.0 range, the Dyno operator noted that there's at least another 15-20 rwhp to be had with tuning alone,,,, when it becomes available.
Any Tuner working on this now?
Claude

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all congratulations SilveRT8 and Richie7 on your '08s. I think Mark Jorgensen from Woodhouse might know about tuning / mods for the 2008s...maybe shoot him a PM? AWESOME stock numbers, Claude~!!! :2tu: You could also put this thread in the 'grail trail' for Herb to ponder/ask the SRT Engineers? ~juli

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just picked up the "OFF ROAD" ECU today and will be installing it later this week.
I will advise if it helps or hopefully solves the problems with the power adder challenges. (torque management)

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys,
Picked up the "Racing" ECU from Dodge last week. Put over 100 miles on it and then put her on the dyno. NOTHING, not a single gain in power. VERY disappointing. I already had the Belanger headers/exhaust, high flow cats, and filters but its exactly the same.

The real question is does it unleash the nitrous?? The stock ECU is limiting the power levels. We'll find out May 8th if it unleashes the nitrous. Private track rental coming up a week from Friday!!

Reaction score
What did the power curve look like from 2000-6000? Was there anymore power or tq there because it won't add mush on the top end.

Guys,
Picked up the "Racing" ECU from Dodge last week. Put over 100 miles on it and then put her on the dyno. NOTHING, not a single gain in power. VERY disappointing. I already had the Belanger headers/exhaust, high flow cats, and filters but its exactly the same.

The real question is does it unleash the nitrous?? The stock ECU is limiting the power levels. We'll find out May 8th if it unleashes the nitrous. Private track rental coming up a week from Friday!!

Jayturbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as I know, there are some tuners that does intake, exhaust and ECU tuning and makes about 590~600RWHP.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are working on the tuning for the Gen 4 computers, stay tuned. the new Mopar computer does work (Mark at Woodhouse may have touched on this). First off, make sure you are using good fuel (93 octane or better). Even with the poor 91 fuel fuel we have here in California you will notice smoother engine operation, better throttle response, higher useable rpm and no skip shift function.

To better understand the VVT tuning on the new models, look at the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine, we did a review of the cam in cam function and engine tuning with an engine teardown. Kenny Duttweiler and our Lyle Larson did the work, we have some ideas.

My two cents,

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two dyno sheets look identical. I can't figure it out. It did lean it out but gained no power.

Same here. Peak power stayed exactly the same and I actually lost hp and tq from 3500 - 6000. Very disappointing. I tried it with race gas mixed in with 92 for an effective octane of ~96. I also tried it with straight 92. Results were identical.

I like the other features the PCM has but I don't think I can deal with the lost power. :(

VICIOUS1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So here is another question for everyone. What would the numbers be for a custom TT install or even a paxton unit put on the 08. Has anyone tried this or will all of us 08 owners be waiting for that magical performance shop to save us with some massive HP numbers?!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There currently are no tuning options for the Gen 4 Venom computer. Mopar does offer a performance computer that works well with bolt on modifications and ported cylinder heads. For boosted or highly modified engines, an aftermarket engine management system is needed. Motec, Pectel and Pro EFI are a few EMS systems that can be used. The biggest drawback is cost, these systems require a new wiring harness and several sensors. They will not pass emissions and are more suited to Motorsports applications. For big power, most choose the Generation 3 models as there are "plug and play" EMS systems available from several tuners. The Gen 3 cars are supported by SCT as well, so the stock computer can be tuned for bigger cams or boost.

The days of tuning the production engine controllers on new cars is going away. The main issue seems to be warranty and emission concerns by the manufacturers. This does open up a big door for the car companies to develop upgrades for on their own.

VICIOUS1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent information! Thank you everyone. Now, being in FL. I dont have to worry about passing a emissions test. So where do I find any of the EMS systems, I am sure I can google them, I am wanting to put together a boosted application on my GEN 4.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cory at Snake Oyl products has a Paxton package for the Gen 4's.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Gen3 owner I feel lucky. My need for a paxton dosen't exist. My need to go faster on the street also dosen't exist. I have run the dragstrip a few times running 11:55. Anything faster than 11:5 and I am out of that game. If I want more power on the strip I need a better door slammer that is better built than a stock Viper. The car just was not designed for dragracing period. to many weak links.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freaking sad, 5 years later and us gen 4 owners are still sitting in the dark! Thanks SRT! We love you too:censored:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Freaking sad, 5 years later and us gen 4 owners are still sitting in the dark! Thanks SRT! We love you too:censored:

You are welcome Moundir and thanks for the kind words! This has all been said in the past on several occasions and in several venues. however, everyone out there seems to think we just "held out" lots of power for whatever reason and it simply is not the case. It is true that the fuel mixture is richer than optimum for max power but that is done for very good reasons - to keep your valves, pistons and catalysts from ending up on the street behind you or on the dyno floor below your car. I'm sure some sharp aftermarket tuner can figure out a way to accomplish leaning out the mixture and it may last for some time before something fails, but in the end, it will fail. Same with spark...the engine could benefit from some added spark in some areas (but not all like at peak power for instance) but you would most likely experience knock or worst case, detonation as a result and you would again be sweeping parts up from under the car. Once the engine or air induction system has been modified, all bets are off without some intelligent engineering which is often difficult to find...

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very good points. Besides the Mopar controller there really is no reliable "power adding calibration" for the 08-10 models. The only time where calibration work is needed is when the engine is modifed. Cam changes, superchargers and turbochargers require a new programmable engine management system.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are welcome Moundir and thanks for the kind words! This has all been said in the past on several occasions and in several venues. however, everyone out there seems to think we just "held out" lots of power for whatever reason and it simply is not the case. It is true that the fuel mixture is richer than optimum for max power but that is done for very good reasons - to keep your valves, pistons and catalysts from ending up on the street behind you or on the dyno floor below your car. I'm sure some sharp aftermarket tuner can figure out a way to accomplish leaning out the mixture and it may last for some time before something fails, but in the end, it will fail. Same with spark...the engine could benefit from some added spark in some areas (but not all like at peak power for instance) but you would most likely experience knock or worst case, detonation as a result and you would again be sweeping parts up from under the car. Once the engine or air induction system has been modified, all bets are off without some intelligent engineering which is often difficult to find...

Thank you for your answer SRT, but doenst the same holds true for every generation before, so why is their software not locked?! Are you saying that my gen 4viper is weaker than previous models? Is this what I'm supposed to get from your answer? We gen 4 owners want to modify our cars just like we did previously with other generations but cannot due to the restraints of the venom controller. This is why we are angry! We understand the limits of the stock motor and understand the risks involved! We just want a fair shot at enjoying OUR cars any way we choose! That is all we are asking for! Why is this so difficult to understand? I love my viper, but I want more! Is that a bad thing?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer SRT, but doenst the same holds true for every generation before, so why is their software not locked?! Are you saying that my gen 4viper is weaker than previous models? Is this what I'm supposed to get from your answer? We gen 4 owners want to modify our cars just like we did previously with other generations but cannot due to the restraints of the venom controller. This is why we are angry! We understand the limits of the stock motor and understand the risks involved! We just want a fair shot at enjoying OUR cars any way we choose! That is all we are asking for! Why is this so difficult to understand? I love my viper, but I want more! Is that a bad thing?

Especially if we're outside the warranty window. If we want to blow up our engines, that's our business.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good Day SRT,

If our system can't be "unlocked" as others are asking, is it possible to have the Mopar PCM for the Gen 4 re-tuned so the throttle response speed is increased and feels like a normal high performance car? At this point, I don't think that's asking too much since I already spent the money on the Mopar PCM and throttle response on tip in is just so darn slow. Throttle response on tip in should not stress or effect the longevity of the motor, correct?? Please let me know if I'm wrong.

For those of us that own other high performance cars with FBW and very crisp and fast throttle response (what I would just consider normal), jumping into the Viper just feels so frustrating in comparision.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers,
George

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Day SRT,

If our system can't be "unlocked" as others are asking, is it possible to have the Mopar PCM for the Gen 4 re-tuned so the throttle response speed is increased and feels like a normal high performance car? At this point, I don't think that's asking too much since I already spent the money on the Mopar PCM and throttle response on tip in is just so darn slow. Throttle response on tip in should not stress or effect the longevity of the motor, correct?? Please let me know if I'm wrong.

For those of us that own other high performance cars with FBW and very crisp and fast throttle response (what I would just consider normal), jumping into the Viper just feels so frustrating in comparision.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers,
George

:eater:.....

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh. So disheartening. I want the stock power of a Gen IV but also don't want to handcuff myself to 600 HP with the throttle response of a sedan. Makes me want to go with an 06 or GTS more and more. I can just imagine how I'd feel watching some guy down the street with a 2013 GT500 spend 5-6K on additional mods (THAT IS SCT SUPPORTED) and absolutely hand me my butt as his car walks past my Gen IV all because I can't do anything but filters/exhaust.

Ford figured out how to make a Supercharged 5.8L motor pushing 650 HP tunable and those guys aren't sweeping parts out from under the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper