Changed the oil...

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And she sounds a lot better now. I don't think she enjoyed being on the same oil for two years, although it was only 2500 miles.

Anyway, the tools you'll need:

3/8" Torque Wrench
Funnel
Oil Filter Strap Wrench
15-Quart Drain Pan
16mm Socket/16mm Box Wrench
Brake Cleaner
Shop/Paper Towels
Ramps

As we all know, the Viper is too low to get onto most ramps. I have a set of Blitz Rhino Ramps and they are just a bit too tall to get the Viper on without any help. I was going to build a "step" up to the ramp with two 2"x10"x16" pieces of wood, but this worked just fine:

You must be registered for see images

I used some permanented double sided tape on the bottom of the wood where it touches the ramp and the ground, and the piece stayed in place just fine. I will eventually angle the ends of the wood so it will lay flat, but this works if you need something quick.

Once in the air, remove the oil filler cap:

Mobil1 - yuck! ;)

Get under the car and put down some newspaper so that when some oil drops on the ground, you won't get yelled at by your significant other. Put the 15 quart drain pan under the drain plug and get your 16mm box wrench and loosen the plug. Then with your arm perpendicular to the ground, remove the plug by hand:

In the middle of the drain I got an oil collection kit and took a sample, and I'll send that off tomorrow to get analyzed so we can see how the Mobil1 stood up.

Once the oil starts to trickle out of the pan, put the plug back in and finger tighten it. Then go over to the oil filter:

This was on there way too tight for me to remove by hand, so I got a strap wrench and loosened it. Unscrew it a bit and thne let the oil drain out of it while it's still attached to the car. Once this stops, continue unscrewing the filter and then let the rest of the oil drain from the oil filter post. I'd say about half a quart came out.

Then get your new filter and put some oil on the rubber gasket so it will remove easily. Get it on there and then hand tighten it - I believe the instructions on the filter say get it tight and then give it another turn. An oil filter doesn't have to be extremely tight, contrary to what a lot of people think. Just make sure it is snug and you'll be good.

When you remove the oil filter, you've changed the pressure in the system, so some more oil will go back into the oil pan. Unscrew the drain plug and watch as about another half a quart coems out. Since the car is on ramps, and the oil drain plug isn't on the back of the oil pan, there is still going to be some in the system.

This drain plug has a rubber washer built into it, which is why it doesn't need to ever be replaced. I'm not sure what the actual torque is for the drain plug, but most are about 20-25 ft/lbs, so I torqued it to 25 with my torque wrench.

Then all you need to do is add about 9 quarts of your favorite oil (I used Valvoline SynPower 10w30) and then start the car, check for leaks, and then remove it from the ramps. Let it run for a few minutes, then let it sit for about five minutes, and then check the oil level. Mine was right where it was supposed to be.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you if you are planning on changing your oil but don't know what's involved. It is a very, very straight forward process. Everything is right infront of your face, and there is plenty of room to work. You don't have to remove any splash guards or underbody panels to do this. I'd say it took only about 45 minutes to do, and most of that was waiting for the oil to drain out.

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the pan is slightly curved and the drain plug is on the lowest point, I highly doubt there was very much oil left over in the back of the pain that didn't drain.

If you look at the incline, it's really not that bad being up on the ramps.

Perhaps next time I'll get a pump and see how much is leftover in the pan after all the oil has drained. I don't think it will be too much.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial on "How to change your oil".............:rolleyes:

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial on "How to change your oil".............:rolleyes:

Hey - if you didn't want to read it, you didn't have to. I'm sure there may be a new Viper owner out there that wants to see what's involved. A lot of people are visual learners...

- Anthony

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the How To Anthony. We can never have too many how-to's on this site. Keep 'em coming. Please post pics of your oil analysis when you get the results. Are you using Blackstone for the analysis?

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the How To Anthony. We can never have too many how-to's on this site. Keep 'em coming. Please post pics of your oil analysis when you get the results. Are you using Blackstone for the analysis?

No, I hired an independent oil tribologist to do the sample and report on it. Hopefully I'll have the results by the end of the week.

- Anthony

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony,

I think you will be suprized at the amount of dirty oil that can be left in.

You sure are right about that. I remember pulling the valve covers off when I was doing the heads and realized that the heads have pockets between the valve springs where oil just pools up. I change the oil at earlier than recommended intervals and was surprised at the amount of old trapped oil. You could see the newer oil 1000mi., cleaner and light, right next to the dark pools. I have no idea why they would design the head so that all the oil does'nt drain back to the pan. I can't even imagine what a motor with some real mileage would look like. By the way, my observation is with the Gen II cylinder head.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the pan is slightly curved and the drain plug is on the lowest point, I highly doubt there was very much oil left over in the back of the pain that didn't drain.

If you look at the incline, it's really not that bad being up on the ramps.

Perhaps next time I'll get a pump and see how much is leftover in the pan after all the oil has drained. I don't think it will be too much.

You would be surprised how much oil would be left in there from only lifting the front. Looks like about 1.5 qts in yours. I usually put about 9.5 qts in on the change and then top it off the next day. I'm not sure I've ever got a full 10.5 in, but pretty close. You can't top synthetic off, without overfilling, without letting it sit for many hours.

You sure are right about that. I remember pulling the valve covers off when I was doing the heads and realized that the heads have pockets between the valve springs where oil just pools up. I change the oil at earlier than recommended intervals and was surprised at the amount of old trapped oil. You could see the newer oil 1000mi., cleaner and light, right next to the dark pools. I have no idea why they would design the head so that all the oil does'nt drain back to the pan. I can't even imagine what a motor with some real mileage would look like. By the way, my observation is with the Gen II cylinder head.

I have real mileage on ours. I change oil every 6,000 to 10,000 miles with analysis. I last changed in 10/07. That includes at least one track session per year and lots of hard SC running around. Here's what it looked like at 64,000 miles (3/07) when I put the high lift roller rockers on. 81,000 miles now. The valve cover is exactly as removed. No cleaning done. Spotless. Amsoil front to back.

Steve

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey - if you didn't want to read it, you didn't have to. I'm sure there may be a new Viper owner out there that wants to see what's involved. A lot of people are visual learners...

- Anthony

Hey Anthony,

Since you new to this forum, don't get so easily upset on some of the humorous (but never disrepectful) sarcasm you'll ocassionally get from some of us. Noticed a similar reaction from you on a previous thread. This is something we've learned to accept as members of this forum and in my own opinion, makes it that much more entertaining.

V

Venomiss

What a nice write up with pictures for anyone here on the forums.

Thank you for sharing them with everyone. Keep up the great work!

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Anthony,

Since you new to this forum, don't get so easily upset on some of the humorous (but never disrepectful) sarcasm you'll ocassionally get from some of us. Noticed a similar reaction from you on a previous thread. This is something we've learned to accept as members of this forum and in my own opinion, makes it that much more entertaining.

Not upset at all, just stating the facts. ;)

I can quickly tell that there are the members in here that love working on their cars, and the others that aren't as mechanically inclined. I just think some people have the mindset that because this is a "Viper" everything is hard to do, and it's totally the contrary.

- Anthony

MFujita

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you remove the old filter, make sure that old gasket (o-ring) comes off with the filter. Often the old gasket sticks to the engine filter mounting flange face. If you double up on the gasket, you can have a leak or blowout that can lead to engine failure. Also fill the new filter with fresh oil before you mount the new filter.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not upset at all, just stating the facts. ;)

I can quickly tell that there are the members in here that love working on their cars, and the others that aren't as mechanically inclined. I just think some people have the mindset that because this is a "Viper" everything is hard to do, and it's totally the contrary.

- Anthony

Actually , its the opposite. There are those who've got too much money and dont need to do it themselves, or the rest of us who bought this car because its one of the easiest to work on. Its a Dodge remember.

Anyways, Ill be posting my tutorial on changing airfilters to help save you the time.:2tu:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer using a simple hand jack at the jack point behind the driver's front tire to get the car up in the air (Blocks under the tire so it doesn't drop on me;)). Then, after the drain plug has been removed, I lower the car back down to level so that as much oil as possible will drain from the pan. I let it sit and drain for quite while like this when I do change oil.

With the way the oil pan is shaped, it doesn't take much of an angle for the oil to shift to the rear of the pan and away from the drain hole.

G

grcforce327

Anyways, Ill be posting my tutorial on changing airfilters to help save you the time.:2tu:

Mike,if you can find the time,could you also do a write-up on how to properly start a viper? Please include documented pictures to ease the confusion!Thanks!:2tu:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Mike....you seem to be very knowledgable with regard to the Dodge Viper SRt-10. If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me which exhaust system will net me the most power? 2004 SRT-10 in my case. Should I replace the katilictix converters? Also...what is the best tire for my Viper?

thanks for any help you can provide....I follow your posts very closey and value your opinion :)

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand you guys are attempting humor, but if you keep it up I'm actually going to make a post on how to properly start the Viper. ;) :D

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand you guys are attempting humor, but if you keep it up I'm actually going to make a post on how to properly start the Viper. ;) :D

....just turn the key as hard as you can until the motor starts to crank right???

also....I looked under the dash for like a half hour but couldn't find the hood latch...and then I locked my keys in the trunk and gave up on the oil change:confused:

p.s. as detailed as your oil change post was...you left out to make sure that the old oil filter gasket is still attached to the old oil filter...double gaskets **** and are quite messy.

welcome to the club ;)

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Mike....you seem to be very knowledgable with regard to the Dodge Viper SRt-10. If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me which exhaust system will net me the most power? 2004 SRT-10 in my case. Should I replace the katilictix converters? Also...what is the best tire for my Viper?

thanks for any help you can provide....I follow your posts very closey and value your opinion :)

Dear ICANTSMOKEMIKE,

I would leave the exhaust alone, it is probably the best out there, since it was designed specifaclly for this car and is well calibrated to suit the raw power of the Viper.
Second, Id go with Sumitomo or Hankook tires. They are priced reasonably and I beleive they come with a mileage warranty. Hopefully they make them in your size.

Thanks for your questions, I love helping out :clap2::hitfan:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth