ACR 7.22 at the Ring.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny comments from the *** lovers on motortrend

These comparisons are always funny. The VIPER ACR is a stripped out version of the baseline model with added horses. You cant even compare these laptimes to a BASELINE!!! GT-R.
Its impressive that an ENTRY LEVEL GT-R but up the fastest time a few months ago, then CHEVY and DODGE have to add onto their models to match a foreign car company yet again.

And people wonder why the Big 3 are so far behind.
ACURA23CL (Today 06:34 AM)

I'm NOT at all impressed. I agree with you jrock56, and I'm not hatin' one the Viper ACR. But let's keep it real here. The reason why the GT-Rs 7:29 'Ring run, was such a huge accomplishment was that it was a base model, weighed more than 2 tons, WITH a backseat, and cost $75K at most...and it's was running the 'Ring faster than cars almost twice it's price. Comparing apples-to-apples, the baseline Viper holds a sticker of close to $100K, and it can't even hang with the GT-R!!! Main arguement...Dodge hasn't put up the numbers, and you haven't even heard any news of a baseline Viper on the 'Ring. Sure, if you spend enough money, I'm sure you can beat the GT-Rs numbers. 'F**k outta here with that bullsh!t!!!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is awesome to see. GREAT JOB SRT!!!!!!!!
Way to step up and get some publicity for the Viper. So many people have started to doubt the Viper compared to the ZR1 and GT-R. Everyone on this forum knew who the king was and now the rest of the world does too.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The person who drove the ZR1 was a highly skilled driver with obvious, extensive experience with the car. He had the car on the edge of adhesion during the entire run. If you do not believe me, listen to the ZR1 run again.

2. The Viper driver clearly needed more seat time. He lifted three times on the last long straightaway and he did not shift on a number of occassions when he should have. There also is very little screeching indicating that he had room to improve performance. But, with the seat time he had, he did damn well.

3. When I saw he ZR1 video, I thought it would be the ZR1's acceleration vs the ACR's downforce and handling advantage. The time says it all. Congratulations SRT. Well done!!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That video is a fine example of the phrase, "Drive it like you stole it."

....they just picked some shlub out of the weeds to drive it.
LMAO!!!
I just had this image of some bowtie guy running over to the edge of the track and pointing at a random guy, "Hey you.....come over here."
The guy, stunned, does the 'who-me? looks behind himself' move.
"Have I got something fun for you to do....let me get you a helmet....."
:D

What's that sound? It's ZR1 owners who paid 20K over sticker for 2nd place fainting this morning. :2tu:
If you listen real close, you can hear the ZR1 dealers that were asking MSRP x4 shi**ing their pants.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With about 24 seconds left in the vid he's on the long straight. He hits the rev limiter over and over again. Each time he eases off then accelerates until he hits it again. Why didn't he upshift to 5th? Any ideas? I figure there's about 1.5 there. Why? Am I missing something?

Anyway FANFREAK'NTASTIC!

My ACR should arrive any day now......

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure that is the rev limiter. Can anyone confirm? In my 04 when I hit the rev limiter my power dies completely and the car falls on its face?

With about 24 seconds left in the vid he's on the long straight. He hits the rev limiter over and over again. Each time he eases off then accelerates until he hits it again. Why didn't he upshift to 5th? Any ideas? I figure there's about 1.5 there. Why? Am I missing something?

Anyway FANFREAK'NTASTIC!

My ACR should arrive any day now......

pakisho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome.

But the comment re: noise from the tires.......cups dont make much noise when being pushed, in my experience?

And comments re: Mero's experience, short shifting fourth, bad gearing etc....folks this is a 7.5 minute track, not a 1:30 track like willow springs. There is way more margin for error. It basically proves that the viper will outrun the vette and the gtr on a track, which is no surprise, but picking nits over a second here and a second there is pretty irrelevant.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZR1 was driven buy a GM engineer tech and NOT a pro Viper driver with only a 2 second difference. Plus most Corvette and Viper owners dont track their car and with the majority being street driven, the ZR 1 will kick ass on many new Vipers.
Please tell me you are joking. Did you see the ZR-1 video?

That driver drove the freaking wheels off that car. The Viper ACR just kicked ass, plain and simple. :drive:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell me you are joking. Did you see the ZR-1 video?

That driver drove the freaking wheels off that car. The Viper ACR just kicked ass, plain and simple. :drive:

Some vette guy was claiming that it's all in the tires... that given the same tires on a ZR1, it would run the ring 15 seconds faster! And that's BEFORE adding a "pro" driver. :omg:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some vette guy was claiming that it's all in the tires... that given the same tires on a ZR1, it would run the ring 15 seconds faster! And that's BEFORE adding a "pro" driver. :omg:

It's my understanding that the ZR-1 DID have 'R' compound tires. Not PSC but I think a specially built Goodyear tire. I don't recall where I heard this though.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mero was very clearly getting much closer to 100% out of the ZR1 than Coronel was of the ACR. No question mid-teens would be possible in the ACR given a bit more time for the driver. I'd love to see Mero drive the ACR actually, though he may be a bit conflicted.

Anybody that's surprised the ACR was faster is a *****. Still, I don't necessarily see this as a failure of GM with the ZR1. Throw some Sport Cups, wing/splitter, and coilovers on a ZR1, and you have a very close race between the two. Dodge just saw fit to sell a version of the car with "Phase 2" track ****** mods already done to it, while GM leaves it as an exercise to the owner. If they can find time between coats of Zaino, that is...:smirk:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mero was very clearly getting much closer to 100% out of the ZR1 than Coronel was of the ACR. No question mid-teens would be possible in the ACR given a bit more time for the driver. I'd love to see Mero drive the ACR actually, though he may be a bit conflicted.

Anybody that's surprised the ACR was faster is a *****. Still, I don't necessarily see this as a failure of GM with the ZR1. Throw some Sport Cups, wing/splitter, and coilovers on a ZR1, and you have a very close race between the two. Dodge just saw fit to sell a version of the car with "Phase 2" track ****** mods already done to it, while GM leaves it as an exercise to the owner. If they can find time between coats of Zaino, that is...:smirk:

Great idea. Then the Corvette would really haul! But of course you'll have to put a supercharger on the ACR to make it really even....

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW, Power additions are fairly easy to do and are especially easy to measure. Suspension tuning is a little more invloved and is a little harder to measure but aero is impossible to do without a wind tunnel. I've seen many shops with dyno's but none with a wind tunnel. Sure you can buy a wing but you'll never know what you're getting until you go to a wind tunnel. If a wind tunnel is part of a 'phase 2 track ******'s' arsenal I want to be that guys buddy.

In this case Dodge has decided to add the most difficult part of the car to engineer, at the factory. A supercharger is certainly involved but it's nothing like aero.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With so much being made of the Ring numbers lately I'm totally relieved that SRT finally took the new Viper out on the Ring to show what the car was capable of to everyone.
And they set a record for production cars on their first time out!:drive:

Think about it. You guys are talking about the GTR and ZR-1, but this time beats a LOT of serious supercars, many that were campaigned there:

7:22.1 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR
Stock ACR specification with ******** Package.

7:26.4 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1
base specification car with stock tires.

7:27 Pagani Zonda F Clubsport

7:29 Nissan GT-R, base GTR with stock tires.

7:32.02 Porsche 911 GT2.
Semi-slicks tires used.

7:32.44 Porsche Carrera GT

7:34 Koenigsegg CCR

7:35 Ruf Rt 12

7:39 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

7:40 Bugatti Veyron 16.4

7:40 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

7:40 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

7:40.6 Ford GT

So much for the notion that Vipers are only good for drag racing.;)

Kudos to the SRT group for proving to the world that the Viper is one of the fastest performance cars period! :2tu:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now it makes me wonder, against that group of supercars, where would the 06 SRT-10 and 08 SRT-10 stack up.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VCA sticker made me feel like we were all there - breaking the record with him! That is one exciting drive! Imagine if he had just one more run!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also...Kudos to the person that placed the VCA sticker on the dash! :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, what is the story on how that VCA decal got there? AWESOME achievement! I can only wish I had known in advance, I would definately have made plans to be there when Tom was doing his thing.

Last edited:

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the GM guys saying the the ZR1 should use the same tires and coilovers...... give the viper the same carbon brakes and gears found in the ZR1 (keep the supercharger, we dont need it), and then lets talk....

Fact is, stock for stock, ACR wins with a big margin for improvment... Nice going dodge :2tu:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The newb Viper driver left a good 4 seconds on the table and it still kicked the ever living **** out of any street car. This ACR is something worth getting excited about, to say the least. It has single handedly restored pride in the name "Viper" and is pure performance, just as a Viper should be. I don't agree with some of the decor (colors, wheels, etc) but with such astounding performance, it doesn't really matter. God bless Chrysler for building this monster and long live the Viper.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like you dont think ZR1 will beat up on it anymore. Im glad to see you are back on team viper.

The newb Viper driver left a good 4 seconds on the table and it still kicked the ever living **** out of any street car. This ACR is something worth getting excited about, to say the least. It has single handedly restored pride in the name "Viper" and is pure performance, just as a Viper should be. I don't agree with some of the decor (colors, wheels, etc) but with such astounding performance, it doesn't really matter. God bless Chrysler for building this monster and long live the Viper.

blue01gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is great, all the Chevy boys had to say were that they were the "king of the ring" well not anymore! hahaha

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly, ZR1 deliveries are on hold anyway. So the Cheby boys really only have the Z06 to compare with the ACR at this point:lmao:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the horsepower wars winding down, this car will be the one people will want in 20 years (and now as well). It will be unrivaled. Car companies do not have excessive cash laying around today for testing. This is the peak.

And look at the hyper exotic (cost no object) cars that the ACR beat. Wow.....just wow.

And just imagine the show car ACR that had 680 horsepower. Talk about a rocket sled. Could you imagine what that thing does?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456