ACR 7.22 at the Ring.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

favorite post:

"did you see how many times he almost lost it with having to way overcorrect steering inputs. WOw what a VIOLENT car. A less experienced driver would have ate it for sure. It takes ALOT more skill to wrangle that kind of time out of a beats like that. That viper looks like it is itching to kill its driver 80% of the time. Impressive ... but wouldnt want to drive it on the roads!"

HAHAHA... this guy "gets" it, but will probably never get it! :lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite quotes from the GT-R forum:
"Dont need heated seats in that thing, your too busy ****ting your pants! " :lmao:
"I am just happy they beat the ZR1. That s a big old FU to GM and the POS vette. " :2tu:

They seem to be taking it well though...much better then the Vette group.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, i was surprised to see those nissan guys are actually a classy bunch

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The newb Viper driver left a good 4 seconds on the table and it still kicked the ever living **** out of any street car.
I say that if people do not think Sabine Schmidt with her hundres of laps around the ring in a Gen II Viper could not shave an easy 5 seconds off that time they are crazy.

[EDIT] scratch that - 10 seconds easy - the GT-R board guys are saying 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like you dont think ZR1 will beat up on it anymore. Im glad to see you are back on team viper.
I never expected the ZR1 to beat the ACR on a road course. Whatever the performance may be, I favor the Viper over any vette by a longshot.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yea, i was surprised to see those nissan guys are actually a classy bunch
I agree! The Nissan bunch seems to be really psyched about the results and are not trashing the Viper. :2tu: I think it's cool that they were talking a little trash about the ZR1. :lmao:

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can download the high quality video? I absolutely must save this!!!!!

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, like that ZR1 at the ring was not totally prepped for months before it's race and they just picked some shlub out of the weeds to drive it. The time is the time.

What's that sound? It's ZR1 owners who paid 20K over sticker for 2nd place fainting this morning. :2tu:

Anyone who pays 20k over sticker has to much money or not to many brains IMO, but 2 seconds advantage on a track that takes over 7 minutes to get around is not a lot whichever car was faster. I am just as sure as you are the vette was no more prepped than the viper and since it had no ACR in its sites probably less. Ron Fellows on that track in the ZR1 would have probably been in the mid teens, and maybe with a different driver or gearing in the ACR it would be also. To really make a fair comparison without all this forum BS would be to have the cars on the same track the same day with the same driver in both and then you would know which car truly is the fastest around the ring. I did think it was impressive that the ACR was able to turn a faster lap than a car that has better accelleration and 30 mph more top end than it does but when I gave it more thought I came to the conclusion with a difference that big it almost had to be the superior driver that made up for the lack of speed. I think both cars are great and would like one of each, and I as matter of fact that is exactly what I am going to do!

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can download the high quality video? I absolutely must save this!!!!!

I assume our fearless leaders are smart enough to sell dvd's of this event. Most of us would be sucker enough to buy it (me included). :D

btw... I already have it in my iphone. :eater:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please tell me you are joking. Did you see the ZR-1 video?

That driver drove the freaking wheels off that car. The Viper ACR just kicked ass, plain and simple. :drive:
Please do some research as I did before replying. Look at the ZR1 video again and see who the driver is in the credits at start of video. Its Jim Mero. Then google his name and see his position. He is a GM engineer (with obviously a lot of track time) but NOT a pro driver as the ACR dude with tons of Ring experience.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please do some research as I did before replying. Look at the ZR1 video again and see who the driver is in the credits at start of video. Its Jim Mero. Then google his name and see his position. He is a GM engineer (with obviously a lot of track time) but NOT a pro driver as the ACR dude with tons of Ring experience.

but... no experience in an ACR. Not bad for 4 runs... How many did Jim have?

black08

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Pro driver or not, there is obviously a reason that GM decided to put Mero behind the wheel of the ZR1. I would venture a guess that if he was one of the development engineers on the project, he probably had hundreds of hours behind the wheel of the ZR1 and knew it how to drive it at the limit as well or better than just about anyone else. The ACR driver, on the other hand, while a pro, didn't remotely have the seat time in the Gen 4 ACR that Mero had in the ZR1.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say that if people do not think Sabine Schmidt with her hundres of laps around the ring in a Gen II Viper could not shave an easy 5 seconds off that time they are crazy.

[EDIT] scratch that - 10 seconds easy - the GT-R board guys are saying 15 seconds.

Sabine Schmidt has lapped the Nürburgring 14-15 thousand times. She said it herself on Top Gear. She should be able to shave off a significant amount of time.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I assume our fearless leaders are smart enough to sell dvd's of this event. Most of us would be sucker enough to buy it (me included). :D

btw... I already have it in my iphone. :eater:

I hope so, i'd definatley buy one!!!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done SRT and VCA! Now that's impressive. It's called Walking the Walk! The Colonel is fantastic, and ya, the car is brutal at the limit...like the Cobra. I think the bumping of the shifter was the car turning the tires. Stickies will do that. For comparison, I think the Formula One record at the Ring is 7:15. Curiously, its an 09 Viper ACR that they brought...Also,seat time isn't everything... I think SRT chose its team wisely, as the results show.

Last edited:

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nxInpgTGc[/media]
Damn!
That was going to be my project tonight!!!

Just some quick notes:
- It's close during the first minute, but after that the ACR never trails.
- The ACR crosses under a bridge at 6:36. The ZR1 at 6:42.
- The ACR crosses under a bridge at 7:00. The ZR1 at 7:05.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the ACR vid was painful. He missed a shift at the 5:37 mark and kept bouncing off the limiter. Jeeze man, if you're hitting the limiter your waiting waaaaaaaay too long to shift.

He finally settled down a bit and started to smooth things out in the final third of the vid.

In comparison, the ZR1 driver was smooth as silk all the way through the run.

I'm guessing a smooth driver in the ACR will knock some serious time off.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the ACR vid was painful. He missed a shift at the 5:37 mark and kept bouncing off the limiter. Jeeze man, if you're hitting the limiter your waiting waaaaaaaay too long to shift.

He finally settled down a bit and started to smooth things out in the final third of the vid.

In comparison, the ZR1 driver was smooth as silk all the way through the run.

I'm guessing a smooth driver in the ACR will knock some serious time off.

They shoulda just brought you... I'm sure you'd work for peanuts. :D

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is seriously awesome. It kind of feels like when my home team won the Super Bowl (only with less camera angles.)

SRT Rocks!
All those ******* morons who are constantly yapping about Vipers not being able to handle can now just go ****.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, what is the story on how that VCA decal got there?
I posted this on a similar thread yesterday, so my apologies for the duplicate language...

The VCA treasurer actually approached SRT a couple months ago after reading the various threads about sending the ACR to The Ring - over and over again. Like many individuals here had already done, we offered to help Chrysler pay to send a car and team over there. Turns out they had already been discussing it internally. Guess what? Our enthusiasm helped finalize that decision. And the cost to the club? Prepare the video footage shot over there. It was SRT that suggested the decal on the dash. Is there anybody that still doubts the group's dedication to the Viper and its owners?

The folks at VOI got to see the finished product when we debuted the extended length, higher definition video just before Motor Trend published the raw footage last night. Goosebumps abounded as the video started with published times of Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bugatti Veyron, and that Chevy thingie. The run included telemetry such as the lateral G's and down force. Ever seen a car generate 1200+ pounds of down force? The folks at VOI did and the cheers were deafening. The wrap up at the end with commentary from the driver (Tom Coronel) was awesome, including just a little dig at our Chevy friends across town. The VCA will make that video (suitable for your big screen TV) available very soon. Look for an abbreviated version on You Tube at some point soon.

Our thanks to Brian Paddock of Paddock Productions for the awesome video editing with very little time to do it. This run was done on August 18th and has a few other interesting facts to go with it:

1. Tom had never driven the ACR before.
  2. He broke the record on his third lap in the car.
  3. He missed two shifts (not just one).
  4. He faced a pretty strong headwind on that final straight - so much so that the Viper's stock gearing and enormous down force made it impractical to use 5th gear.
  5. The car did NOT bottom out or hit the wheel liners: The Ring is notorious for chewing up splitters on high performance cars and the sounds you hear are the splitter doing exactly as was expected. Indeed, many teams fully expect to have only 10% of the original splitter still intact at the end of a 24 hour race at Nürburgring.
Another interesting thing to note is that both the ZR1 and GT-R were manufacturer claimed with NO media certification. The ACR run was witnessed directly by two independent media sources, one of which was Motor Trend. So for independently witnesssed and verified times the ACR owns the record by a lot more than 4 seconds. :D

Our thanks to the SRT folks for making so many dreams a reality. We are honored that you allowed the VCA to play a role in such a momentous occasion. Oh, and we will indeed make DVD's available that will show you all kinds of cool stuff, like this:

nurscreen.jpg

Watch for more information on how to order that DVD soon!