1/2 mile or 1 mile event ??

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do one for a while. I struck out renting a local airport near me. Does anyone know of a small airport or place big enough to hold a 1/2 mile timed event ?

And would anyone else wanna try it ?

I don't wanna drive out to maxton or the silver state this year to do one....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rte 15 North or South, between Exits 63 & 64 between 2am and 3am. :D

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't ROE's shop at the end of a runway?? Maybe we could do a little BBQ and run. ;)
picture.php

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with Plumbcrazy! :2tu: I would like to do this also but I will not make the Silverstate Rally. I am in upstate NY near Niagara Falls. I would love to find a 1 mile long, plus stopping distance, track airport or other suitable place to make some top speed "timed" runs. I would hope we could find one in between us and get more people involved! :drive::drive::drive:

ViperTony Who will do the timing?? :confused: Oh never mind, silly me, I am sure the local police will volunteer to do it for you!! :lmao:

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im down! Has anyone done any open road racing? I am planing on racing in one of the Nevada events but havent done one yet.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ny/ct club has some timing equipment and I think it might be able to be used....

I don't care where as long as its east coast and northern preferrably. If roe can pull it off, let's try and do it this dec maybe around the supercar shootout ?

At least there is "some" interest here.

Tony , I got rt287 right by my house and can even get a cop friend to help out as he patrols that area but gonna be tough to do some timing...lol

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plum are you looking for timing or just top speed! :dunno: I am sure your cop friend has a radar or Lazer gun. :omg: Just make sure you turn off the Jammer. :rolaugh:

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Newburg, NY has a small airport that can be rented for events. Not 100% sure.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ny/ct club has some timing equipment and I think it might be able to be used....

I don't care where as long as its east coast and northern preferrably. If roe can pull it off, let's try and do it this dec maybe around the supercar shootout ?

At least there is "some" interest here.

Tony , I got rt287 right by my house and can even get a cop friend to help out as he patrols that area but gonna be tough to do some timing...lol

Mamba was trying to find a place where can test our lauching techniques, do the 1/4 mile, etc. There's nothing in CT. There's a petition going around to re-open the CT Drag Racing facility by private investors but the State of CT wants nothing to do with drag racing. The only airport here is Bradley up in Windsor Locks but I seriously doubt they'd let us on the runways. I know there's at least 5-6 Viper owners here that would love this event.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Newburg, NY has a small airport that can be rented for events. Not 100% sure.

thats pretty centrally located for all of us id think. anyone have a hook for this ?

and i guess both speed and time. but i dont care either way, whatever everyone wants to do is good with me....

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am in Newburgh. There is Stewart International Airport and I have already inquired about a "quick run" but was shot down.
Maby a more formal request from a reputable club would be better recieved.
They do have events take place there but not realy on the runway.
A couple of miles away there is Orange County Airport but I don't know the specs of that runway. Dutchess County Airport is also near by.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know about the Newburgh Airport/Stewart! We may be up for THAT one! (But, Phil, you said DECEMBER???? You KNOW what that'll be like up here!) ~juli

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Juli, Phil was talking about Dec in FLA. not NY Unless you were thinking of driving the Viper down!

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Pe5787, I have been looking at the Silver State Clasic just north of Vegas for a while now. Just can't find the time to trailer out, do the run, and back in a reasonable time frame and cost. It is a twice a yera event I think the Fall run would be better temp wise. If a couple of people were intrested and a milti car hauler trailer was involved it may work out. But for me it would be next year now anyway!
Is anybody intrested or have some of the equipment we need Trailer? Tow vehicle?

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a toterhome and three car stacker available. I was thinking about shipping the car and flying out to meet it , otherwise its a couple of weeks on the road and I just cant spend that much time.

Hey Pe5787, I have been looking at the Silver State Clasic just north of Vegas for a while now. Just can't find the time to trailer out, do the run, and back in a reasonable time frame and cost. It is a twice a yera event I think the Fall run would be better temp wise. If a couple of people were intrested and a milti car hauler trailer was involved it may work out. But for me it would be next year now anyway!
Is anybody intrested or have some of the equipment we need Trailer? Tow vehicle?

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just so happens that O.C.C. headquarters is right next to Stewart.
I think the airport is run by the NY Port Authority.
There is also an Air National Guard station that shares the runways. They might be another avenue onto the runway if someone has an in there. There are 2 runways, one is only 1 mile long but the other is over 2.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two airports for sure that are available for rent on the Island. If you need more info, PM me and I will ask my friend about it as he has done it before.

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
grumman rd calverton ny - Google Maps

I'd be interested in doing this.

Grumman Rd in Calverston NY
There is an old airfield there with two runways. Each about a mile long. I don't know if it is open to the public or if you can get on but it might be worth a shot. I know the airbase was turned in an industrial park. I don't know what they do with the runways.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club does have timing equipment. But we've never found a location. We've looked all over the place for an autocross venue and never found one.

Maybe ACR Steve knows one or Andrew 2K?

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you try and maybe you will get a better answer than i did. i have a customer that works in one of the old hangers and he told me they dont do it anymore. but that was last year.

keep me posted and if we need to go out there, im game on the weekends and during the week if im home

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems there is a related charity looking to raise funds:
Grumman Memorial Park
I'm going to give them a call and see if perhaps we can work something out. They might have better connections into the airfield then most people. We help them, they help us. Seems pretty simple to me.