Mobil 1 0w40 vs. Mobil 1 0w30 vs. Mobil 1 10w30

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and found lots of info on 10w30 vs. 0w40 in the Gen 3 forum, but nothing on 0w30 either here or the Gen 3 forum. I went 0w40 shopping at Wal-Mart and like most, struck out. They do however have plenty of the Mobil One 0w30 5 qt. jugs (same price as 10w30). The label says "exceeds 10w30 and 5w30 warranty requirements". I'm assuming I'll be safe, but figured I'd check here 1st. Usage will be no track time, but a good run from the cops once a week or so. They also have a high mileage 10w30, and since I have 85k miles, should I go with that? The 0w30 says it will improve gas mileage on the label :D So, 10w30, 10w30 high mileage or 0w30? :drive: TIA!

VA VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want to stay with Mobil 1 0w-40w, try Advance Auto or Auto Zone. I have purchased the 2008 recommemded Mobil 1 from both of the above stores.

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good question Chad ......... and now THIS question arises, would using 0W40 void the ext. warranty if 10W30 is being recommended ?! :confused:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and found lots of info on 10w30 vs. 0w40 in the Gen 3 forum, but nothing on 0w30 either here or the Gen 3 forum. I went 0w40 shopping at Wal-Mart and like most, struck out. They do however have plenty of the Mobil One 0w30 5 qt. jugs (same price as 10w30). The label says "exceeds 10w30 and 5w30 warranty requirements". I'm assuming I'll be safe, but figured I'd check here 1st. Usage will be no track time, but a good run from the cops once a week or so. They also have a high mileage 10w30, and since I have 85k miles, should I go with that? The 0w30 says it will improve gas mileage on the label :D So, 10w30, 10w30 high mileage or 0w30? :drive: TIA!

As the general consumer, we have gotten too focused on the viscosity grade and should look for how much additive is in the bottle. You've all gotten tired of me noting that diesel engine oil has 2X the additive that gasoline passenger car oil has, and this is regardless of whether it is synthetic or mineral oil.

The 10W30 is a common "US" viscosity and will probably only have API credentials. The 0W40 is a popular Euro viscosity, and so will have API as well as ACEA gasoline and ACEA diesel performance. It will have more additives to last longer, protect better, and under more circumstances than an API-only graded oil.

High mileage oils typically only have more seal-swell additives to prevent leaks from dried gaskets. Maybe, maybe they have more detergents to clean up dirty engines - something that regular oil changes wouldn't have anyway.

The gas mileage difference is on the order of 0.5% to 1.5%. That's huge if you measure over the entire country's population of vehicles, but not measurable by you.

In my opinion, the "best" oil of the group is the one that includes ACEA or some mention of European oil performance.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the general consumer, we have gotten too focused on the viscosity grade and should look for how much additive is in the bottle. You've all gotten tired of me noting that diesel engine oil has 2X the additive that gasoline passenger car oil has, and this is regardless of whether it is synthetic or mineral oil.

The 10W30 is a common "US" viscosity and will probably only have API credentials. The 0W40 is a popular Euro viscosity, and so will have API as well as ACEA gasoline and ACEA diesel performance. It will have more additives to last longer, protect better, and under more circumstances than an API-only graded oil.

High mileage oils typically only have more seal-swell additives to prevent leaks from dried gaskets. Maybe, maybe they have more detergents to clean up dirty engines - something that regular oil changes wouldn't have anyway.

The gas mileage difference is on the order of 0.5% to 1.5%. That's huge if you measure over the entire country's population of vehicles, but not measurable by you.

In my opinion, the "best" oil of the group is the one that includes ACEA or some mention of European oil performance.

Thanks Tom (as usual :) )! The 0w30 mentions European oil performance, its at Wal-Mart in the 5 qt jugs and I can save .005 gal/tank of gas ( :rolaugh: ). I'll pick up 2 jugs tomorrow

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have Mobil1 0W 40 at the Wal-Mart by my house. They also carry it at Autozone buts it's cheaper at Wal-Mart. It's also the spec oil in my wife's MB E500.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Tom, how do you tell from the label what additives are in, quantities, and which ones matter?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't tell the quantity from the label. However, the more engine tests it has to pass (API tests needing the least, API + ACEA needs more, US diesel tests need most) the more additive it has. Some of that is because the added tests need some added different kind of additive, some tests are longer or hotter and need more additive, and some tests demonstrate long drain capability, so there is more additive again. As an ex-formulator, very roughly I can tell you the API only oils have about 1X the additive amount, Euro oils are 1.4X - 1.5X, and diesel oils about 2X.

You also can't tell the type of additive. Short of finding out from the oil marketer, all the general consumer can do is a) visit their local car forums ;) and b) know that if one oil has more standardized performance claims than another, it should be better. Viscosity isn't part of the equation.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom (as usual :) )! The 0w30 mentions European oil performance, its at Wal-Mart in the 5 qt jugs and I can save .005 gal/tank of gas ( :rolaugh: ). I'll pick up 2 jugs tomorrow

Just so I don't mislead anyone, the 0w30 does NOT mention European oil performance. I went back today to buy it and noticed I had only imagined seeing something about European oil performance. Or either the voices in my head had lied to me about it. I still bought it though since it exceeds 5w30 and 10w30 requirements.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 0W-xx oils are more prone to heat-related issues since the base oil viscosity is very low. (Chad, I know you remember that multigrade oils are made by starting with a base oil of roughly the low "W" rating and then adding viscosity index improvers to make it behave like a thicker oil when it gets hot. A multigrade is not a thick oil that is made to behave like a thin oil when it gets cold.) To ensure these low base oil viscosity formulations don't evaporate or boil off or cause added deposit problems, they are subject to more testing. Therefore the explanation on the back of the bottle will say that exceed 5W30 or 10W30 requirements because the 5W30 or 10W30 oils didn't have as many requirements.

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry for reviving a dead thread but i looked through my 04 manual and it says 10w30 but mobil 1 says 0w30?

though 0w30 was too thin?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been using 0w40 in my '01 for many many oil changes. WalMart just started carrying it here in redneckville, but it is still cheaper at the auto parts when they do their filter specials 5 qts plus filter $29.99.

My car does run quieter at start up with the 0w40. May be due to the lighter viscosity.

You must be registered for see images

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry for reviving a dead thread but i looked through my 04 manual and it says 10w30 but mobil 1 says 0w30?

though 0w30 was too thin?
I think the key is the "30" number - the viscosity hot. That's where 99.99% of your engine spends its running life. 10-30 and 0-30 are the same (except for the 0-30 has more additive goodness) after about a minute of running.....just easier to pump and protect when its cold when its thinner so it probably protects better then too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper