Clunking from the rear when going over bumps?

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like it's the convertible top or something similar, but I hear a clunking coming from the right rear of the car when I go over bumps. The previous owner took the car into the dealer for this and the report said they found it to be normal for the convertibles.

Can anyone confirm this?

- Anthony

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure it is not coming from under the car like from a half shaft or a bad shock?

Not sure... it sounds like it's the convertible top clunking a bit, but I doubt it would move when it's latched down in place.

It sounds like a suspension clunk to be honest. It's pretty noticeable.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not just the convertibles, my 06 coupe and my previous 04 Mamba vert had the same sound, right rear over choppy bumps.....have yet to find out what it is

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it is only over bumps, you might want to check the battery to see if it is secured properly. I have not heard of anyone having this problem but there is always a first time. I am assuming that you have a stock suspension - correct?

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just want to throw out there that when my passenger side seat belt is tangling behind the passenger seat, it rattles against the plastic piece behind the seat when I go over bumps. Took me a while to figure out where that noise was coming from.

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it is only over bumps, you might want to check the battery to see if it is secured properly. I have not heard of anyone having this problem but there is always a first time. I am assuming that you have a stock suspension - correct?

The battery was previously replaced, so I will check that again. However isn't the battery on the drivers side?

And yes, I do have the stock suspension.

TTviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '08 black coupe and had a similar noise where there was a bind then release...

It was tracked down to a bushing with the RR sway bar...

--
Terra
08 Black Coupe

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to throw out there that when my passenger side seat belt is tangling behind the passenger seat, it rattles against the plastic piece behind the seat when I go over bumps. Took me a while to figure out where that noise was coming from.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. However, this is a much, much louder clunking noise.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good suggestion, although the battery is on the left. I guess it could make one think it is the right corner. I'd check that to as Bob suggests. Who knows.....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery was previously replaced, so I will check that again. However isn't the battery on the drivers side?
And yes, I do have the stock suspension.

The battery is a bit to the left of the center as you face the rear of the car but I have found that the direction of the source of a sound is sometimes hard to determine in the Viper. Once you figure it out, please post.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I experienced the exact same thing in my '06 and never could figure out where the rattling sound came from. Since the rattle was way more obvious with the convertible top up, I incorrectly assumed it was the top that made the noise... Tom Sessions (my vipertech) quickly figured out that it was the seatbelt after taking the car for quick test drive :D

Anyway, I'd say that the seatbelt makes a rattle, not a clunk...

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I have found for that right rear rattle: Remove you right rear inner fender well/skirt and directly above the tire you'll see a bolt hanging down, it will be a 13mm on top, see if that is loose? If so tighten it up and see if your rattle is gone? That bolt has been the source for rattles on 7 or 8 Vipers so far!

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I have found for that right rear rattle: Remove you right rear inner fender well/skirt and directly above the tire you'll see a bolt hanging down, it will be a 13mm on top, see if that is loose? If so tighten it up and see if your rattle is gone? That bolt has been the source for rattles on 7 or 8 Vipers so far!

Great, thanks. I will check that when I flush the brake fluid hopefully this weekend.

- Anthony

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will be checking that this weekend, if that is what it is, you truly are "the Wizard", but then we already knew that:D

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems like it's the convertible top or something similar, but I hear a clunking coming from the right rear of the car when I go over bumps. The previous owner took the car into the dealer for this and the report said they found it to be normal for the convertibles.

Can anyone confirm this?

- Anthony

Did you ever find the problem? My 08 coupe rattles on the right side rear over choppy bumps just a you discribed. I've checked every bolt back there. I have even adjusted the deck lid thinking that might be the source.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 04 and now my 06 does the same thing, Chuck posted earlier in this thread about the bolt inside the fender liner directly above the right rear tire being the culprit, but I haven't had the chance to tear mine apart to look for it....not sure how easy it is to take the liner out of the wheel well

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 04 and now my 06 does the same thing, Chuck posted earlier in this thread about the bolt inside the fender liner directly above the right rear tire being the culprit, but I haven't had the chance to tear mine apart to look for it....not sure how easy it is to take the liner out of the wheel well

I have the inter fender liner off and didn't see that 13mm nut (lots of 10mm) I found the 19mm nut that holds the upper sway bar knuckle to the A Arm slightly loose, tighten it 2 turns. Just took it out for a test drive and the clunk seems to be gone!

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The clunky noise like you described is what I have heard from day 1 on my 04 srt10 but mine happens mostly when in low speeds parking lot light throttle input and seems to go away when I put the clutch in. A dodge service guy said "they all do that". David at ART said it might be my stock gears starting to approach the end. I don't hear it much when going over bumps but as described above. The car has 9k miles on it and it definately comes from underneath the car but I can't locate from which point front/back. Its a back and forth clunking while the car is wanting to crawl forward and it rocks back and forth?

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the inter fender liner off and didn't see that 13mm nut (lots of 10mm) I found the 19mm nut that holds the upper sway bar knuckle to the A Arm slightly loose, tighten it 2 turns. Just took it out for a test drive and the clunk seems to be gone!
most likely noise was comming from the suspension componets being loose,good to hear your noise is gone mine was driving me :crazy2:

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, thought I had updated this after it was fixed. The problem was the sway bar end link was coming loose. That was all.

- Anthony

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE..the noise came back stronger then ever so i took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago. Got the car back today... the right rear shock was replaced and the rattle is gone.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this on my '08 ceovertible and it runed out to be that the bolt in the sway bar bracket had backed itself almost all the way out!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the odds this thread came up. My car has been making some bad noise too in the passenger side rear. I will have to show this to my viper tech.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had/has this problem too, but since I put my Bellanger system on, it has never come back, or I just can hear a damn thing in there anymore. :)

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had everything checked more than twice on my '08 to discover the problem and no solutions. Solution was to replace the rear end. Problem solved. The other "remaining" noise is just drivetrain slop/***** that you get going very slow in say a parking structure. You can clutch often, coast,and smoothly engage the clutch, etc. to minimize this. My "clunk" was especially noticeable on tight radius slow turns, and particularly on the passenger side rear.

Good luck!

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This EXACT same thing is happening on my 06 SRT-10 Coupe. It started after an autocross event and has been getting worse the last few days. It's a loud (embarrassing) clunking noise coming from the drivers side rear suspension area. I too have checked the battery and it's really secure. I'm going to check out the rear suspension, sway bar links, etc this Saturday morning. Fingers crossed I can find and fix it. I'll surely post an update...