ACR Rear Wing

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am just stunned, but when I look at the new ACR rear wings, all I see supporting them is the trunk lid. Does that make sence or is there something I am missing?:dunno:

Just seems odd that there is many 100 lbs pushing down on only the trunk lid.

Any thoughts:lmao::rolleyes:

Robert

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I weigh 280 lbs and I wouldn't sit on that wing but I guess it would support me.

I know that not all the downforce is from the wings but it still has to endure a large load.

I'm picking my ACR up later today and I'll take a good look at what's under there.

Greg

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an APR wing and they used a piece of honey comb carbon fiber underneath to bolt it down.

[media]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r172/Khumidin/KhumisIphone053.jpg[/media]

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe I am just stunned, but when I look at the new ACR rear wings, all I see supporting them is the trunk lid. Does that make sence or is there something I am missing?.......Just seems odd that there is many 100 lbs pushing down on only the trunk lid....Any thoughts...Robert

My thoughts:

1) At speed, the downforce is more like 800-1000 lbs !

2) The drag-shearing forces are pretty serious as well...stick your ARM out at 100 mph!

3) After inspecting the OE mounting hardware, I was expecting a more serious package. I trust that the wind-tunnel time proved it more than adequate.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts:

1) At speed, the downforce is more like 800-1000 lbs !

2) The drag-shearing forces are pretty serious as well...stick your ARM out at 100 mph!

3) After inspecting the OE mounting hardware, I was expecting a more serious package. I trust that the wind-tunnel time proved it more than adequate.

1) Actually, over 1200 pounds at speeds under 170 MPH:

1216.jpg

2) Definitely not a speed to play "airplane" with your arm out the window! :D

3) SRT spent a small fortune testing the ACR package in the wind tunnel and on tracks. Here is a picture from 2006, some two years before the production ACR was released:

windy2.jpg

And "virtual" wind tunnels were also extensively used:

spaghet2a.jpg

The ACR benefited from a ton of R&D from the manufacturer of the platform itself. I suspect one of the best people to ask about the design and the thoughts behind it would be Herb Helbig. You can post the question in our Grail Trail Forum and talk with the Grailkeeper himself! :2tu:

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember from VOI that SRT said 1200 lbs, I figgured that some of that measured downforce is the front splitter and chin spoilers.

Either way, I am more suprised than anything that the trunk lid can handle that much weight. I guess that wing could make a good seat while at shows!:D

Robert

wmw1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I order the front spoiler and rear wing,as seen in this post?
Thanks

Hard Knox

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Park Bench aka ACR Rear Wing

For racing, I understand the need, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone with a street only car would break up the beautiful visual lines with one of those 4 door rice burner rejected NYC park benches. I know to each his own and since I am nearly 50 I "just don't understand", but this is no different than in my generation the kid putting Crager SS mags on a 4 chevy or ford road yatch! Everyone knew somebody that did it and how absurd it looked. Don't let snakes do wings!

FWIW

Robby Knox
Rincon, GA

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Hard Knox, I loved those damn Crager SS mags! I had them on my 71 Challanger back in the early 80's!

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Park Bench aka ACR Rear Wing

For racing, I understand the need, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone with a street only car would break up the beautiful visual lines with one of those 4 door rice burner rejected NYC park benches. I know to each his own and since I am nearly 50 I "just don't understand", but this is no different than in my generation the kid putting Crager SS mags on a 4 chevy or ford road yatch! Everyone knew somebody that did it and how absurd it looked. Don't let snakes do wings!

FWIW

Robby Knox
Rincon, GA

Hey don't Knox what you haven't drove. ACR on the track and on the street (in corners) kills my regular 08.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Park Bench aka ACR Rear Wing

For racing, I understand the need, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone with a street only car would break up the beautiful visual lines with one of those 4 door rice burner rejected NYC park benches.

I pretty much agree with you although I don't think the ACR aero is hurting the looks in any way. Nonetheless, a lot of ACRs will see track time even if it's just a few times a year. Those are who the car is made for (thank you Dodge). There is still the "street only" Viper version, which a lot of those will see track time too. :2tu:

:rolaugh: at the Crager comment. I'm 48 and I know exactly what you're talking about.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before the ACR, I had the same opinion about wings - but on this car it just plain looks good as well as works well. In my opinion it's well integrated with the rest of the design and enhances it...

Hard Knox

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Park bench aka ACR Rear Wing

Just want to make sure with everyone that this is just one of my opinions/pet peeves. Fart Boxes(Stupid Chrome Mufflers on 4 ****** Rice Burner wanna bees-Although I have no problem with kids blowing imports at the strip or the drifting track), Mods on a 4 door(Dodge should be shot for badging a 4 door family car as a Charger/Hemi/Super Bee-Sacreligous) and park benches! I knew two guys, idiots when it came to mods. One took a 4 door 69 Chevy Impala and put Crager SS mags on it, put a 73 Camaro spoiler on the back and a hood scoop on the front to get more air into the 6 ******. It sounds like a POS and it was. The other guy did the same thing to a 4 door Ford Pinto wagon with the same results.

I by no means want to be judge, it just that every time I see a fart box, 4 Door ***** or a park bench, I have PTS back to 1975 seeing Herbie drive by in his Impala or seeing Foley fart by in his Pinto station wagon.

Hope nobody took it bad and hope you understand.

Again FWIW

Thanks,

Robby Knox
Rincon, GA

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a friend that had a Pinto when I was about 16. lmao

He jacked a lamborghini emblem off of a countach then cut the ghini part of it and glued it to his Pinto. It read Pintoghini :rolaugh:

He would roll at the school parking lot and say to the hot cheerleaders EH BAAYBEE wanna ride in my PINTOGHNI....

That was about 25 years ago and I still laugh thinking about it.

Hard Knox

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Hard Knox, I loved those damn Crager SS mags! I had them on my 71 Challanger back in the early 80's!

Man, I bet the looked awesome. What a great looking ride in 71. If you said a Coronet, we might have to put you down! Getting old sux. 4K cars from the seventies are going for 100K. If I were to put 100K in to my seventies body(fat, old and ugly), it would still be worth 4K. My vette, viper, porsche and projects are not outward signs of a mid life crisis, do the math, a 80K car of today should be worth millions by the time I croak. We are not overaged kids we are making intelligent investments.

What do you think?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I by no means want to be judge, it just that every time I see a fart box, 4 Door ***** or a park bench, I have PTS back to 1975 seeing Herbie drive by in his Impala or seeing Foley fart by in his Pinto station wagon.

We are from the same generation. Four doors were not acceptable. I don't recall many park benches back then except the one Dodge had on their SuperBee. But if it's functional it's exceptable.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a friend that had a Pinto when I was about 16. lmao

He jacked a lamborghini emblem off of a countach then cut the ghini part of it and glued it to his Pinto. It read Pintoghini :rolaugh:

He would roll at the school parking lot and say to the hot cheerleaders EH BAAYBEE wanna ride in my PINTOGHNI....

That was about 25 years ago and I still laugh thinking about it.

In the late '70's my brother had a Dodge van. It was customized with shag carpet, side pipes, a bed, a bar and a **** woman painted on the side. Under the 'babe' was the name of the van in airbrushed 18" letters - VANGINA. It had a wing too. ROCK ON!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I loved those Crager SS mags too, and I kinda liked the looks of them on a huge Chevy land yacht. I had Keystone Klassics (remember them?) on a '72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring. It was a two-door, not a four-door.

Oh, yeah, it had the air shocks in the back, with fat tires. That's what we did back then.

Bob

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved those Crager SS mags too, and I kinda liked the looks of them on a huge Chevy land yacht. I had Keystone Klassics (remember them?) on a '72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring. It was a two-door, not a four-door.

Oh, yeah, it had the air shocks in the back, with fat tires. That's what we did back then.

Bob

Keystone Klassics and air shocks. LOL. Bringing back memories.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We are from the same generation. Four doors were not acceptable. I don't recall many park benches back then except the one Dodge had on their SuperBee. But if it's functional it's exceptable.

Like this.....

[media]http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/dodge/dodge_charger_daytona_1969_01_m.jpg[/media]

Robert

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though there is a lot of down force at speeds, keep in mind that the force is evenly spread across the wing (like a heavy water bed but with distributed weight across the room), the vector is nearly straight down against the hatch and divided by 2 strong supports. May the force be with you!!:confused: