New guy lookin at Vipers, gen I vs gen II questions

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi I am a new guy and I am looking at a gen 1 modded out with roe s/c, bellenger exhaust and hardtop and a 96 GTS that is stock. I always spend alot in mods so I like the idea of the pre-modded first gen, but everyone I have been talking to is pushing the gen 2. I like the styling of both, maybe gts a little better but the side pipes on the gen 1 are hard to beat. I have read all the differences in the two on the websites, but I am wondering is the A/C the same on both or better in the GTS? Any gen 1 guys regret not getting a gen 2? Unfortunately I have not been able to drive either one and I can't find any for sale locally right now. So I will probably not being able to easily compare the two before I get one.

THANKS. Matt

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a civilised drive with windows, get a GEN 2.

I bought mine 7 years ago and I have never had an urge to go GEN 2 or 3. I have modded mine with Roe and Autoform parts. Not too bad for an old GEN 1. And yes, it steals 1st place trophies in front of GEN 2's....:D and tracks in front of most Ferrari's....:D:D

Same A/C, but in a closed cabin, it GTS A/C works better.

Where are you? I'll let you drive mine, if you want.:2tu:

random_050607_001.jpg

3114viper_14.jpg

viper_64.jpg

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, where are you? Ask the local VCA Chapter pres if he can help out with rides for ya.

Gen 2 is the only choice for me as I'm married and use my GTS to travel ... A lot. No cargo/trunk space in the R/Ts. I also like my car LOCKED. I hate water leaks and rain. Hate wind noise. I've put 22,000mi. on my GTS this last year.

I couldn't buy a stock Viper (even a new 08) as they're way too slow.

I chose the Gen2 GTS over all Vipers and I'm glad I did. When I wear this one out I'll probably buy another GTS, although I admit that a modified coupe may be interesting.

Ted

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry guys I didn't fill out my location, I am in Denver,Co. I am lookin for a civilized, or lux car just something fast and fun. My family does live in MN though so I would like to be able to do a 1200mi road trip once or twice to go show it off. I grew up driving old gtx's and jeeps so I didn't get spoiled with alot of ammenities! Didn't see very much activity in the Colorado forum, are there any viper guys from Denver here??

Redenuf- Wow that car looks awesome. Can you put a gen II hood scoop on or it looks like you swapped the whole hood out? Also what kind of wheels are those? That is one of, if not the nicest vipers I have seen!

RTTTED- Thanks, that is the one thing that keeps my thinking about the GTS, I would like to do some road trips to MN and NV from colorado with it and I think the GTS is probably better because it have more space and door locks.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Matt,
Welcome! There are LOTS of CO VCA people, and quite a few of them are here on the boards. One of them will speak-up I'm sure.
I'm not an owner myself or I would be more then happy to drive down and give you a ride. If there is anything I can do to help with your search, let me know!

Josh in Greeley

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got back from Detroit (6,600mi.) with wife and luggage. Free gifts included 2 folding Viper chairs, posters, 2 suitcases, and a few other things. Add to that 2 weeks luggage for 2 people and the GTS was mighty full. I even brought Viper stuff, spare tire and a bunch of tools with me. It rained a few days and was cold a few days of our trip. We travelled in a group of 5 or 6 and the trailer guys went their own ways meeting up with us during evenings.

I prefer to park all of my cars right outside the window, although most restaurants we stopped at during out trip we were parked behind or at the other side of the parking lots. No one bothered our cars, but oldest car was a 97 GTS - no Gen1s.

I wouldn't recommend a Gen1 for travelling. I think that's designed more as a roadster and just for taking out of the garage, racing, getting bread, summer beaches and putting back into the garage. There was 3 GTSs and 2 Gen 3s with us.

It's easier to find parts for the Gen2s as there was many more built. You know about the Headgaskets?

Ted

V

Venomiss

Hi I am a new guy and I am looking at a gen 1 modded out with roe s/c, bellenger exhaust and hardtop and a 96 GTS that is stock. I always spend alot in mods so I like the idea of the pre-modded first gen, but everyone I have been talking to is pushing the gen 2. I like the styling of both, maybe gts a little better but the side pipes on the gen 1 are hard to beat. I have read all the differences in the two on the websites, but I am wondering is the A/C the same on both or better in the GTS? Any gen 1 guys regret not getting a gen 2? Unfortunately I have not been able to drive either one and I can't find any for sale locally right now. So I will probably not being able to easily compare the two before I get one.

THANKS. Matt

Hey Matt-in case you missed seeing this for the Colorado Viper Club:

Colorado Viper Club

Phone or e-mail some of the members and they can give you some advice. They might be able to lead you to local Vipers for sale in your area. Good luck in your search!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 for travelling?

Nah, unless your into ***.

It's OK for 300-400 mile trips, if you like noisy, windy car and head in the sun all day (I do.) To do any decent travelling, move immediately to GTS.... Yes, they leak too.

I dont drive mine in rain, so that is not really my problem if they leak or not. GEN 1 has a small trunk, but if you play on the safe side, thats where the soft top goes, after that you can fit a shopping bag in there.

My hood is a Diamondback hood from Roger at US Exotics. And you CAN put scoops and vents on a GEN 1 hood.

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 1 for travelling?

Nah, unless your into ***.

It's OK for 300-400 mile trips, if you like noisy, windy car and head in the sun all day (I do.) To do any decent travelling, move immediately to GTS.... Yes, they leak too.

I dont drive mine in rain, so that is not really my problem if they leak or not. GEN 1 has a small trunk, but if you play on the safe side, thats where the soft top goes, after that you can fit a shopping bag in there.

My hood is a Diamondback hood from Roger at US Exotics. And you CAN put scoops and vents on a GEN 1 hood.

I have driven to the mopar nats and to chrysler at carlise in a 67' gtx and 66 fury III convert from Minnesota. Can a road trip with a viper be much different?! :) I guess I don't care too much on if it get the gen one or GTS, I think I am just going to get whatever one is in better condition.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i would not get a gen1 if your doing long road trips. just daytrips are good. gen1's are far from water tight. but if your looking to mod the hell out of one then the gen1 is the best.

OP
OP
M

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright guys, I put an offer in on a 96 GTS looks all stock. He is thinking about it, it is a nice blue one with only 18k on it, still needs a little TLC to be back in perfect condition though. IF that one falls through I am going to buy a 94' yellow/black roadster. It has 25k on it, and alot of great mods (roe s/c, new interior, bellanger exhaust,wet nos kit, big stereo, vipermania hard top, and a few other things) It also needs some TLC the dash is fuzzed up, aftermarket gauges for boost and a/f were installed and look bad, needs tires, wheels are stock chromed out(yuk) and would have to be changed, headgaskets are still stock, and there is a paint chip by the headlight and on the top that need to be repaired. All pretty minor things but they add up.