5th GEAR noise in my transmission.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Spent a wonderful Saturday with many of my friends in the Illinois club on our fall cruise. I put about 200 miles on the car that day.

Due to the speeds we were driving I spent a fair amount of time in 5th gear. I noticed as the day wore on, I noticed a different sound coming from the transmission in 5th gear only. I dont remember hearing this sound previously but I really havent spent much time in 5th either. It wasn't a whine, but more of a "pre" growl. the noise if left alone would develop into a growl. I can begin to hear it at about 2k rpm's in fifth, and becomes less noticeable when the revs get way up.

I hear this noise only in 5th, no other gears. I have plenty of warrany left so I am not worried about the expense if it requires a swap. Anyone else have similar experiences? My car has 6500 miles on it and is an '04.

thanks

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine also has a distinctively different sound in 5th gear than the rest....not worried, if it falls out it will be obvious what needs replaced:smirk:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve911, did anything ever come of the noise you have in 5th, I went on a long ride yesterday spending a good deal of time in 5th gear, and it brought to mind this thread from last year....exact xame symptoms as before, apparently mine hasn't changed at all.....low RPM (1800-2500) noise I don't know what to call it howl, chatter, higher RPMs hardly any noise...
Just wondered if you still have the same noise or if you figured it out:dunno:

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I havent. My dodge dealers in my are going away thanks to the bankruptcy judge, and I just got mine out for the season and will be addressing the problem here soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets