Windshield wipers not in sync

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, we took the Viper out for a short trip to a nice out of the way restaurant in the Crystal River area of Florida (Peck's Old Port Cove Restaurant on Ozello Trail in Crystal River FL), and on the way, it drizzled a bit. We even had the top down during the light rain, and I turned the wipers on just to clear the drops off the windshield. Well, the driver's side wiper started up ok, but the passenger side wiper was not in sync with it, and they jammed together, locked up and bent the blade on the passenger side. I had to get out of the car and unjam them manually, or they would have stayed locked up together right in the middle of the windshield. Has anyone else had this happen, and how is it fixed? Not that I drive the car in the rain, because I don't, (this is only the second or third time in its soon to be 10 year life with us that the wipers have been on to clear off the windshield), but I would like to know what happened and how or if I can fix it just in case I need them at some future date.
Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Roland L Ocala, FL

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wiper motors have position sensors that tell a black box where each blade is. A typical failure is as you describe - but it is the motor that behaves correctly that is usually the problem. It doesn't care where the other arm is, while the good motor acts erratically trying to dodge the bad one.

To start, replace the passenger motor. Hopefully you have a Viper neighbor that might even swap their good one to make sure that is the issue. If still not good, by then you might have an idea whether to replace the passenger motor and/or the black box (which is located under a false floor in the passenger foot well.

Until then, maybe take the passenger arm off so you can travel in the wet.

My story...
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...ion-advice-regarding-intermittent-wipers.html
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...mportant-advice-failed-windshield-wipers.html

OP
OP
R

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. From what you said, I think it is the passenger wiper motor. However, I will just take off the passenger side wiper for now, as the car just does not go out in the rain.
Roland L - Ocala

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This also happened to my 96 GTS recently. Are you saying it's possible that the dealer will replace them for free? I heard the motors are INCREDIBLY expensive and I have to pass my local inspection to get my car tagged again.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This also happened to my 96 GTS recently. Are you saying it's possible that the dealer will replace them for free? I heard the motors are INCREDIBLY expensive and I have to pass my local inspection to get my car tagged again.

My guess is they will replace them only if the car is under warranty, otherwise they will replace them and give you a nice bill.

I didn't realize the Viper had a high tech windshield wiper system. :headbang:
I had a similar problem occur on my '01 Avalon. Turns out the nut holding down the driver's side wiper arm had become slightly loose allowing the wiper to be out of sync. The result was stuck wipers in the middle of my windshield. With the wipers in the off position, I loosened the nut, pushed the driver's side wiper arm down to where it should be, and then tightened the nut. Problem fixed.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This happened on my 96. The dealer replace both motors.

That's becasue your dealer did not have the benefit of Tom's sage advice.
Your dealer took the un-informed SHOTGUN approach!

On Gen 1-2, the wiper that is "ACTING STUPID" is 95% likley to be the GOOD MOTOR.

The motor that STAYS NORMAL is 95% likley to be the BAD MOTOR, somply being 'corrected' by the under-Rt-foot controller (which almost NEVER goes bad)

PS. PartsRack has wiper motors from organ donors....your replacement need not be expensive.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I 've got a simpler problem (i hope...!): is there a knack to getting the wipers detached from the projecting threads?!! Manual says rocking motion should do it, but it seems as if both mine are locked onto the threads! Have tried all the different rocking motions 3 dimensions will allow but no budge as yet. Don't want to go mad and wreck/ dismount the motors...! Any thoughts please? ;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No trick. The arms are on tapered splined shafts, so a straight pull upward "should" remove them. Perhaps some anti-rust lubricant or WD-40 and wait a day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper