Those half grapefruit sized lane divider bumps can do some damage...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we the only ones that have those big honking half sphere grapefruit sized clods dividing
traffic lanes here in Fort Worth? That were probably fashionable when the wagon and
mule maxed at about 6 mph in the city?

Saturday's tasks...

Inform Discount Tire I'm cashing in on my I can hit anything ******* warranty. DONE!

Sunday's tasks...

Put car in air to start control arm crack check during short down time (was just waiting on a
good time, no relationship to road bumps). DONE!

Monday's tasks...

Order new wheels and tires and SRT brakes from Dan at Viper Specialty Performance.
Shopping relieves stress right? DONE!

Anyway, Discount Tire will be giving me a brand new PS2. and I would prefer to replace the
front temporarily with a Pilot Sport or maybe another approved pair of fronts. Anybody have
some tires they want to wheel and deal on? My inventory for the bargaining table will be
a 275/35/18 PS2 new with sticker.

FRONT

You must be registered for see images

REAR

You must be registered for see images

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious ouch-ish-ness....lucky that sucker didn't blow out on you. And the wheel at least will be easily fixable.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geesh...those look horrible. Can we look forward to a "How To Repair Clod Rash" from you soon? Good thing you didn't blow a tire, or two or three...we don't have those dividers here in CT but we do have dead animal carcasses diving the lanes: possums, racoons, deer, skunk, Vettes, etc.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geesh...those look horrible. Can we look forward to a "How To Repair Clod Rash" from you soon? Good thing you didn't blow a tire, or two or three...we don't have those dividers here in CT but we do have dead animal carcasses diving the lanes: possums, racoons, deer, skunk, Vettes, etc.

You ever get a skunk antler puncture? I hate it when that happens. :rolaugh:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that Wheels America over in South Dallas does a super job with wheel repair. I race with Bob Stretch the owner. 24hr turn around.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sue the city/town it happened in. make them pay for it thru small claims court(cheaper for you to do). Maybe you can force them to remove them if they continue to cause damage to other cars. Might want to throw up fliers asking if anyone else has had issues with hitting these stupid "drive by braille" bumps :mad:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that Wheels America over in South Dallas does a super job with wheel repair. I race with Bob Stretch the owner. 24hr turn around.

Forget Wheels America.

My wheels were sent to them 3 times last year for chroming and they came back polished (with fine scratches) all 3 times. They blamed the delivery driver for the "mix-up" and refused to chrome my wheels as promised, and didn't stand behind the crappy polishing job they did either. My wheels went to their San Antonio location but their customer service ***** across the board; A.R.T. escalated it all the way to their top brass and they told me I was S.O.L. The finish is coming off 3 of my 4 wheels and there are fine scratches and inconsistencies in the finish everywhere.

Do NOT go to Wheels America.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you by any chance post some pictures of what you hit? I've never seen a wheel bend like that from hitting a bump in the road... that *****!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, Dave...and here you were always PROMOTING Texas to us...no thanx, we'll now stay here!!!!! :omg:
(BUMMER though on the tire...eeeeesh....)
ViperTony: Yeah, we have those rascals up here as well: raccoons, skunks, deer, woodchucks, VETTES...VETTES....and more VETTES...those wascally weasels!~! :rolaugh: ~jules

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We now have them in Victoria. The city just installed them on a street righ outside my neighborhood. not being used to them yet, a lady down the street from me hit them in her Dodge Sebring and bent the rim up pretty bad.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, I'm glad I don't drive my car on the street much. It's dangerous and causes damage. I'm thinking tracks are much safer.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice wheel boobie.. Definitely take it up with the city, they can be held responsible.

Don't forget to add in the cost of an alignment.

Can't wait to see what these things are. Sounds like something out winter plows would take care of.

BTW, I think your comprehensive policy will cover this as well, including the alignment. mine did. No increase in cost either.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what these things are. Sounds like something out winter plows would take care of.
BTW, I think your comprehensive policy will cover this as well, including the alignment. mine did. No increase in cost either.

Well, remember, Dave is in TEXAS where they don't HAVE snow-plows, they don't know what they are, and if they EVER GOT SNOW...their cities would shut down!!! :omg:
(I'm with YOU, our snow plows would take these buggers right out!) ~juli

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,,, I think I'd be talking to the Highway dept. about the damage... Same as with *** holes. I've got damaged fixed before but had to take a picture of the place it happened. The State has an Insurance for it.. Same as when the snow plow went by my Tahoe opposite direction throwing rocks cost them a windshield and hood paint job. I know here they cover holes in the road and the damage caused but seldom people turn it in.:headbang:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe the alignment is OK, although I will likely get it checked after the new tires and wheels come in in December. The direction of impact from these lane bumps does make the wheel travel up - the way it's supposed to go. Just not that abrubptly... It didn't throw the steering wheel or the car sideways or anything. Just thumpity thump thump oh sheep!

And probably won't pursue any claims or litigation. Discount tire buys the new tire for me, and I'll just remove it and sell it as a brand new PS2. Pays for the alignment and the wheel fix.

The $12K for the new wheels tires and brakes has been burning a hole in my pocket for some time. The excuse to spend it is now illustrated above. So I would rather look forward on this than hassle over a few hundred bucks.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All speed bumps/humps should be outlawed.

Why do we bother to pay people like Dean to lay down nice smooth asphalt for us and then we clutter it all up with these ridiculous "traffic calming" devices. We might as well save tax dollars and leave the *** holes in the roads.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is pic taken from my phone of the type the city is installing here in Victoria. Sorry image isn't that great. They are steel and about 3-4 inches tall.

Attachments

• speed bumps.jpg
    speed bumps.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 131

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this just a 'southern' thing??? There'd be NO POSSIBLE way those things could be in OUR roads, due to previous posts about the snowplows! Guess we're GLAD! HAH....and you LORD over US DAVE....pffffffffffft to YOU~! ~jules

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the alignment is OK, although I will likely get it checked after the new tires and wheels come in in December. The direction of impact from these lane bumps does make the wheel travel up - the way it's supposed to go. Just not that abrubptly... It didn't throw the steering wheel or the car sideways or anything. Just thumpity thump thump oh sheep!

And probably won't pursue any claims or litigation. Discount tire buys the new tire for me, and I'll just remove it and sell it as a brand new PS2. Pays for the alignment and the wheel fix.

The $12K for the new wheels tires and brakes has been burning a hole in my pocket for some time. The excuse to spend it is now illustrated above. So I would rather look forward on this than hassle over a few hundred bucks.

Dave - have you considered powder coating those new wheels when you get them red and white to match the rest of your car :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala