Roe PS Pulley and Bracket installed

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the install thread as promised here.......

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/619497-power-steering-pump-bracket-broke.html

Even though Roe Racing is moving this week, they shipped out my pulley and bracket immediately. Mucho Gracias Sean and Amy at Roe. :headbang:
The install was very easy. I picked up a PS pulley remover/install kit at Autozone. I was expecting it to cost a few bucks to rent. But my local store just asks you to purchase the puller for $48 and then you can either keep it or bring it back for a full refund (which means the rental is free).

The old pulley and bracket came off with no issues (I sprayed the pulley with WD-40 a couple of days ago after the bracket broke). I left the PS Pump attached and in place.

The new stuff went on easy as pie. Hardest part of the whole 1.5 hour job was getting the S/C belt back on.:2tu:

Quality of the bracket and pulley are superb. Worth every penny. I highly recommend Roe's kit.

Here are a few pics.

PSpulley_001.JPG

New pulley and bracket.

PSpulley_002.JPG

Removing the old pulley.

PSpulley_004.JPG

Here's what the old pulley (with puller still attached) looks like after it comes off the pump.

PSpulley_005.JPG

Old and new pulley comparison. The old is obviously plastic and junk. The replacement is solid metal.

PSpulley_006.JPG

Pressing the new pulley back on.

PSpulley_008.JPG

And here's the new bracket installed. It came with 3 spacers.

PSpulley_012.JPG

Here's a pic of the broken bracket next to the new one.

PSpulley_011.JPG

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You made it sound so easy, that maybe even I could do it. :D

Were the instructions fairly simple to follow? Torque settings included? Thanks!

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You made it sound so easy, that maybe even I could do it. :D

Were the instructions fairly simple to follow? Torque settings included? Thanks!

Clear & concise instructions and torque settings are included. Very easy install.:2tu:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks too easy. You are very lucky. I've seen other people have a really hard time of it when the pulley cracked and was a nightmare to remove.

Can you post the instructions? I have the pulley but don't have the instructions.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the nice, confidence inspiring write up

looks like you put this upgrade on alot of people's list

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll see if Roe minds me posting up the instructions (not sure if that's an issue or not?).

As I said, I can't believe how simple and easy this install is. The key is to use the correct type of puller on the pulley. I sprayed it with WD-40 the day after the bracket failed so it sat for a couple of days before I removed it.

Just be sure and use a PS Pump pulley puller from Autozone. I had to crank ******* it one time to get it started (with a breaker bar) but as soon as it broke loose it came right off.

I probably didn't spend more than 1 1/2 hours on this project total.:headbang:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That damn Chad said someone told him it was a nightmare to install! :mad:

NO ******* VISITS FOR CHAD FOR ONE WEEK!!! :rolaugh:

1. I was only the messenger
2. I believe the guy was speaking of not having to deal with spacers if you had Dave's kit
3. It was a TN VCA guy who told me this, so the problem lies within your own club. Us GA VCA folks never cause any problems :D
4. I was at ******* yesterday and may go back today :D

You going to Chattanooga next week? If so I have a police buddy I'll be calling ahead of time to watch you :D

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was no easy job on ours, but a worthwhile upgrade. Damn Yankee has very well illustrated guide on this in the How To section. His was done at the Wizard's facility.

Funny how different things go better or worse for everyone. Putting the SC belt back on was a matter of minutes for us. The pulley and bracket took 2-3 hours.

http://forums.viperclub.org/illustr...-pulley-bracket-replacement-guide-photos.html

Steve

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there are 2 keys to having an easy time over a hard time.

1. Spray down the area where the pulley is pressed onto the pump with some type of penetrating agent such as WD-40 or penetrating oil. Let it sit for a day or two before you start the job.

2. Use the proper puller to remove the pulley. If you use the right puller is is real hard to mess it up. If you use a claw type puller on this pulley you are setting yourself up for failure.;)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to use a penetrating fluid to assist with the removal of a pressed on hub, why not go the extra mile and use a real penetrating fluid? WD40 is great stuff, but "penetrating" squeaky hinges is like nailing an open doorway with a tennis ball from 8 inches away. Not very tough. To creep down into an area where gaps are much tighter, like on pressed on items, get some Liquid Wrench or Kroil for your toolbox.

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are going to use a penetrating fluid to assist with the removal of a pressed on hub, why not go the extra mile and use a real penetrating fluid? WD40 is great stuff, but "penetrating" squeaky hinges is like nailing an open doorway with a tennis ball from 8 inches away. Not very tough. To creep down into an area where gaps are much tighter, like on pressed on items, get some Liquid Wrench or Kroil for your toolbox.

Hey, it worked didn't it? :dunno:Notice mine came off with no issues.;) :D

Point taken though. And I do have penetrating oil. I just grabbed the WD-40 and went with it, just cause that's how I roll, dawg. :lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used WD40 too and it worked well. Next time I will have to try the tennis ball trick though. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss