New Owner With Care Question

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum (great forum, btw) and to Vipers. I just picked up an 08 Vert from a fellow board member and love it so far. I've been reading thru this forum for nearly three years now, waiting and saving for a Viper. Well, the right deal came along, the wife approved and I've got one sweet car in the garage. I'm VERY particular about my cars and have always gone to one particular car wash for all my washing and waxing needs. This car, however, will only be touched by my hands and I was wondering what the absolute best car care products are. I've read that Zaino products are fantastic, but thought I'd ask here first prior to use. Also, how often do you all wash, wax, etc... Oh, the car is blue with white strips. Do I need to be careful with the strips? Any thoughts you care to share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meguires stuff is great as well. I use them on my black car which I have to wash and wax more often because of the color alone. It all depends on how picky you are about your car being clean.

The best tip I have: If you wash it, wax it. No excuses.

:usa:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree I use Meguires as well and I only wash it if I am going to wax other wise I just dust and cover.

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll look into the Meguires products as well. My number one concern for the paint is swirl marks. Will hand waxing protect against this, or will a clay bar be needed? Do you wax the stripes, or just stay clear of them?

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can wax the stripes and the clay bar will take out swirl marks if you have them but you dont need to use it. And using a machine on an 08 is stupid hard. too many grooves and ridges. I feel you cant get a good enough coverage except by hand. I use the pro series.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use some great professional products from FAST out of Florida (Fastautocare.com Premium Polishes for your car). My buddy who is responsible for all of Jack Roush's personal cars told me about this stuff and it's great! I use the wash about once a month and the wax about once every 3 months (use spray detailer for everything else). Very good stuff...even took "1st Place Viper" in a recent event (as judged by vette guys).

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Meguiar's product, any recommendation on which items to purchase?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Meguiar's product, any recommendation on which items to purchase?

I only use Meguires, and have never been disapointed with any of their products. You get what you pay for!

Use their waxes, tire shine, car wash concentrate, anything that is listed on their site that you need!:D

Robert

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as swirl marks go I think it's all about the towels. Most swirl marks are created by you. I use high end microfiber towels which are good as long as you take care not to drop them. Also check them often to make sure there clean while your working. I have been fighting these for a while now and I think I'm finally getting the upper hand. Is the car swirled now?

Steve737

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention, I use Zaino which I like however It is alot of work. Spent 8 Hrs. claying and waxing on Sat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use Meguires, and have never been disapointed with any of their products. You get what you pay for!

Use their waxes, tire shine, car wash concentrate, anything that is listed on their site that you need!:D

Robert

Thanks Robert. They seem to have a few types of wax. Just not too sure which is "best".

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the FASTweb site and their stuff looks like and is described exactly the same as the stuff from adamspolishes.com........which I use most of the time along with Meguires, and some PS21 wax. I bet it's the same thing.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a hobby of mine trying different car care products and I have tried just about every one out there from Adams to Zymol. I have even used the Zymol Vintage and have to say that I always end up back with the Zaino.

Zaino is by far the best product I have used to date. It has unbelievable looks and incredable durability and is very easy to use and is even modestly priced when compared to most.

There is also a lot of myths and misconceptions about Zaino, mostly spread by the haters for some odd reason. Don't believe everything you hear about it. It is no more work than any other car care product out there. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

If you have a light car I recommend the Z2p and if your car is darker in color go with the Z5p. I also like their Z8 a lot. I use the Z8 after I wash it and it extend the sealants life even longer than when just used alone. If you maintain with Z8 you almost don't need to ever use the polish again. I tend to do it much more often than needed as it is a form of therapy for me (atleast on the Viper) but the good thing is it is layerable so it gets better with every coat up to a certian extent of course.

Give it a try, you won't be sorry. :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention, I use Zaino which I like however It is alot of work. Spent 8 Hrs. claying and waxing on Sat.

You cannot confuse the proper prep work like Claying to be "Zaino being a lot of work". What most people don't know is claying should be done no matter what product you are using. Zaino is just one of the few car care companies that preaches proper prepping methods. These methods really should be done before using ANY product. This is how the Zaino is more work rumors get started.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should ahve probably mentioned that you want to look at your wash and dry method as well as what type of towels you are using as this makes as big of a difference as what product you use. There is plenty of reading on these topics on both Zaino's web site as well as some of the car care forums. Here are a few links for you.

http://forums.viperclub.org/2604237-post48.html

DetailersClub.com

Zaino Store

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you soooo very much for all the replys! The car is nearly new and is in perfect condition, so there are no swirl marks yet. I'm just paranoid about creating them since I've never really spent much time on maintaining the finish of my cars with my own work. This really has been my dream car since high school, and I want to make sure I do everything properly. I'm going to finish reviewing the Maguiar's site and then read thru Zaino's site.

From reading thru the responses, it appears a high quality micro fiber towel is essential, so I'll start with that. Thanks again all. It's obvious this community is a tight group. Hope I can contribute a little and would love to meet any AZ members.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've read that Zaino products are fantastic, but thought I'd ask here first prior to use. Also, how often do you all wash, wax, etc... Oh, the car is blue with white strips. Do I need to be careful with the strips? Any thoughts you care to share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

No extra care needed on Stripes, but thye have a distinct edge. I have 3 x Blu/White stripers, and I have my detail guy use: ZAINO. Whan I did it myself I used: ZAINO

At one point I had 20+ buttles of STUFF that I donated to the local hi-schoool auto shop.

Try the WAX DYNO...... ( reflect a yardstick....but you need a longer stick w Zaino!)

OP
OP
A

AZViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No extra care needed on Stripes, but thye have a distinct edge. I have 3 x Blu/White stripers, and I have my detail guy use: ZAINO. Whan I did it myself I used: ZAINO

At one point I had 20+ buttles of STUFF that I donated to the local hi-schoool auto shop.

Try the WAX DYNO...... ( reflect a yardstick....but you need a longer stick w Zaino!)

Thanks Jon,

As it pertains to the washing mit and drying towels, is there a manufacturer that makes the softest, most gentle versions out there? I forgot to check and see if Zaino or Meguiars website sells mits/towels, but will do so.

On another related topic, what about interior protectant/cleaner. Either companies products desirable?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the brand that was used at the Motor City car wash at VOI. Those green ones were the best I had ever used! Whatever they are, highly recommended!

Now if my memory was a little better and I could remember the name....;)

Robert

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235