What year is the best one to own?

watevrpal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i am going to get alot of responses about this. I am looking to buy a viper in a year so I am just curious about all the different opinions.

What would be the best overall year to own for both driving experience and speed. and just plain overall haul ass mode and of course price. Thanks

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If Gen-2, then I say 1999. This year came with the larger wheels but is not affected by the EPA mandated engine de-tuning that came in 2000. Not much collectibility for 1999 either so it's a good year to buy as a driver.

No ABS for 1999 however.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what year you get, as soon as you get a Viper, you'll think it is the best thing you've ever owned.:drive:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is like asking a diverse pool of football fans which is the best team.

There is no correct answer.

Do some research, and then make your decision on what works for you. But don't ask what is best, because all you'll hear is people telling you what they drive.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best answer, get this book!:D It will answer all of your questions, answer questions you do not have yet, will explain all of the differances between the years (I believe it only goes up to 2004/5 though:(), covers all of the options and changes, potential problems and color availability in each year. It will be the best $25.00 you can possibly spend. Best part is, the book is available from any bookstore or online!:2tu:

Viper Buyers Guide

Robert

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
watevrpal;2604146......What would be the best overall year to own for both driving experience and speed. ....and just plain overall haul ass mode ...and of course price. Thanks[/quote said:
It was a very easy answer (2009 ACR) til you added the last condition.

You now have to assign a personal PERCENTAGE to each of the parameters above.
And is 'haul ass mode' the same as 'speed' ? Or is it the same as "driving experience"? Driving experinece can be affected by your age and SIZE and climate? If you are a large person in a crappy climate, pick a 2001-2002 GTS, due to price and cockpit room....

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving experinece can be affected by your age and SIZE and climate? If you are a large person in a crappy climate, pick a 2001-2002 GTS, due to price and cockpit room....

Was wondering where you were going for a minute there Jon. Could not figure out what that had to do with anything!!:D Turns out I just read it wrong!;)

Robert

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best Gen II, especially for modding: 1999. After 99, the Gen II have cast pistons and a milder cam. You can upgrade the brakes for relatively small dollars.

Best Gen III: 2006. Last year of Gen III. Coupe available only in 2006.

Best Gen IV: 2009 ( although except for the fly by wire programming issue that may have been corrected by now, there aren't any significant differences from a performance or visual point of view.) Unless you want a color not offered in 2009.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i am going to get alot of responses about this. I am looking to buy a viper in a year so I am just curious about all the different opinions.

What would be the best overall year to own for both driving experience and speed. and just plain overall haul ass mode and of course price. Thanks

Quick answer - any of them!:D

Robert

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is like asking a diverse pool of football fans which is the best team.
There is no correct answer.
Do some research, and then make your decision on what works for you. But don't ask what is best, because all you'll hear is people telling you what they drive.

As usual, Dave hits it on the *head*...get what works for YOU in your climate (vert? coupe?) GOOD LUCK and enjoy your research! :drive: ~juli

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Using all of your parameters the answer is a modified 2001, 2002 GTS because of teh ABS. Second choice is any year GTS that has been modified.

You want exhaust to fix the hot sidesills and crappy exhaust sound. Headers for extra power.

You want a 14" lightweight front brake kit.

Supercharged engine makes tons of power (Roe increases total power output and Paxtons increases only higher rpm output) and is reliable. Only 5psi is necessary and allows you to add more boost & power in a few years after getting used to the 550-600rwhp (700+ rated hp). Nitrous is also an option.

With enough money the 09 is the baby or just buy it to sit on the other side of the garage.

And lightweight wheels with PS2s on the car already, or you'll have to buy them.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR, Paxton supercharged NOS = 802rwhp - ViperClub Classifieds

I bought this one as an investment because I figure it's the most popular color, it's got the collectbility and extra $12,000 worth of shocks and factory lighweight wheels. Slightly modded to the power of a Gen 4 with a Nitrous System to own the fastest car on the block (99% of the time anyway), upgraded stereo and brakes, etc.

It wouldn't keep up to a Gen4 ACR on the track, but everywhere else ...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1999 seems to get the most votes every time this question comes up. Last year for the forged motor and first year for 18" wheels.

All Vipers are incredible cars through 18 years of production which is something not many other car lines can claim if any. if you keep an eye on this board for a year you'll start to understand the pros an cons. You can also find good info by sesrching or just asking. If you find ar car you like just post a thread with the details and you may even find someone to look at the car for you.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best to own?

I'm going with 1992.

Now if we're talking about best to drive......??????????????????????

ALL OF 'EM

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
If the OP hasn't posted in 2 yrs, I doubt he/she is still in the market for a Viper.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which ever one you like best is the best one to have. You can not go wrong with any Viper.

Bruce

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely right ! I have both lol...i love all Vipers. Thier is no 'bad' Viper. Well,all are pretty badass though :drive:

If the OP hasn't posted in 2 yrs, I doubt he/she is still in the market for a Viper.

Thank you my viper for picking that up.

Folks (musclenutz in particular), if you are looking at posts (likely via the search function) make sure to check the date since you may be accidentally responding to something that's fossilized.

Of course this suggestion excludes RTTTTed, who is allowed to make his sales plea without any limits of time and space.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you my viper for picking that up.

Folks (musclenutz in particular), if you are looking at posts (likely via the search function) make sure to check the date since you may be accidentally responding to something that's fossilized.

Of course this suggestion excludes RTTTTed, who is allowed to make his sales plea without any limits of time and space.

Yeah,i realize that now! Thanks :crazy2:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah,i realize that now! Thanks :crazy2:

It's OK, the original poster hopefully found the Viper he was looking for, but there's still a lot of poeple out there loojking and dreaming about their Viper, ... so this thread is still valid and informative to many enthusiasts.

Ted

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best Viper to own?

The one in your driveway with your name on the title.

It really does not matter what others think, just so long as you like it. They all have their advantages and different personalities.