Do I need to change the air in my tires so my car will run faster

S

SUN RA KAT

Just wondering if going from regular air to nitrogen filled tires will help.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, put Helium in your tires if you want to go faster, the helium will make your car 'lighter', hence it will go faster..............

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you should change the air in your tires on a regular basis. I use helium which reduces the unsprung weight by about 5 pounds per tire.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I normally change the air Every 1500 miles because of it getting old and stinky.

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put expanding foam in mine. It drives like a go cart, and I never get flat spots.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found it to be best to remove all air and stuff your tires with packing penuts.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're going to get a bunch of smart a** answers on this question along with some scarcasm. But let me tell you straight up. Yes, your car will benefit greatly from having N2 in the tire rather than air. In fact, what you really need to do is make sure it's Dry Nitrogen and the normal compressed Nitrogen has a hign moisture content and moisture causes expansion as it heats up. This expansion causes the tire to get bigger and therefore heavier (larger dia of the rotating mass). the weight combined with the subtle change in overall gear ratio makes your car slower. If you suse dry nitrogen then you'll be able to run a smaller tire, but inflate it to the diameter you choose as it won't change as much with the heat build up with driving. That way you can optimize what you intend to do on that drive. for example, if you want to cruse and get great milage then inflate the tires to just below the popping point. that will give you the biggest diameter and much less rolling resistance. it your going to drag race, inflate the rears less for the wrinkle wall effect of slicks. Man I know you'll hook up then. You might want to get some HD halfshafts. Sorry I already sold mine elsewhere. If you're going canyon carving...then leave them just a little over 1/2 full to make sure you get the entire tread block down. Of inflate just one side if you are planning offramp racing. That is one of the things I personnally enjoy as you can't get a ticket on an on/off ramp. Well, at least where I live. Af few other things to consider is to keep your windbreaker zipped up to reduce drag oh and wax the hood and top of the roof (if you have a GTS) to reduce friction. You don't want to wax the back and it spoils the downforce if the air flows over it to smooth. You need a bit of roughness to break the airflow. that's why dodge designed the rears like they did ot get some minor exhaust dust on the back end. These are all absolute facts I've learned from all my track experience so listen to me, I know what I'm talking about.....however, YMMV...good luck.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Thanks, Catwood - that's the kind of answer I was hoping to get. The wise cracks were fun, too. They Quacked me up.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Catwood - that's the kind of answer I was hoping to get. The wise cracks were fun, too. They Quacked me up.

You do realize that his response was full of sarcasm as well? :dunno:

You should also try filling your tires with peanut butter...this way if you get stranded you will have a snack while waiting for new tires to arrive.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this type of question is best answered by your tuner. There's one down in FL that might be able to help you out.:eater:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catwood- that was funny!

Last I checked, you already had almost 80% nitrogen in your tires (in your lungs, too - don't panic!).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth