More model year questions...

youlose

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 96-99 GTS or possibly an 03-04 SRT-10. I know that the motors in the 96-99 are reguarded as the toughest ones, but are there any known weak-links or common failures on the 03 up models? I think I read somewhere they were more prone to rod bearing failure but I don't recall. And yes, I will modify it to some extent, possibly nitrous at some point.

Any info. you can share would be immensely appreciated. I'm glad I found your forum as the guys over at ViperAlley are just.....not cool.

Thanks,

Mark

OP
OP
Y

youlose

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think any book about Vipers is going to list common failures on SRT's. I'm pretty well aware of the physical differences between the models. I want to know if there are common engine/drivetrain failures on the early Gen 3's, or if I should just stick with getting a GTS.

Thanks!

Mark

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't think any book about Vipers is going to list common failures on SRT's. I'm pretty well aware of the physical differences between the models. I want to know if there are common engine/drivetrain failures on the early Gen 3's, or if I should just stick with getting a GTS.

Thanks! Mark

Simple answers. NO COMMON FAILURES. WARRANTEE HISTORY VERY LOW. A TSB/RAB affected 250 or so specific 2003s, early on. THOSE WERE REPAIRED GOOD AS NEW.
The 2003 SRT has a weak crosspin in the diff. IF YOU DRAG RACE on sticky tires you may break it. They were hardened in 04 and forged in 05+

"Cast Pistons Dont Like Nitrous"

THAT'S IT. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE..... ITS JUST A DODGE!!