Streetracing....why?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I said the "S" word. I'm not old (27), but am I that out of touch? Every weekend someone in their Vette or Mustang wants to race. I just dont see bragging rights worth the consequences if you get caught, wreck, etc. A guy in a Z06 I know has already lost their license for 6 months for speeding (not racing...just speeding) and he wants to go streetrace every weekend (got his license back a few months ago). Maybe back in the day it wouldnt have been so bad if you got caught, but with insurance companies having insanely high rates these days, no way in hell can I justify risking a streetracing ticket for "bragging rights". Or you wreck and the claim is denied because you were racing at the time or even worse, you injure/kill someone and end up facing criminal charges for it. Everytime I turn down the opportunity to streetrace I hear the same crap..."you're scared of your car", "you're a wuss", "you know you'd lose", etc. Which yes it does tick me off, but I just can't see risking my VIPER over a stupid streetrace. Am I that offbase? Isn't streetracing the stupidest thing ever? Seems as though nothing good can come of it, only bad.

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding them!They want to have a spirited run on a closed course in Mexico with you so relax!Send them up to me,I'll introduce them to the "Twins"!:lmao::drive::lmao:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, The good old days of streetracing were in the 60's and 70's when cops would actually let drunk drivers go with just a warning. If people make you feel like a loser because you don't race, remember that you don't want to end up like Nick Hogan or worse. Smart people realize that they have too much to lose if they take unnecessary risk.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I said the "S" word. I'm not old (27), but am I that out of touch? Every weekend someone in their Vette or Mustang wants to race. I just dont see bragging rights worth the consequences if you get caught, wreck, etc. A guy in a Z06 I know has already lost their license for 6 months for speeding (not racing...just speeding) and he wants to go streetrace every weekend (got his license back a few months ago). Maybe back in the day it wouldnt have been so bad if you got caught, but with insurance companies having insanely high rates these days, no way in hell can I justify risking a streetracing ticket for "bragging rights". Or you wreck and the claim is denied because you were racing at the time or even worse, you injure/kill someone and end up facing criminal charges for it. Everytime I turn down the opportunity to streetrace I hear the same crap..."you're scared of your car", "you're a wuss", "you know you'd lose", etc. Which yes it does tick me off, but I just can't see risking my VIPER over a stupid streetrace. Am I that offbase? Isn't streetracing the stupidest thing ever? Seems as though nothing good can come of it, only bad.

Well, you are probably more mature than your buddies. So, good for you. There are plenty of tracks to go and pump your chest in...but, the ocassional spirited runs on wide open spaces...well, there is just something cool about that...:D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars were slower in the 60s and 70s, not as much to worry about.

It's hard to know what's fast and what isn't anymore. Anything could beat you

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the crowd your hanging with. Rarely does anyone ever challenge me now, why, because I don't hang with the same crowd I did at 25. No offense but, your previous posts of who and where you hang out tell me I'm right. Without any additional detail, I was once your age.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your a good man Charlie Brown, I mean Chad! Street racing is stupid plain and simple. Takes a bigger man to say that than it does to do that.:2tu:

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Racing on race tracks doesn't produce any more tangible gains. Its really all bragging rights, the question is which venue is better?

In some cases a deserted rural road is a safer, more controlled environment than a drag strip (some of which can be dangerously slick). In some cases the opposite is true. For example, the chances of running over someone else's fluids can be far greater on a busy drag strip.

As long as innocent bystanders aren't injured, I could care less where people race.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand if two guys want to get in a ring and prove their manhood by doing a little kick boxing. I don't understand street racing which is about who can push the gas pedal down faster and longer, or who spent more money to go faster. Street racing is juvenile, no matter how old one is, IMHO.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a nice friendly fast drive not endangering yourself or anyone else. Street racing is an oxymoron. Real racing takes place at race tracks. The rest is BS needlesly endangering innocent lives. GTS Bruce

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little data to show the next idiot that challenges you to a street race:

ILLEGAL RACING STATS
You must be registered for see images
Consider the following stats, compiled from a variety of national and state transportation agencies, and it's easy to see the answer is to take it to the track.
In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, more than 800 citations for illegal street racing were issued in 2001.
In San Diego, where the street racing problem has been termed "epidemic," 16 deaths and 31 injuries were directly related to illegal street racing in 2001. The city's attorney's office prosecuted 147 illegal street racing cases in 1999, 161 in 2000, and 290 in 2001.
In Florida in 2001, 7,216 citations were issued for racing on the highway.
In 1999, the Florida Department of Highway and Safety for Motor Vehicles reported 28 accidents related to illegal street racing, with 2 fatalities and 27 injuries. In 2000, the agency reported 39 racing accidents, with 1 fatality and 55 injuries. In 2002, there were 48 racing accidents, 1 fatality, and 60 injuries.
According to the NHTSA, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 16 and 20.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says 5,749 teens died in the United States from motor vehicle crash injuries in 1999.
Nationwide statistics show that 49 people are injured for every 1,000 who participate in illegal street racing. As a result, city and state ordinances have been issued regarding illegal street racing. Though laws vary, here are some penalties faced by street racers:
You can be arrested and have your car impounded for 30 days.
If convicted of street racing or aiding and abetting a street race, you can be imprisoned for up to three months and fined up to $1,000. Spectators are subject to penalties as well.
Your driver's license can be revoked.
Your car insurance may be cancelled or the rates dramatically increased.
Cars in and around illegal street races are often issued equipment violations.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good for you in not accepting. take them to the track where there are rules and safety measures. YOu are older than your 27 years! very nice

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racing on race tracks doesn't produce any more tangible gains. Its really all bragging rights, the question is which venue is better?

In some cases a deserted rural road is a safer, more controlled environment than a drag strip (some of which can be dangerously slick). In some cases the opposite is true. For example, the chances of running over someone else's fluids can be far greater on a busy drag strip.

As long as innocent bystanders aren't injured, I could care less where people race.

Yea, except in rural roads if you wreck two things will likely happen 1) you can lay there dying until someone comes out 2) once they do come out they know you been racing, so if you don't die you will be up for violation or worse yet if some one gets hurt or killed you'll be up on criminal charges. keep it at the track the worse that can happen is total your car but you can always buy another one with the money you'll save on attorney fees.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EVERY day I get a Honda or a crotchrocket (did I mention all and every Rustangs too) who wants to race...
First day its fun, but after 7 years of owning a Viper it gets old. Nowdays I tell them to come to Pocono and we can sort things out, other than that, I'll be smoking my cigar and they can play with other retards.

And yes, they call me names too, but I really dont give a SH7T. Its not worth it. (unless its at POCONO's, then all bets are off...:2tu:)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask them to meet you at the local track some Sunday. They can't? Tell them that's a wimpy, *****, wussy reply.

That gets the best response. people are like, Woh!! you race that thing on a real race track? fo real? Isnt that Expensive!?

its amazing how many people sell themselves short and dont realize that you can go to an autocross for 30bucks, drag for 20bucks, trackday for 200bucks. they just assume its out of thier reach since they know nothing about organized racing.

its better that way though. more track time for us.

that being said, in the "right" situation(which hasnt happened since ive owned my GTS) i will throw down.:D

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above (I'm 27 too--not everyone who's young is stupid). The way I figure it, I'm the one in a Viper, so I really have nothing to prove. If the guy driving the modded Eclpise wants to prove he has cojones by taking on the snake, he can do it on my terms--autocross, track, whatever, but I'm definitely not going to risk having my car impounded or license suspended...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this wont be popular but i hate racing on a track. (1/4 mile) i think its for old people and ****. i have done it and dont like it. racing on the street is where cars were made to race. its more fun to ME doing highway pulls from 60-160 or from 60 till the other guy lets off. it shows who's willing to push harder and go faster.

street racing is way more fun !

when you can hit 160-175+ and hold that speed or more for a mile or so, THATS fun to ME.

on a 1/4 mile track my car can maybe go 140+ top speed ?.....thats not nearly fast enough for me.

BUT, i wont do this stuff in traffic and really like doing it late at night or early in the am when the roads are clear. not saying i haven't done stupid things before though...

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this wont be popular but i hate racing on a track. (1/4 mile) i think its for old people and ****. i have done it and dont like it. racing on the street is where cars were made to race. its more fun to ME doing highway pulls from 60-160 or from 60 till the other guy lets off. it shows who's willing to push harder and go faster.

when you can hit 160-175+ and hold that speed or more for a mile or so, THATS fun to ME.

on a 1/4 mile track my car can maybe go 140+ top speed ?.....thats not nearly fast enough for me.

BUT, i wont do this stuff in traffic and really like doing it late at night or early in the am when the roads are clear. not saying i haven't done stupid things before though...

Can I get an "AMEM"!!!:2tu::usa::headbang:

Monzsta

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Q: When did the first street race occur?
A: As soon as the second car was built.

I agree with plumnuts. Street racing is more fun, as long as you're safe about it. Street racing as we know it has been tarnished by movies like 2 ******** 2 be Furious, which has everyone with a loud tailpipe thinking they're Vin Diesel.

If you follow the few cardinal rules, it's fine.

1. Don't race in traffic.
2. Don't race in traffic.
3. Don't race in traffic.
4. Anything that happens is on you, so drive like it.

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree 100%. If you do it out in the middle of no where, where the only thing to hit are trees or a cactus for you out west guys I see no problem with it. If you do it in a fast and furious type scene, you are just asking to be thrown jail with the rest of the idiots.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here iare some of the probems with street racing - even in an isolated area.

Another car is beside you. If there is an unexpected mechanical failure in the other car, your car, or both, a collision could result which results in injury or death. Both parties would be guilty of a felony in many, if not most, states. If the other person dies, expect a law suit against you. If the other person is severely injured and you are not, expect a law suit against you. Expect your insurance to be cancelled. Expect that you will now be placed in an assigned risk pool if you are insurable at all. Expect your reality to turn into a pile of s**t.

As someone posted above, there is no track medic on hand if someone gets injured. So, if there is an event that causes an injury, the unlucky party can have the experience of bleeding out while fantacizing about the race that he or she might have won. Not much of a comfort to the person's surviving relatives.

If you are caught street racing, in some states, you will lose the car and your license. You will also then have a record. If you intend to be a licensed professional, the record could create, at a minimum, assuming it is only a misdimeanor, an embarrassing event to explain to the licensing body doing the background character and judgment check. If it resulted in a felony conviction, the licensing consequences could be far more severe.

Spirited driving is something all of us probably do at one time or another but it is best kept to a solo endeavor with no passengers and no other cars nearby or in sight and only after all mechanicals have been checked for proper function. And, of course, done in a lawful manner.

For the posters who engage in street racing, I would suggest that you might be the best drivers in the world but s**t happens. And when it does, your life can be changed forever.

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here iare some of the probems with street racing - even in an isolated area.

Another car is beside you. If there is an unexpected mechanical failure in the other car, your car, or both, a collision could result which results in injury or death. Both parties would be guilty of a felony in many, if not most, states. If the other person dies, expect a law suit against you. If the other person is severely injured and you are not, expect a law suit against you. Expect your insurance to be cancelled. Expect that you will now be placed in an assigned risk pool if you are insurable at all. Expect your reality to turn into a pile of s**t.

As someone posted above, there is no track medic on hand if someone gets injured. So, if there is an event that causes an injury, the unlucky party can have the experience of bleeding out while fantacizing about the race that he or she might have won. Not much of a comfort to the person's surviving relatives.

If you are caught street racing, in some states, you will lose the car and your license. You will also then have a record. If you intend to be a licensed professional, the record could create, at a minimum, assuming it is only a misdimeanor, an embarrassing event to explain to the licensing body doing the background character and judgment check. If it resulted in a felony conviction, the licensing consequences could be far more severe.

Spirited driving is something all of us probably do at one time or another but it is best kept to a solo endeavor with no passengers and no other cars nearby or in sight and only after all mechanicals have been checked for proper function. And, of course, done in a lawful manner.

For the posters who engage in street racing, I would suggest that you might be the best drivers in the world but s**t happens. And when it does, your life can be changed forever.

Can anyone here play the violin??:dunno::rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little data to show the next idiot that challenges you to a street race:

ILLEGAL RACING STATS

Nationally those are some meager numbers to support an anti-streetracing campaign. Drunk drivers kill 15,000 people annually and they don't even take their car away for drunk driving.

That said, the times they are a-changing and the bottom line is you're gonna lose your car if you street race so don't do it. You're much better off to just get drunk instead.
/sarc

Sarcasm aside, of all types of racing, street racing proves the least of any of them. So you got a car that can run 50mph to 150mph faster than another, it doesn't mean you have any skill. Drag racers know the skill is in the launch and road racers will laugh at you for bragging about a 150mph roll.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to do it, I guess that's your decision.

Please don't make it out to be reasonable and prudent.

As far as open roads here in the Panhandle and West Texas. All sorts of animals can pop up on the roads. Farmers can pop up with a tractor out of a field. Since the area is so deserted, they weren't expecting you as well as you not expecting them. Every road in this area has a trooper assigned to it. He owns that piece of road. If you race on it he's probably going to hear about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62