RaceDeck Garage flooring?

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have this stuff in their garage? and can recommend which style to get? Also can you list the prices you paid? anyone have a hook up? I'm ready to order it I just cant figure out which one is best.

I saw numerous Viper's in the photo gallery. So i know some of us have it!

You must be registered for see images

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it down in my garage.

I hired a contractor who does custom garages so I don't know the specific costs just for the tiles.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have it down in my garage.

I hired a contractor who does custom garages so I don't know the specific costs just for the tiles.

Looks great, he used racedeck? i heard black/white is very hard to keep clean?

Also i heard you should put something underneath the tiles so it doesnt "click clack" when you walk on it.

Reaction score
I got it as well, did it with my son.
Ordered directly from Racedeck, they are a VCA member, Viper owner and offered us a VCA membership discounts.
Easy to install, kind of like legos, I liked the checkerboard look with 2-colors, and went with the 18" tiles.
I recommend putting down roofing felt paper under the tiles to soften the sound.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great, he used racedeck? i heard black/white is very hard to keep clean?

Also i heard you should put something underneath the tiles so it doesnt "click clack" when you walk on it.

It is very easy to keep clean. About twice per year I use Simple Green on it, mop it just a little, pressure wash it and then blow it dry - that's it. Doesn't seem to stain either.

I don't notice the clicking wound but the installer did a great job installing it which may have something to do with that.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been researching garage flooring and reading old posts on Racedeck / other tile floors and floor coating coatings. To the guys with Racedeck, do you have a hard time with leaves, grass clippings and other junk that blows into the garage getting stuck in the tile patterns and seams?

:usa:

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been researching garage flooring and reading old posts on Racedeck / other tile floors and floor coating coatings. To the guys with Racedeck, do you have a hard time with leaves, grass clippings and other junk that blows into the garage getting stuck in the tile patterns and seams?

:usa:

No, leaves blow in but I just use the leaf blower to blow them out.

CamanoViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put these in a couple of years ago and I'm not really happy with them. There are several problems, the most noticeable is they sound cheap and nasty like you're walking on plastic. Probably because that's exactly what they are. I tried roofing felt but it didn't quiet them down much. I ended up using 2-in-1 floor underlayment (same stuff used under Pergo style flooring) and the noise was vastly improved. No more snapping and gritty noises, but it still doesn't sound like a solid floor.

One big problem is that water seeps down between the cracks and gets trapped underneath. I noticed after a few months that there was a moldy smell in the garage and I found it was coming from under the tiles. I now have a dehumidifier running 24/7 and it has solved that problem.

And a quirk of the plastic is that if you leave the garage door open and the sun shines in, they will expand and buckle slightly. It fixes itself when they cool down, but it still looks odd.

Here's mine right after I put in the floor before the rest of the garage was finished.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put these in a couple of years ago and I'm not really happy with them. There are several problems, the most noticeable is they sound cheap and nasty like you're walking on plastic. Probably because that's exactly what they are. I tried roofing felt but it didn't quiet them down much. I ended up using 2-in-1 floor underlayment (same stuff used under Pergo style flooring) and the noise was vastly improved. No more snapping and gritty noises, but it still doesn't sound like a solid floor.

One big problem is that water seeps down between the cracks and gets trapped underneath. I noticed after a few months that there was a moldy smell in the garage and I found it was coming from under the tiles. I now have a dehumidifier running 24/7 and it has solved that problem.

And a quirk of the plastic is that if you leave the garage door open and the sun shines in, they will expand and buckle slightly. It fixes itself when they cool down, but it still looks odd.

Here's mine right after I put in the floor before the rest of the garage was finished.

You just listed all of the reasons I prefer bare concrete. Doesn't look fancy, but...

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The race deck floor looks great but I have wall to wall gray carpet from home depot thats glued down. Its a low cut indoor/outdoor that really holds up and inexpensive. It keeps the dust down, easy on the knees, and really helps the garage stereo sound without the echo. Just an occasional vacuum. Its been down for 10 years now and looks almost new still. Wont work if you have an oil leaker sled of course and I dont do my own oil changes anyway.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I have a few questions, as I too have been looking into flooring for my garage. I read the post where a few problems had been discussed, so:

- Most important for me is when water gets under the tiles. During heavy rain, a little water gets under one of the doors (of course on the side where the RT is). I run a dehumidifier all summer to keep the humidity down...is that all I need, or should I not put anything down as long as this problem exists?
- In between the checkered tiles, are the solid color sections tile as well?
- I assume that you can easily cut these tiles when getting near a wall and it doesn't fit exactly, is that true?

I have not done indoor/outdoor carpet, because of the water/mildue problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Peter

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Race Deck down about 3 years ago--must have been the easiest "Handy-man" thing I have ever done...But would reccommend a table saw to make it that way. The tiles rip down real easy for an exact fit---but...in the summer the tiles will swell, so leave some room on the ends for that movement. I put the floor down in the cooler months and butted up against each wall, now in the real hot summer months, they "pop up" a little.
Love the look they give and have gotten many positive comments from freinds on it---although my only real complaint is the noise when you walk on them--does sound cheap at first--but you get used to it, and I love to see the dogs slide on them and slam into the door when they can not stop!!! Hey, come on it's a little funny--they don't hurt themselves--and after doing it a few times--they learn!!!
The tiles do show water marks between the tiles--but once or twice a quarter I damp mop it and Bam--shiney and new all over again!!! Enjoy.
Bob

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, now that you mention water marks, up here where we get lots of snow, what effect (if any) does sand and rock salt have...when you come in after driving for awhile, the truck drops lots of messy snow on the floor...any problem from that?

Thanks very much for the info.

Peter

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen garages with the Race Deck flooring and they do look great. I decided to go with epoxy coating and couldn't be happier. No buckling, no gaps, no discoloration, no scratches, no fuss and no leaves or critters getting caught in the joints. When I get a wild hair, I'll take the a graden house to it and give it a cleaning with some simple green. I've noticed a lot less dust since the epoxy. Just another option to consider but if you're looking for the checkered pattern it's very difficult to do with epoxy and the costs will sky rocket. http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/613811-my-garage-floor-project.html

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The race deck floor looks great but I have wall to wall gray carpet from home depot thats glued down. Its a low cut indoor/outdoor that really holds up and inexpensive. It keeps the dust down, easy on the knees, and really helps the garage stereo sound without the echo. Just an occasional vacuum. Its been down for 10 years now and looks almost new still. Wont work if you have an oil leaker sled of course and I dont do my own oil changes anyway.

Any pics of your garage carpet? I am mulling over my options right now also. UCoatit is number 1 currently, but I have not considered indoor/outdoor carpet.

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed this...My wife bought me racedeck...Never installed and sent back. This is made by TNEMEC...Cement backwards! lol

This stuff is resilient to solvents, etc. A texture finish for non-skid. I use my leaf blower to get the dust out, etc. Custom colors, etc. This is not the typical Home Depot product. MUCH different.

Love it so far.

TNEMEC.com: Series 224 | Deco-Fleck

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did my garage floor last weekend with tiles from Floor Junkies. They were a fraction of the cost of one of the popular brands everyone talks about and from doing lots of research most owners seem to like the product.

The actual install took less than 2 hours. A rubber mallet helped things go much faster. I installed felt roofing paper between the concrete and tiles, which was recommended by a few people to reduce any clickety-clack noise.

I left a small gap along the walls for thermal expansion in the summer and took one of the red trim panels to Home Depot and had the color matched so I could paint any exposed part of the concrete floor to blend in. I think it turned out rather well. I'd post some pics but I still have the rest of the cabinets and a few things to hang back on the walls.

My only complaint about the whole project is that I think the garage now looks too nice to store my lawnmower, ladders and other basic outdoors equipment so I guess that stuff will have to go in the basement. :)

Anyone have a nice Sneaky Pete logo that I could print on a clear sheet and use a borrowed overhead projector to make a design on the wall? I've seen several examples of this on various threads around here and they look good.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Zracer hit on the product to use! In my work life we've used Tenemec on exposed structural steel, I never thought to research if they had a floor coating. Judging by their performance in the commercial world it should last forever in our garages.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only complaint about the whole project is that I think the garage now looks too nice...

BINGO! Hey, I actually work on my car in the garage on the bare concrete, and at no point do I ever have to think, "I'd better be careful, this might hurt something if I screw up." Talking about the floor, not the car!

But I do suppose there are a lot of car owners that do not spend time in the garage wrenching on the cars, so that joke really may not apply. But I just can't imagine ever thinking about hurting or scratching or mopping or whatever the garage floor. Ain't right.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a contractor by trade and I can tell you Rustolem 2 part Epoxy is the best floor coating out there.Almost impossible to damage the floor,you can always add the colored chips to enhance your look.
I added blue and white chips.Nice match for my 96 white and blue.
I would post a pic but like I said I'm a contractor I can barely type let alone post a pic
:dunno:
If anyone is interested in the Expoxy coating I can give you a step by step..Very easy to do.

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
There are lot's of flooring options out there and many swear by one style or another.

There are many VCA members who are RaceDeck customers, thank you :) . Your garages in the pictures look great! if anyone wants to send us their RaceDeck garage / Viper photos, we would love them for the site

There were several comments / questions about RaceDeck, I will answer a few
Thanks again!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like my UCoatIt.:headbang:

Edit: No intent to disparage RaceDeck here though. It looks great too.

garage_0081.JPG

Last edited:

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Garage - and Nice Toys!

if yoU Coat It and Eventually We Cover It :lmao:

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Racedeck is , in my opinion , the premium garage floor covering , at a very good price. The inventor,owner, designer offered, very early on, to give VCA members a discount, and he has kept his word over the years. It is nice to support a MoPar fanatic,as he not only has a Viper , but a couple of land speed records over at Bonneville -----in 4cylinder MoPar powered machines!!!

Good guy and we have had great reports from our customers who have availed themselves of Racedecks services.:2tu:

Reaction score
Racedeck is , in my opinion , the premium garage floor covering , at a very good price. The inventor,owner, designer offered, very early on, to give VCA members a discount, and he has kept his word over the years. It is nice to support a MoPar fanatic,as he not only has a Viper , but a couple of land speed records over at Bonneville -----in 4cylinder MoPar powered machines!!!

Good guy and we have had great reports from our customers who have availed themselves of Racedecks services.:2tu:

Agree with Bill, notice my avatar, Racedeck rocks, great customer service and a discount to VCA members.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Bill, notice my avatar, Racedeck rocks, great customer service and a discount to VCA members.
we have had a section of our showroom done with racedeck for over 7 years now. now we are a retail store, so its had THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people who walk on it everyday, and it has NEVER showed any signs of wear. this is by far, a super product. it has motorcycles parked on it everyday too, and its had it share of oil spills etc. we just mop it with soapy water and m30 degreaser even at times.
the stuff still looks like new.
when we build our new dealership in the next few years, you can bet i will use racedeck.
Indiana, KTM, Kawasaki, Schwinn, Polaris, Victory, triton ATV, motorcycle, scooter,Jetski, utility-vehicle, Evansville Superbike Shop should be some pics of our showroom here..
p.s. i tried a section on the opposite side of my showroom with some cheap china made sh** from greg smith equipment and it was a TOTAL waste of money and time.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never mind - I'm more than happy with my brand as I'm sure RaceDeck owners are with theirs.

Last edited:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a professional do my garage floor with the epoxy paint with mixed in paint chips(or whatever you call the stuff). Does not show dirt, cleans up easy and looks great. I just use a wet mop and clean in fifteen minutes.

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Little info video on RaceDeck

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsUo0kYzDaI[/media]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456