What's a fair price to pay for a clutch

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair to who?...you or the installer?:lmao:

Sorry, could not help myself.

Maybe just swing it up to Cragin. He has done tons of these, and can even give you alternatives. Wonder if he could install a 08/09 double disc clutch?

He'll probably even give you a VCA discount.:2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Before you decide on changing the clutch , check out your clutch fluid. We probably have 1-2 folks a year bring in their cars for a new clutch, only to find all they need is the clutch fluid drained and fresh installed.

Obviously not the answer all the time, but surprisingly it is quite common.

Good luck!:2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not All Clutches are created equal.

Price depends AFTER needs are assessed...

Miles on car? (Maybe its the slave?)
How-Where Driven?
HP-TQ? [Your stated 446HP can use a STOCK unit...]
Mods Planned?

Cragin is as fair and honest as they come in your area.....(our parts are tax free, his labor is tax free)

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not All Clutches are created equal.

Price depends AFTER needs are assessed...

Miles on car? (Maybe its the slave?)

28,000.... releasing really high, not slipping yet....:drive:

How-Where Driven?

Daily Driver....... 289 miles to Vegas ;)

HP-TQ? [Your stated 446HP can use a STOCK unit...]
Mods Planned?

No mods planned.

Cragin is as fair and honest as they come in your area.....(our parts are tax free, his labor is tax free)

135 miles to Dans (great guy) place right through LA traffic. Thanks but.....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that LA traffic is a pain. Dan will send a truck to pick up your car and transport it back and forth, but that in a whole nother expense.

Think most any Dodge dealer can put in a new clutch. Should be pretty straight forward.

Anybody want to give Newport VIper a price on getting his stock clutch replaced with another stock clutch, assuming no other items needed?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its two hours to drop trans, another hour to install and two to put trans back and any fluid changes. I would expect 5 hours (getting mine done with other mods). The Z06 is a little over 4 hours.

Might want to look into a lightweight flywheel while your at it, free labor.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PM me your address... Maybe we can come pick it up for you ;)

- Brandon @ DC Performance

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats round trip, with a stop over at *******. : >)

The ******* by 405??? Yes, I was there when I had my EVO worked on in Huntington Beach one Saturday. The shop took too long to tune the car so they lend me their shop STI to go to lunch in. Their car wasn't so hot but I found that ******* and they served up some great buffalo wings and yummy breasts too.... :headbang:

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also thinking of a clutch replacement for my car. It's got somewhat high mileage for 05 model at 31K. My clutch isn't slipping but I have a feeling that soon it will be after a few upgrades including the paxton. I've ran my car with the stock clutch and fidanza alum. flywheel and I loved it. DC installed the flywheel a few years ago on my car and I paid about $400 so I have a feeling that clutch job should be around that neighborhood. Also, if you search online, a complete stock viper clutch kit goes for around $200 or so.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

High clutch pedal engagement is a sure sign that your clutch is wearing out.

Labor is usually about 4 hours @ $100 + per hour, depending on where you take it.

A stock LUK clutch is about $300 to $350 at a discount. Mopar / dealer price is much higher.

You'll want to replace the clutch slave unit too while in there ($150 ish?).

A lightweight flywheel would be a good idea for you and knowing how your drive your car, you'd like it. Prices start at about $450 and go up from there. I have one in my SRTC. You can likely keep your stock flywheel and have it "machined". It'll still be quite heavy, about 10 lbs heavier than a light one.

You will need new clutch fluid and new fasteners for the pressure plate, the flywheel and the U joints. Budget another $100.

Looks like about $1000.00 without a new lightweight flywheel.

I'd call DC and just have them do it. I'll bet Dan could do it in a day if you could get the car over to him in the morning, you could have it back that night.

Hope this helps,

Dan

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave,

Not sure how far we are from you but I was up in Newport last Saturday and think it was about 55 miles. NO TRAFFIC :)

The slave cylinder has gone up and is about $285, always a safe measure to replace but maybe not necessary depending on what problems you may be experiencing.

If you don't need a slave, we can do the clutch for you for $675.00. That is parts and labor with a fluid flush.

If you dropped it off in the morning, we'd have it done for you same day. Let me know and if you want we can schedule it.

Todd
A&C Performance
26765 Madison Ave Suite 102
Murrieta, CA 92562
[email protected]
951-696-0500

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I live in Rancho Mirage out in the desert (but not for long) ....Thats why it's tough to get to DC Perfomance.....

Todd and Brandon.... I will get with you shortly...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave.

Todd and Mike at A C performance are fantastic. Lots of the San Diego guys take their cars there, and they have a great reputation. They are in Murietta, so not such a bad drive from the desert. Have them drop you off at ******* while they work on your car. Have them do an oil change or any other maintenance you are due for at the same time.

Mike Corrasco is an experienced, factory trained Viper Tech that used to work for Jack Powell Dodge. Knows all the right tools to you, and has been working on Vipers for years.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

Todd and Mike do a nice job too.

Dan

jimsmyth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what I paid just last week at Breeden Dodge, FT. Smith, AR:
Clutch kit-pressure plate: $451.00
Resurface flywheel: $49.75
Cluth slave: No charge (they warrantied it)
Labor: (warrantied)
Adhesive-lock & seal: $6.48
Lubricant-trans: $23.00
I have no idea if this was fair but its the only Viper tech in my area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235