New to Viper, but not to Go-Fast World

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Right now the Viper is still up in Missouri. I just finalized the shipping about an hour ago. The goal is to have the Viper sitting in my driveway before Thanksgiving. It sure is tough to find someone with an enclosed trailer at a decent price.
[/url]

Congrats!!! Were is you car at in MO ? I picked up my viper GTS in CO and drove 12 hours in the rain and snow(for the first few hours and my car was clean when i got it home I used my 20 ft sloan kwik load open trailer with a air dam in front.:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By now it's probably on I-35S in Kansas.

I could have taken my open trailer up there, but I admit, I'm lazy, so the price was right to have someone do the hauling, particularly in an enclosed trailer.

The Viper will get its chance to ride on my trailer when I take her to the track. :)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome aboard!!! You have a PM. Better check it to, because we are getting together next week ;)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woo hoo!!! The transporter just called. The Viper is tucked away in an enclosed trailer and headed this way! He's estimating arrival at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow! Anyone in SA who wants to take a little Sunday cruise? :D

YESSSS!!!! CONGRATULATIONS...you will SO LOVE your slithering BEAST~! Let us know when it arrives, and you take 'er out and just ENJOY~!!! GLAD you've joined up with us...:2tu::2tu::2tu:!!!! ~juli
Looking forward to your first pics~~~:eater:

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... I've already dreamed up every possible errand I absolutely positively need to run today. As if some sort of justification is needed to do a little "test drive." :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... I've already dreamed up every possible errand I absolutely positively need to run today. As if some sort of justification is needed to do a little "test drive." :D

Can't wait, didya sleep last night, girl???!!! :2tu: Absolutely love that Viper you picked out...can't wait to see your OWN pics when you get 'er home~~~ENJOY! :drive: ~juli

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nasty and rainy today...ugh. did you still go out? what did you think?

You can now kiss sleeping in on saturdays goodbye...and say hello to more drive time ;)

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cloudy but no rain in SA today -- no slick streets.

So here's a couple quickies of the snake and three Zs. :D:D:D

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

I took a quick spin around the block. As I'm driving up the street, this little kid starts jumping up and down and pointing at me while yelling "Viper! Viper! Viper!" What a trip! :)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a quick spin around the block. As I'm driving up the street, this little kid starts jumping up and down and pointing at me while yelling "Viper! Viper! Viper!" What a trip! :)
Oh, you have no idea what you are in store for... :2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely love the slate crystal pearl -- for a brief moment the sun poked out and it was stunning. I can hardly wait to get about four coats of Zaino on her -- she'll be dynamite.

My vitual kick the tires (a ton of high res closeups from the dealer from all angles) was on the money. Aside from a very small bit of rash on the under engine fairing and a small scratch on the rear fascia (can be buffed out) -- which I noted on my virtual inspection, she is absolutely flawless. Interior is also perfect. Not even a scratch on the door sills (no short skirts when driving the Viper lest ye show the world your wares on exiting). All four OEM Pilot Sports are in good shape with lots of rubber left.

OK, now for the driver's report. I'm going to compare to my '03 350Z which is ultra modified and is very close performance-wise to the Viper (the Viper has a wee bit more torque, but the Z is ahead in ponies on the pavement).

Both have good precise throttle control, with the Viper it's very easy to keep the torque monster at bay because of good pedal feedback when you're about to unleash the beast. Below that point, the Viper is docile and easy to drive. The clutch is good but definitely not a racing clutch like on the Z (instant grab and gone clutch).

Acceleration with the Viper is effortless. Very long gears are quite nice -- very similar to the Z-06 gearing. With the short gears on the Z, you're a shifting fool until you get into third.

While we're talking about shifting, the Z has very clear, well-defined gates (the Z also has a short shifter with a 2" throw giving lightning quick shifts). The gates on the Viper are a bit more nebulous, particularly on shifts from 5th to 3rd (it might be just a function of more practice with 5-3 shifts). The Viper definitely needs a good short shifter.

Steering with the 350Z is incredibly precise at all speeds. Viper steering is somewhat vague and at high speed (over 150 mph) the car tends to wander. At high speed the Z is rock solid to the point where your can take your hands off the wheel and it goes arrow straight. Cornering, we'll take the Z hands down.

The Z has a track tuned suspension and monster StopTechs (Hawk DTC 70/60s on the track). So we really can't compare the street tuned suspension of the Viper when it comes to cornering. The Viper brakes are good -- good torque control and modulation. With the Hawk DTCs they should be very good on the track, although better rotors might be wise.

Overall, both cars are a riot to drive, and both are attention getters. The Viper grabs attention because it's rare and just looks fast standing still (everywhere I stopped today, people got out their cell phones and started snapping photos of her -- one guy actually bowed down to me as I opened the door). The Z grabs attention because it sounds like a turbojet aircraft and has the loudest blowoff valve on earth (it will wake the dead). At 30 mph people think it's going 100 because it sounds like it is.

I'm pretty pleased with the Viper, and it's faster than poop! Dang, those Viper rear tires must have taken about ten rubber trees to make! :D

First mods have to be a good short shifter and exhaust system. :)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The problem with the stopping and cornering is the runcrap tires. Buy PS2s right away and feel the difference. JonB (PartsRack.com - Home) is the man to call.

Roe Racing Viper Performance Parts has the best price on lightweight, slotted rotors.

Women driving Vipers are really exceptional people and you can expect many people to react to you driving your Viper as though they're seeing you naked. They'll be spilling coffee, tripping over their feet, driving into the ditch while attempting to pass, etc. ... so, if you want to wear that short skirt, go ahead, it won't matter that much.

Although the Z and vette Zs are girls cars, seldom do women drive Vipers because there's no electronic aids. Most women prefer to push a button instead of track driving until you're good at it.

Welcome, and enjoy.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL.... I turn the electronic gizmos off when I drive the 350s, and the 300ZX TT doesn't have any of the gizmos. If you track the 350, you've got to turn VDC off or you'll have incredible understeer (you'd be wrestling it around corners all day).

Yep, I'm kinda different when it comes to driving -- no radio playing -- I make my own music with the engine. Just started making some cool Viper tunes today! :D:D:D

I'll let y'all in on a little secret -- the '03 Z's plates are USAF and read FLYIN Z -- the '91 Z's plates are USAF and read Z FLYBY. Uh huh... I flew supersonic jets which is why I have this speed compulsion. I don't drive fast, I just fly low. :D:D:D

I had the Viper out on Randolph AFB today for a bit -- fits right in with the jets!

Another little secret is I do about 95% of the mod work myself, so that's something else that's a little different.

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tere, you are a highly respected inspiration here~!!! (MGW short-throw shifter a must; exhaust? We had the Corsa Track Cat-Back Exhaust/hi-flo cats on our '05 Viper...it was called the 'BLACK BEAST'...sound totally rocked...didn't hurt we also had B&B Stepped Headers as well; tuned with a VECII at the time--car sold this past summer). To work on your OWN cars is just fantastic, and your experience with supersonic jets is truly amazing. NICE to see your comparo with the Z/Viper.
And, as a WOMAN, yep, can't wear the MINI-SKIRTS in the Viper...unless you want to FALL out of the car each time~! :D There are MANY of us women who do NOT like traction control (me being one of them, if I drive the Vette, TC and EST comes OFF, except today I'll admit at 30 degrees, I kept it on, and still enjoyed a bit of spin).
It is wonderful to have you here, Tere~!!! YOU GO GIRL! :headbang::headbang::headbang: ~juli

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli! I can hardly wait to get out on a cruise with a herd of other snakes. It's got to be a sight to behold.

I think more and more women are turning into gearheads these days. It's pretty cool. To one degree or another, all the Z Chickz have done some wrench bending on their cars. I still get a kick out of it when some guy asks, "You did all this?" And I get to grin and say, "Yup." Tickles me no end. ;)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'm kinda different when it comes to driving -- no radio playing -- I make my own music with the engine. Just started making some cool Viper tunes today! :D:D:D

I flew supersonic jets which is why I have this speed compulsion. I don't drive fast, I just fly low. :D:D:D

a couple of great lines :2tu:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
late to the thread, but congats on the car and welcome to the club. I am sure you will not get tired of having 600Hp just waiting for you to control. and as the great Grail Keeper Herb said...Viper has two traction control features, your left foot and your right foot.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cannot tell you how many times that has been me! Although at 6'3" I'm a pretty big kid to be doing that still :)

Congrats on the car, it looks great.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a nice day, so I took the Viper to work today.

Dayum, I got more nose prints on the windows than you can count. All day long, the snake got it's picture taken. She did look pretty darn good when the sun broke the clouds and the pearl finish really popped out.

My boss, called me on the phone as soon as she got in this morning -- "Let me guess, that awesome Viper out there is yours!" (She drives a nice Beemer 325i -- I've been trying to convince her to at least get an M3.)

The Viper was parked in my special "no door dings" parking spot where one of my Z cars would normally be sitting.

Kinda funny -- the ricers know to leave Black Cherry (the '03 Z) alone -- old BC is well-known around town. But today, the fool's seemed to come out of the woodwork. Seems everyone wants to try to run a Viper. :nono:

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And my first Viper techie question is...

Are the valve tappets on the V-10 really noisy? It was the first thing I noticed. It took me back to the big muscle V-8s of the '60s -- noisy little buggers. Are there some better rockers out there that quiet the tappets down a little?

I need to get a service manual (preferably electronic version for my tuning laptop) for the '06 very soon. Any recommendations for a good source? And then I need good tuning software for the Viper. Suggestions on what's good?

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And my first Viper techie question is...

Are the valve tappets on the V-10 really noisy? It was the first thing I noticed. It took me back to the big muscle V-8s of the '60s -- noisy little buggers. Are there some better rockers out there that quiet the tappets down a little?

I need to get a service manual (preferably electronic version for my tuning laptop) for the '06 very soon. Any recommendations for a good source? And then I need good tuning software for the Viper. Suggestions on what's good?

No, they're not. Search valve adjustment thread here on this site and have fun. Remove the heater top to get easier acess to passenger side (2 bolts). Since the cams use hydraulic roller lifters there is no valve lash and no noise.

You could call Sean Roe or Larry Macedo (etc.) and ask about 1.7 rockers. Few people mod the gen3. I think it's mostly us Gen 2 guys that like modifying our cars.

I bought a shop manual from ebay.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a nice day, so I took the Viper to work today.
Dayum, I got more nose prints on the windows than you can count. All day long, the snake got it's picture taken. She did look pretty darn good when the sun broke the clouds and the pearl finish really popped out.
My boss, called me on the phone as soon as she got in this morning -- "Let me guess, that awesome Viper out there is yours!" (She drives a nice Beemer 325i -- I've been trying to convince her to at least get an M3.)
The Viper was parked in my special "no door dings" parking spot where one of my Z cars would normally be sitting.
Kinda funny -- the ricers know to leave Black Cherry (the '03 Z) alone -- old BC is well-known around town. But today, the fool's seemed to come out of the woodwork. Seems everyone wants to try to run a Viper. :nono:

Yeah, that's why these cars can never really be left alone...they DO attract much-o attention~!!! :D And, yep, you'll get anybody and everybody who wants to run a Viper. Just watch the drivers who tend to VEER into you, cus they cannot look away!

Your question on good tuning software: Sean Roe/Roe Racing can help you there!
Ted: Remember we DID mod our '05~! :2tu: The '08 is fine as is, so it's staying stock, just swap out to the MGW short-throw shifter (already done) and the air filter (still to do). HAVE FUN, TERE!!!! :drive::drive::drive: Your Viper is GORGEOUS! ~juli

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But today, the fool's seemed to come out of the woodwork. Seems everyone wants to try to run a Viper. :nono:

Exactly! Even on PCH (the worlds most expensive car show) the Viper gets constant attention... I went to brunch at the beach, and my Viper was parked front & center, between 2 Ferrari's and a Maybach...
A Porsche was parked at the the other end of the lot :rolaugh:
Valet had to start my car once or twice to get a car from behind it... The rumble from my car made several tables ask "what was that sound?" :rolaugh:
I'm no where near loud... LOL

You'll love your Viper... Driving is always an adventure

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You may want to hold off on getting too wild on the mods, as without knowing it you got one of the rarest color/model combinations ever done. If I remember correctly there were only 28 Slate Coupes done, with half having stripes, so whatever you do make sure you can put it back to original .

Congrats on getting a very unique machine --- as there are supposedly only 13 solid Coupes left , as one was converted to a striped car.

Enjoy.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why these cars can never really be left alone...they DO attract much-o attention~!!! :D And, yep, you'll get anybody and everybody who wants to run a Viper. Just watch the drivers who tend to VEER into you, cus they cannot look away!

Ted: Remember we DID mod our '05~! :2tu: The '08 is fine as is, so it's staying stock, just swap out to the MGW short-throw shifter (already done) and the air filter (still to do). HAVE FUN, TERE!!!! :drive::drive::drive: Your Viper is GORGEOUS! ~juli

And Tere could buy a new Roe supercharger is she really wanted some power now that it's out, I meant that most Gen 3s get headers and exhaust, few get more than that.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to hold off on getting too wild on the mods, as without knowing it you got one of the rarest color/model combinations ever done. If I remember correctly there were only 28 Slate Coupes done, with half having stripes, so whatever you do make sure you can put it back to original .

Congrats on getting a very unique machine --- as there are supposedly only 13 solid Coupes left , as one was converted to a striped car.

Enjoy.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
Actually, I knew it (my guess was about a dozen made and with the 5 spoke OEM wheels it's a little rarer -- I think most of them had H-spoke), and it was a long search to find her. I almost gave up and went for a black one. Then this one popped up with only 4,500 miles on the odo and still under warranty, so it was a "gotta have her" deal. She had all the service records and the original window sticker as well -- near as I can tell, I have complete providence. The dealership just about gave her away too -- they were hungry for a sale and to get her off the books before year end. She came out of your back yard -- Independence, MO.

Not too worry, I keep the stock parts -- my garage looks like a parts warehouse for Z-32 and Z-33 parts (I think I've still got some '73-'78 Vette parts too), so a few Viper parts to add to the collection is no problem! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, they're not. Search valve adjustment thread here on this site and have fun. Remove the heater top to get easier acess to passenger side (2 bolts). Since the cams use hydraulic roller lifters there is no valve lash and no noise.

You could call Sean Roe or Larry Macedo (etc.) and ask about 1.7 rockers. Few people mod the gen3. I think it's mostly us Gen 2 guys that like modifying our cars.

I bought a shop manual from ebay.

Ted
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to consult the VCA valve adjustment oracle! :)

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm having a barrel of fun with her! I'm gradually building my Viper driving techniques. I finally got a chance to roll in full throttle -- 100+ mph in no time (on the entrance ramp)! Sunday, I took her up to about 150 out in the wide open spaces, but didn't go to full throttle on the run. I've got to get my spare radar detector back from my oldest son before I get in trouble.

I already had some guy in a Lincoln land yacht try to dock with me -- tap the pedal and bye-bye. :)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tere, sounds like you are having a blast! Can't wait to meet you. Our next event is in 2 weeks and i'll be sending out details today :) One of the couples in the club here had a slate with stripes not too long ago...but they have since traded it in and now have two snakes in the corral :) so you you will be in good company with a prior slate owner(s). Take care and I'll give you a shout before next time to catch you up to speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper