My Viper was STOLEN.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on vacation out of state and a sheriff deputy calls me and says he is inside my house after a neighbor called reporting my front door was open for a long time and thought I was gone. Some piece of ---- kicked in my back door and searched for my Viper keys (99 GTS) in a drawer and then drove the car right out of the garage at night. I just spent 4k dollars last week on new wheels and tires plus all the updated fluids, etc. The car was pristine with only 11,000 miles and I have receipts for over 125k dollars on upgrades. Will see how USAA handles this but the car is not replaceable.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy hell!! Thats horrible! How stupid do you have to be to steal a Viper??? Especially one like yours! That thing will stick out a sore radioactive thumb! Here's hoping the car is either recovered quick or your insurance company takes care of you! Sorry for your loss :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude that *****....is it the car pictured? If so I'll watch for any parts becoming "available".

Regards,
Aaron
YES, thats the car. A replica of the Oreca 91 car to the tee. I feel ***** and dont know if I will get another Viper or not. Thanks everyone for all the fun over the years. Mark Kelly.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES, thats the car. A replica of the Oreca 91 car to the tee. I feel ***** and dont know if I will get another Viper or not. Thanks everyone for all the fun over the years. Mark Kelly.

Now you can get that Japanese car you've always preferred... (too soon?):smirk:

Seriously though... I'm SO angry for you. Never mind the monetary value... all that work that went into it! Even if you get it back it's never really the same. You HAVE been *****. How can you ever leave your home again and feel safe about it?

If the f#@kers ever get caught... give us their info... we'll make sure you're far away with a lot of witnesses around while something tragic happens to them. :mad:

As for insurance... since the car was parked in the garage... would that count as a homeowner's insurance claim? Anybody know if that would be a possible/better way to do it?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy hell!! Thats horrible! How stupid do you have to be to steal a Viper??? Especially one like yours! That thing will stick out a sore radioactive thumb!

low lifes are stupid for sure

I feel ***** and dont know if I will get another Viper or not.

exactly right, it is a personal violation and it stinks

sounds like the thief knew a little too much

i feel for you friend

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for insurance... since the car was parked in the garage... would that count as a homeowner's insurance claim? Anybody know if that would be a possible/better way to do it?

No it is still covered under you auto policy. I had this issue when rims were stolen from my garage. even though they werent on the car the were for a car that I had insured. which ***** because you have to pay two deductables

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel for you. Having something stolen is one thing, but the feeling of being violated once someone is in your HOME is pretty hard to bear. When I had a few guitars stolen from me a few years back, the fact someone had been in my home was as much or more unnerving than the fact I had property stolen.

As everyone else said, your car is not only a Viper, but a VERY unique Viper. It's not going to stay hidden for long. It's going to turn up and those pieces of sh*t are going to be caught. Stay strong, man...our thoughts are with you.

Payne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss.

If you could please keep us posted on how USAA takes the claim with all of the mods, that would be much appreciated. I had a Honda stolen with a stereo and they were very reasonable. Dont know what $125k vs $1250 means though.

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of the reports I take, the majority of times, a theft like this can be traced back to someone that knew you or knew of you through an acquaintance, family member, friend, or anyone who has been in your home, knew of your Viper, and aware of your schedule (on vacation). So it's less likely to be just a "random" theft.

The violation of someone invading the privacy of your home is something never forgotten. Very sorry to hear you lost your Viper. Hopefully it will be recovered and the punks are found and get what they have coming to them. Again, sorry for your loss. :(

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever activate the alarm and set it off. Then don't reset it, so basically the car will fire up and run for a second then shutdown! When back at home use the key reset the alarm in the glove box and your on your way.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:alert::alert:I got the North Texas Posse :phone: on alert.:alert::alert:

Yeah, what kind of idiot steals a Viper, let alone a red one, let alone a race car replica.

********* are easy to find. :spank: I just hope your car survives. :rip:

Your theft brings up a point that I decided to cover as soon as I bought my car 2 years ago. I never leave the keys at home when I'm not in the car. I'm in the DD today, and both sets of GTS keys are with me.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel for you. I can't imagine how they could even consider unloading a car like that without drawing attention. Even the parts would be very hard to sell without being noticed.

After watching a few episodes of "It Take a Thief" I always keep my keys in a hidden lockbox when they aren't on my person.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss. It's an easy car to spot, I'll keep eyes open down south here.

I never thought about the fact that someone would break into a house to steal a car. I'll be getting a wall safe installed very soon. If I put them in my gun safe, then they would have my guns and my Viper.:omg:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to add to your dismay, but this is only the beginning of your aggravation and disappointment. Just wait until the scumbag is caught and our impotent justice industry gets hold of him.

Good luck. If he is caught post every bit of info you can get on him.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW!! That is just wrong on so many levels! I thank you for posting! I hope we all learn something from this! I know I will be taking some steps to prevent this from happening to me. Thank you again and So sorry to hear of your loss!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also very angry for you... :mad:. As stated, that car simply cannot be hidden...I'm so sorry this happened to you. And, we see it can EASILY happen to any of us. Thank you for posting this, tho it had to be extremely hard...your car IS a true gem (I'm going on the premise that YOU WILL HAVE IT BACK AGAIN). Please stay in touch, and keep us posted? ~juli

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does sound pretty fishy. How would someone know that you are on vacation and that you have a Viper. Was there anything else stolen?

You should notify the Viper parts sellers to keep a look out for certain parts being sold from suspicious sources.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally *****! Do you leave your garage door open often where passersby could see your Viper? I agree that it sounds like either someone you know, or someone close by. That's a pretty deliberate act, to break into your house and just steal the car. Was anything else stolen? or just the car? If nothing else was touched, I think it's safe to assume it's someone you know or have met... who would have thought you would have to hide your car keys in your house!

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had things stolen - it cuts deeper than just loosing some stuff. You do feel violated and you want to cause the person who did it a great amount of pain.
I'm sure there are a lot of people interested in how your insurance company handles this so please stay in touch.
Hopefully, if all is right in the world, bad things will happen to bad people.

Good Luck!!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally *****! Do you leave your garage door open often where passersby could see your Viper? I agree that it sounds like either someone you know, or someone close by. That's a pretty deliberate act, to break into your house and just steal the car. Was anything else stolen? or just the car? If nothing else was touched, I think it's safe to assume it's someone you know or have met... who would have thought you would have to hide your car keys in your house!

I hear ya there...we do NOT leave our garage door open at all, we live in an 'okay' area, but lots of crime. If I'm mowing, I lock up everything and put keys in my pocket, as I'm often mowing out of sight of the house. Not paranoid, I think it's just realistic.
If we see a bunch of kids walking down the road, we will wait til they're past us to open up the garage and get the cars out. BUT, it's NOT to blame anybody here...clearly someone WANTED that Viper and was going to TAKE it. We also would love to know if this person gets CAUGHT, you get your VIPER back, and what 'happens' to this person. Please keep in touch with us. ALL my best....juli

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see how USAA handles this too. I just called them earlier in the week when I was adjusting some policy coverage and asked about what I could expect on my 01 GTS should something bad happen. They were pretty callous since to them, its just a Dodge vehicle with coverage XYZ...like any other auto I have with them. Back in '99 when my F350 4x4 CC diesel with many many aftermarket goodies was totaled, they did adjust for some of that after I gave them receipts. I think some of that was because the adjuster was a local guy in Northern Wisconsin, I was overseas, and my Dad and he had coffee a few times. Not sure what kind of reception you'll get. I hope for the best!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave