Did you buy brand new for your first Viper?

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you bought your first viper was it the brand new model for the year or did you buy a used one and then later upgrade?

I am thinking about buying an older one 1st or 2nd gen first. Love how they look but also love the features of the newer ones.

With the prices today, my thought process was to get a gen1 or gen 2 for under 35k, pay it off and by then the gen 3's will probably come down in price and then I could buy a gen3.

right now I would want to keep the first one too.

these Vipers are really bad for my sleep patterns. can't stop thinking about them.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...I definitely hear ya!!! We bought our '05 in Oct. of 2004. Sold it earlier this year, and got an '08. The '05 had mods added, the '08 is going to stay stock, as it's fine as is~! Good Luck on your search for the right Viper for you~! Absolutely LOVED the BLACK BEAST (our '05) and I do miss it!
~~juli

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought mine new,when younger in age was to cheep to pull the trigger,if you can afford it,buy what ever makes you happy at the time.the new ones are alot of money even used,i ordered mine cause i wanted exactly what i wanted if i was going to spend over 50k

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New. Went in looking for a Gen2 and drove off in a Gen3. Go figure!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first one was new (08 in GTS Blue). I searched for quite a while and was going to spend 55K so buying new was worth the effort.

Bruce

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked for a year and a half to find a yellow RT with tan interior. At the time. they had stopped yellow. Found one in San Diego while on vacation and we bought it. Used with only 14K on the clock. I got to speak to the original owner which was nice since he too was an old fart like me. I asked why he sold it and he stated "it wasn't practical" , in repsonse---"this is why I want it". Had it shipped home, kept it for about 8 years and got tired of no windows. locks, roof when raining. One Saturday drove it to Ringold Dodge and traded for a new 06 coupe. I love the new one. but that gen 1 was a very cool car. miss it! John

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my first new. As JonB stated not many used ones....
1995 RT/10...Sold her, then bought her back, our relationship just wasn't the same so i had to let her go again.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2003 I purchased a new 2002 Viper GTS for $63,200. The sticker was $79,000. It had never been out of the dealers showroom. I had planed to buy an 03 but really love the looks of the Gen II over the Gen III. Plus I perfer a coupe which wasn't available at the time.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first was a new 1995 green one. Would have bought one sooner but the rags that I no longer subscribe to or buy Road & Track and Motor Trend said the Porsche,Ferarri,ZR-1 etc... were better.
I have never regretted owning any of my Vipers 95,98,00,03,04,08.
The sooner you get one the better. Today the best bang for the buck would be 2003-2006. People are giving them away. FOR NOW!!!

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first was a 2001 used GTS that I bought in 2004. When they bought Viper GTS Blue back for the 06 coupe I could not resist.

My personaly taste, I loved the GTS exterior lines, but really enjoy driving a Gen III much better.

OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all of the replies. totally understand buying exactly what you want when you are paying that much for basically a cool toy. another reason for me wanting an older one, of course the price and second since I have never owned a viper I would rather fork out 25-35k and see if I really will love it vs 50-60k and then find out the vipar is not for me. Not that I think that could possibly happen. never been in a 1st gen but I think it would kinda be like my 68 corvette, no real frills just a motor and a stick shift. widows would be a plus though. lol.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had corvettes for 20 years,never looked twice at a viper other than had the respect that they were exotic looking,gen 3 and 4 allways got my eye,never sat in one,just went and ordered a 08 and new i would love it,still like corvettes but dont hold a candle to my 08 viper,love it the best!:usa::):cool:

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went used primarily due to value -- still under warranty and only 4,500 miles on the odo. Since I tend to modify my cars, I wanted the 9.6:1 compression on the '06 -- better for FI. Then I wanted a coupe for rigidity -- tough to find. Then I wanted a slate or black coupe with no stripes -- I like to understate, and despite the heresy of a coupe with no stripes, it's more my style. Finally, I found my '06 slate coupe with no stripes.

I closed the deal last week, and my transporter should be picking her up today or Monday. I'm pretty stoked with the thought of getting her in my driveway before Thanksgiving.

I had an '09 GT-R on order for 8.5 months, and got fed up with the most mucked up new model rollout in history, plus all the black box and tranny issues made it an easy choice to ditch the GT-R and go with my first Viper -- American muscle returns to my driveway.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with a used one (if you can call 1,900 miles used):rolleyes:.

I found that even though some of the 3rd gens were less expensive, I preffered the look of the 2nd gens so that is what I went looking for.

As for choosing what year to go with, that decision was made for me when I fell in love with the bumblebees.... and as I learnt, they are faster than red!:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

:D:D

Robert

OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what I am seeing is that members here buy a particular year and then buy or trade for a newer one. Does anyone buy a new one and then add an older one to their collection?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss my old 1995 green (least desirable color LOL) but I wouldn't go get it back. If I let a car go the memories are all I keep.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
94 RT/!0 2K mile used
99 ACR 6K used
06 SRT Coupe 1.2K used
06 SRT Coupe New
08 SRT Coupe 1.2K used

The common theme in all my used vipers was that they still were in the 3/36 warantee period. Don't be afraid of a clean used viper.

To your second question, if I had the room I'd love to have; 92 RT/10, 94 RT/10 yellow, 98 GTSR, 99 ACR silver/blue, 05 Vert in yellow.

Lastly, lot's of good used vipers, the difference in price between a 10 year old 1-2 owner and a 5-6 owner is nominal, find a 1-2 owner with records.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought used initially as I couldn't afford new at the time. I bought a barely USED 94 R/T (only 251 miles) in 1998. I sold it in 2002 to purchase a NEW 2001 bumble bee GTS. Also aquired a USED blue/white 97 GTS in 2004 (always loved these). And finally, bought a NEW 2008! :2tu:

OP
OP
D

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
understand the room issue. I am looking at my yard and needing to talk to the city to see how big of a garage I can put behind my house. I have room for up to a 10 car garage but I am not sure what the building codes are yet. that issue will have to be addressed after I buy my first viper. still drooling.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
understand the room issue. I am looking at my yard and needing to talk to the city to see how big of a garage I can put behind my house. I have room for up to a 10 car garage but I am not sure what the building codes are yet. that issue will have to be addressed after I buy my first viper. still drooling.
LOL... I know the garage space issue with three Z cars, a car hauler and now a Viper. My driveway is looking more like a used car lot. :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why buy new, when nearly new will do? Let somebody else take the beating off the lot...

True. I bought mine barely used and its a keeper. Not saying a new purchase is out of the question but with prices where they are these days there are plenty of good deals out there even on 08's. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st - 2002 rt/10 graphite used all options 2300 miles - sold at 9900 miles
2nd - 2003 srt/10 241 miles used (lol) great price, sold 3500 miles
3rd - 2004 srt/10 silver new 41 miles, sold 3200 miles
4th - 2002 rt/10 used graphite 799 miles , at present 5600 miles and counting:D

The viper I own now is the exact same car as the first one I purchased.
I loved my first viper so much I was on a mission to get the same car back
with low miles and found it. So For me 3 used and 1 new, been happy with
all of them. My dream Viper now is the 2009 graphite/red driver stripe ACR.
Once you own a Viper you most likely will always own a Viper.:2tu:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love the way you think!!:rolaugh: Forget a 3 car garage, go for the maximum!! I love it! Grantd, could be because I think the same way......:rolleyes:

1st - 2002 rt/10 graphite used all options 2300 miles - sold at 9900 miles
2nd - 2003 srt/10 241 miles used (lol) great price, sold 3500 miles
3rd - 2004 srt/10 silver new 41 miles, sold 3200 miles
4th - 2002 rt/10 used graphite 799 miles , at present 5600 miles and counting:D

The viper I own now is the exact same car as the first one I purchased.
I loved my first viper so much I was on a mission to get the same car back
with low miles and found it. So For me 3 used and 1 new, been happy with
all of them. My dream Viper now is the 2009 graphite/red driver stripe ACR.
Once you own a Viper you most likely will always own a Viper.:2tu:

Interesting. Went from a 2nd gen, to 2 3rd gens, and then back to a 2nd gen. Do you like the 2nd gens better or is it coincedental??:dunno:

Robert

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty much my dream car was my first viper and I was lucky enough
to get it a second time. gen 2 is my first love and nothing else comes
close BUT I really want a 2009 ACR graphite/red drivers stripe in the
future. I like all the gen's on their own merit, buy the one that moves
you.:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't want a Viper because they were too slow. My 440 duster is a 10 sec car. My Stealth TT -11s. But, when a modified vette beat my Stealth by a length I bought a supercharged Viper. With very few modifications it blew everything off the road and got 20mpg.

Runcraps and rain destroyed my 98 GTS, but I got a 10.5@139mph Street tired car for a replacemnet. Forged pistons upgraded this '01 backwards to being as good as the late 90s forged engines. My GTS came with lighweight brakes, Unitrax axles and loops, forged 1 piece lighweight wheels, S shifter, headers and Corsa, etc. I added another $10,000 in mods (bigger) lightweight brakes, BT stereo, SRX, lowered the seat, ported the heads, wideband, pwr str bracket, bra, etc. Nearly perfect now.

More than enough power except for a wrinkle slicked fully caged, race only car and capable of mid 9s on DRs. Runs good on road courses and also gets 20mpg.

It's a keeper. Being a hp fanatic event the '08 is too slow. Only a highly modified Viper is good enough to drive bi highway miles without having to suffer any diminishing of drivability because of the HUGE hp.

I'm guessing that there's easily been more than $50,000 in upgrades. It's not JUST a VIPER. IT's a Superviper.

No vettes, Galardos, 430s, GTRs, etc. etc. are worthy. My Duster on Nitrous might be close ... on street tires ... maybe.

Don't buy "old", buy "better".

Unless you're wanting stock, then the ACR is recognized as the fastest in the world - stock. Buy what YOU want the most. It's your money and it's your happiness. If you plan to travel, buy a GTS or a coupe as they HAVE the room required for the wife's suitcases and shoes! You'll thank me later.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to travel, buy a GTS or a coupe as they HAVE the room required for the wife's suitcases and shoes! You'll thank me later. {quote rtttted}

Don't clump 'us' all together...some of us don't CARE about clothes/shoes, etc. :nono: (I despise shopping! :crazy2: )
Just gimme CARS...! :D:drive::drive: ~juli