ACR doing autocross

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the ACR out to Fontana to do a few autocross runs to get familiar with the car as this is the first front engined sports car I have had in quite a while. Here's the car's initial setup:
Ride Height: 100mm front, 130mm rear
Front Shocks: 5 clicks from stiffest for both compression and rebound
Rear Shocks: 4 clicks from stiffest for both comp and reb.
Weather: mild day w/ temps in the 70's in the AM.
First run, first turn: with no warning at all, the tail came around and I did a 180 but didn't hit any cones. I didn't brake nor lift nor goose the throttle but car came around nonetheless. Later on, found out because I took a later apex than most others and I got on a very dusty part of the course.
Understeer:
The car was pushing somewhat (less than say a 996 GT3 w/ stock alignment and more than a Ferrari Challenge Stradale) so after a couple of runs, I went to 7 clicks from stiffest in the front for compression, didn't change rebound as I couldn't get to the know without busting out the jack. The car then got more neutral with this setting, and by the way, after I got home I soften the front's reboudn by 2 more clicks to match that of the compression and I found this setting a very good compromise for the street also. Once more negative is dialed in with an alignment, I think the car can rotate very well. The rear of the car is very planted once the PSC's got some heat into them but I don't think I ever reach 150F during the short course so I was pretty much running with cold tires all day. Would have to change tires if I were to autox this car on a regular basis.
Turn-in:
I am happy with the turn-in so I don't know if the car needs the sterring rack bushings. But still not as good as my 996 GT3 and Lotus Elise, better than my Ford GT. Sterring effort is heavier than all my other cars except the Lotus which is non power-assisted.
Power:
I ran the whole course in first gear as I wanted to get familiar with power-on oversteer of the car in a safe environment and found the car much easy to power out of tight corners under part (don't even think using WOT unless you are pointing dead straight) throttle than my 996 GT3 (see last few seconds before finish in the video). Car has plenty of explosive power, even with the 3.07 OEM gears. I am trying to compare this to my Ford GT which I autocrossed last month and think the Viper really isn't that much slower than the GT which has 700 RWHP on 91 octane.
Brake Modulation:
Very liner and very easy to modulate. But autox is not a venue to test brakes in.

Here's a video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrPdcBRBiw[/media]

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why not just start out with SRT's recommended settings?

My car is set to the "rough track" ride height with -2.1/-0.8 camber. It still tends to understeer, but the back end can gently come around with to little or too much throttle. I'm thinking a 18x11 front wheel may fix this understeer, even if I decide to stay with the 295 PS Cups.

For some TrackVisioned videos of my car, look here and here. If you're familiar with GT3s, I'm told GT3 Cup cars on Yokohama slicks were running about 2 seconds quicker than the lap in my PBIR video. I think thats pretty good, considering the time I left on the table.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it was the camera position, but it looked like a pretty boring course.

My thoughts too. Designed better for a Mini than a Viper. Still a perfect (and safe) way to test the handling, but not much better than a Walmart lot at 6:00AM.

I hate when they design a course designed foremost for safety, leaving fun as the last priority. There ARE ways to design safe braking areas without sacrificing some speed.

Nice car!

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a Speed Ventures event and all their autocross courses are only 40 seconds long average, not exactly what I call fun. The Porsche Club in Orange County is different and when they hold their autox in El Toro, the course is ususally 70 seconds or so with longer straights. I try to run as many autox's as possible, usually in a Lotus or Evo X but at least there's no work assignments with Speed Ventures.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was a Speed Ventures event and all their autocross courses are only 40 seconds long average, not exactly what I call fun. The Porsche Club in Orange County is different and when they hold their autox in El Toro, the course is ususally 70 seconds or so with longer straights. I try to run as many autox's as possible, usually in a Lotus or Evo X but at least there's no work assignments with Speed Ventures.

Nice vid Bruce, did ya get it out of 1st gear? Next time run the Roval at Cali Speedway with Speed Ventures. It's one of the few tracks you'll actually use 5th gear hitting 160+. Aaron Bitterman is a good friend of mine, they put on a great event.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456