About to realize 15 year dream!

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings all!

Since I was a boy in the early 70's I've always loved cars. Some of my first memories are times with my dad in his 60's GTO's. I've always seen the automobile as highly functional ARTWORK. From the age of 5 I could name almost any car by make/model/year without really being taught - its always been a natural passion. Growing up I loved going to car shows more than going to Disneyland or funparks. I've never had favorite makes - I've always gravitated toward great design whether American or foreign, muscle or exotic. BUT, from the moment I first saw the debut photos of the 1996 Viper GTS (I think it was on a magazine cover in 93'), it has been my favorite car, period! For 15 years it has been my dream to one day own a 1996 or 1997 Viper GTS with blue and white stripes. My girlfriend of 6 years and now fiance, has the fever too - we told ourselves that when we had bought a house (we did that right away 6 years ago), had our daily drivers paid for (did that last year), and could afford a Viper outright, that we would finally do it. The house we bought didnt have a garage so last year I built a 2 car garage with a 10 foot ceiling so I could have a lift for a Viper. I am about 5 or 6 months away from having the Viper fund complete and can not wait til that day. I can't believe the moment of truth is almost here! I once spent likes 4 hours straight just studying the lines of the car at the Chicago Auto Show back in 94' or 95'. When I finally have one in my garage, I might put a comfy chair out there so I can just sit there and soak it up the first month! :) I've only drove one once, back in 96' and I loved the raw power and feel of the Viper.

I've lurked on and off here very briefly over the years - tried to do as much due-diligence as I can so I'm ready to buy right, but I'm sure I'll have questions going forward if you guys don't mind. I'm thinking of buying the Buyers Guide too if its worth having. I look forward to joining the Club and the local chapter (I'm from Illinois by the way). I want to take a serious driving course too after I get it so I can make the most the car and really know its parameters. Any input on where to do that would be appreciated as well...

Sorry for the long-winded intro but I look forward to joining the community and have anticipated this for a LONG time! :)

Talk soon!
Jim

EastTnMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Jim...it's great to hear from someone as wise as you and yours! It sounds like you two have your lives and plans together, and that is wonderful! I had a promise to myself also...when my home was paid for, I planned on a Viper. Now that the kids are grown, the house is mine...so is my '97 blue/white GTS! Dreams do come true Jim, and it sounds like you are about to realize yours! You will love the Viper, as I can't wait to get in the drivers seat every opportunity I can. Again..congrats, good luck, and show us some pics when you get her!
Mike
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! Mine was a 9-year dream come true just 2 months ago! Definitely get the Viper Buyer's, especially if you're interested in a '96/'97 model. It has a lot of good info on what to watch out for...I haven't taken a driving course yet, so I can't help you there. I routinely go to the garage just to look at her...I guess, over time, that will decrease...I don't know.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Jim! There are a lot of good people & Venders here that can help you with your dream car and if I can, don't hesitate to get a hold of me! :cool:

914-763-3136

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Greetings all!

.....The house we bought didnt have a garage so last year I built a 2 car garage with a 10 foot ceiling so I could have a lift for a Viper. I am about 5 or 6 months away from having the Viper fund complete and can not wait til that day. I can't believe the moment of truth is almost here! I once spent likes 4 hours straight just studying the lines of the car at the Chicago Auto Show back in 94' or 95'. When I finally have one in my garage, I might put a comfy chair out there so I can just sit there and soak it up the first month! ..I want to take a serious driving course too after I get it .........Jim

Jim, you sound like a very "Worthy" owner-to-be! and the IL VCA will be a HUGE resource for you to enhance the ownership experience. I spent many a late night back in 1993 peeking into the garage ..... could not sleep....

If you email me your address I will LOAN you a new copy of the buyers guide to see if you think its worth the $25. Return it when done. Or keep it, and send a check.

[email protected]

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Jim!

I just put my first Viper in my driveway less than a week ago. It was a long search to find just the right one, but I found her.

I can relate to your memories of GTOs. Back in the day, I owned a '65 Goat -- one heck of a wicked car.

Most definitely take it easy, and learn how the car performs, lest the snake turn around and bite you in the butt. I'm still on that Viper learning curve even though I've driven high performance cars for over 40 years.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the exciting time Jim. I hope you find just what you're looking for when the time is right.

I made my 15 year dream come true 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. I cannot wait to actually participate in some club events next spring when the weather is nice again.

Post pics when you get it!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the party!

You must be registered for see images attach

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome aboard! as I tell others...kiss sleeping in goodbye...it will be hard to sleep in on a nice day moving foward ;) good problem to have.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are that close to being able to buy, you might consider buying now even if it means borrowing a small portion of it. The market right now is DEFINATELY a buyers market. In a few months it will be spring and the prices will be going up some. Just my $.02 worth. Anyway... congrats....and for the record, mine was a 12 year dream when I got mine a year ago.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just send the check for the book. WELL worth $100! That book is the reason I was finally able to make a decision on what year and model I wanted.

It took me 10 years to save for it, but 1.5 years ago it came home and I have never been the same since!!

Good luck, keep dreaming, and just focus on it and the car will come!:2tu:

Oh, btw, welcome to the funny farm we call the VCA webboards!:lmao:

Robert

OP
OP
J

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!

This community knows how to make a guy feel welcome! Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement - I really appreciate it! ONLY you guys know how I'm feeling right now - I have that "night before xmas" feeling I got when I was a kid all day today. I guess its because I wouldnt let myself feel like this until I knew it was entirely within reach - kept me focused on what I had to do first with this being the prize at the end. Its weird though - I've known that I've met my personal milestones and realized that its actually next on the list for a couple months now but for some reason I've been holding myself back from feeling as excited as I should - too used to shelving the antcipation until it was real I guess. :) I needed something symbolic, so signing up on here last night was it!

I ordered the Viper Buyers Guide when I got home before reading all the replies (thanks for the offer JonB!).

In the meantime I should start thinking about getting the garage ready - whats the best lift unit?

JimK

ps - some great Blue/White GTS pics!

biscwgn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JimK i'm telling you once you get your Viper you will never be the same
i sold my 96GTS a few years ago and have never got over it. As you can tell by me surfing the website, I'm looking to get back in the family. My advice is to start working on your face muscles because all the smiling you are getting ready to do could hurt if you are not ready. HA HA

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got mine in March of this year. Bought mine froma dealership from a Chrysler dealership over three hours away from me. I drove there three times. One to check it out and lay out the deal. The second to finish the deal and the third to just look at her. I had the car transported to me in closed carrier and I was so excited when it was pulled out.

There will hardly be a time when you fill it up with gas that someone won't say something about it. The first time I filled mine up, a guy asked if he could take a picture of it. I will never forget that. Congrats and welcome.

OP
OP
J

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Jim! There are a lot of good people & Venders here that can help you with your dream car and if I can, don't hesitate to get a hold of me! :cool:

914-763-3136

Hey Chuck -

When I get out there and start really kicking tires, I'll give you a shout! One quick question for now - after going back and forth for some time about color choice (red or blue/white), I always come back to blue/white. I was seriously thinking RED for a while recently and then I saw a blue/white on the street about a month back and I swear my heart skipped a beat! :)

Anyway - nuts and bolts comparison, for the most part 96 and 97's are the same animal correct? Considering investment value going forward do you think the 96's will always be considered more desirable? and is it worth the extra money spent? Either way I will be looking for a near pristine example with under 10K miles so I'm expecting to pay more anyhow - ultra clean, low miles and well maintained is my main consideration.

While were on this subject - for interest sake,(not ready to buy right now anyway and I think theyre asking more than I want to go) but does anyone know anything about that 97 with 653 miles on it thats been listed on eBay alot lately and on here? Don't you have to worry about seals/gaskets etc on one thats sat un-used for so long? I've emailed them a couple times asking for the story on that car and considering its rarely been driven, if the owner at least started it regularly etc and I get no response.

Jim

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
I too waited 15 years! I was 12 years old when the viper came out and it was my dream car from the first time I saw it. I remember going the the DC auto show one year and they had the blue/white gts up on a pedestal. I stared at that car for a good half hour while my girlfriend at the time told me it was ugly. She is no longer in my life....I finally was able to buy one just like you want to do in 2007. I can assure you that the wait is well worth it and I would bet my viper that you will not be disappointed. Many people in the car world get caught up simply on performance. I think a lot of people bought the Z06 when it came out simply because it was barely faster than a viper. To me, the looks are more important and the viper definitley has that. I myslef do spend a lot of time just peering into the garage to look at the car. Good luck finding the viper you want and we all can't wait to hear about it.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you find exactly what you are looking for. The day my car arrived I was a basket case. My whole family was here with me on that day and I gave everyone a ride that day. My first drive was with my 80 year old Mom and I think we both nearly had a heart attack. Welcome aboard.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck -

Anyway - nuts and bolts comparison, for the most part 96 and 97's are the same animal correct? Considering investment value going forward do you think the 96's will always be considered more desirable? and is it worth the extra money spent? Either way I will be looking for a near pristine example with under 10K miles so I'm expecting to pay more anyhow - ultra clean, low miles and well maintained is my main consideration.

Jim

That is what I did as well. I wanted under 10,000 miles and was willing to pay a bit more. I ended up paying a bit more, but then again the car only had 1,900 miles on it!:D

Keep looking and dont make a quick choice. Take your time as there is ALOT of good deals to be had right now and likely for the next year or so!

Robert

V

Venomiss

Don't know how long you have been out of your viper but welcome!

Happy hunting for the right Viper for you.

OP
OP
J

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperDoug - I agree 100%! Its all about form AND function with the Viper. Form-wise its a muscular masterpiece - one beautiful design cue leading to another. No weakness in its lines anywhere IMO. Anyone see the Discovery HD special this month on the museum show of the cars from Ralph Lauren's collection? You could easily have slipped a Viper into that show without one patron finding it out of place!

mad0953 - that sounds like a blast my friend! All my close friends and family know what this means to me and I'm sure if mine ends up being trailered in, there will be a hell of a reception party! (there better be) :)

Mopar Boy - its a sad realization but I have to agree. I think this economy is going to get worse for some before it gets better and the first things to go are luxury items. At best its gonna go sideways for a while...

Jim

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the fourm... I too and am a 1st time Viper owner (3mo) with the same Enthusiasm that you have. They are a great car that puts a smile on your face everytime you look in the garage.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the same thrill now as I did four years ago when I got my red GTS.
There's only one thing better than looking out and seeing a Viper in your driveway. :2tu: Enjoy them!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had mine for 2 months and cant stop starin at it.:eater:

OP
OP
J

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the same thrill now as I did four years ago when I got my red GTS.
There's only one thing better than looking out and seeing a Viper in your driveway. :2tu: Enjoy them!

Amazing! What a pair!

I can NOT wait - its actually consumed my thoughts lately LOL

I think Tara (my fiance) has learned more about the Viper than any woman alive in the last 2 weeks - I may be officially driving her nuts! :)

Jim

Last edited:

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I'm goin crazy waiting as well. Only been on this forum a couple months and just can't make money fast enough! As a truck driver I need to drive about 120,000 miles to gross 40k lol. The wheels don't turn fast enough!