2008 Dodge Viper Questions/Specs

MarshallTK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys Im a new member to this forum, so if i sound a little kidy with my questions or dumb, please ignore it before i get the hang of you guys. Yes i am planning to buy a viper in the future, as soon as im in college or close to finishing college and yea.

Hey i recently started to become addicted to cars but not all cars, just one and its the viper. Ive done a whole lot of research and gotten tons of info on it, but its all diffrent.

Specs of the 2008 Viper:

0-60 3.5s
0-100 7.6s
0-150 17s
1/4mile 11.6 @ 126

Can anyone tell me if these are the correct ones? These are the only ones that i seemed to find that were..eh well the fastest, which kinda makes me mad becasue with 600hp and 560lbs of torque it can only manage that? Or is it faster than the specs posted above?

Also do you guys know why dodge didnt come out with a faster viper? Not necessarly more hp even though that would be nice, but just faster.

Do emmisions hold the viper back from being any faster stock?

The Viper Venom 650R only comes with the upgrades of, k&N filter, bigger exhaust and Catalyic converters boosting it 78hp and 85 lbs of torque, couldnt of dodge just done that?

Can the Viper Venom 1000 corner? You know be put on the track and do well?

Also can the viper handle lots of power becasue of its massive engine and pistons which wont really add lots of wear and tear on it?

Also the viper seems very restriced stock, isnt it easy to gain large amounts of hp from small changes??

Sorry about the questions guys, Just questions floating around in my head that have been wondering the answer. I appreciate your time and patience for reading and answering them :).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 VIPER and bone stock in the hands of a PRO DRIVER the car has turned 11.3 at 129.8 mph.(a friend of mine in his ACR has turned a flat11.0.All in all overall performance there is NOTHING (other than the new ZR-1 )THAT PROBABLY COST LESS THAN 500 GRAND THAT CAN COME NEAR THIS CAR PERF WISE.As far as speed the car is making so much power now( over 630 horsepoewer ) that (esp in cold weather )VERY FEW DRIVERS are capable of hooking it up.The Gen 2 Ven 650 R is an aftermarket tuner car and thus not subject to the strict fed regulations a major manu is.A bone stock Gen 4 Viper will however more than give a Gen 2 650 a run for its and has a fyll factory warranty.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marshall --

First, welcome to the board. I am guessing the numbers you posted were from Car and Driver and their comparison test with the Corvette Z06. There are some mags out there that have gotten better times (e.g., Road and Track recorded a 0-60 time of 3.4 s) but those figures are more or less in the ballpark of what the large, glossy car magazines have been testing with the stock Viper.

Tha being said, I agree with the above post that these times are usually obtained by writers/test drivers who have limited time with their press cars although the Car and Driver staffers seem pretty competent.

In terms of could the Viper be faster and could SRT have simply bolted on parts to get the roughly 70 hp jump, sure. This would have required some fairly costly engine certification though. Personally, I think for a true street car, the Viper and cars like the Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GTR are currently pushing the envelope of perfomance. Before getting my 2008 Viper, the other cars I was considering were the Ariel Atom and the Ultima GTR. True, these cars will probably do 0-60 in the 2.6 range but they are not truly street cars in the conventional sense (the Atom, for example, has minimal bodywork, no stereo or AC, and you really need to wear a helmet or eye protection because it has a small windscreen).

Hope this helps.

/Rich

OP
OP
M

MarshallTK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, both of your posts helped.

Hey Rich have you considered buying a Dodge Viper Venom 1000?? Its faster than the ultima GTR and Ariel Atom. :)

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, both of your posts helped.

Hey Rich have you considered buying a Dodge Viper Venom 1000?? Its faster than the ultima GTR and Ariel Atom. :)

No problem. I actually checked out the Henessey webspage regarding the 1000; it looks like the GTR would be faster in some areas (0-60 of 2.6 versus 3.2 for the 1000, 1/4 mile of 9.9 versus 10.5 for the 1000 (although the 1000 has a much higher trap speed). Personally, I like to do track days and driving schools and if I had to choose between the 1000 and the GTR I would go with the GTR. I think the GTR would be a bit more controlled and manageable for the track. I also prefer naturally aspirated cars for the track versus turbocharging. If I was just going to drag race, however, the decision would be a lot tougher.

Take care.

OP
OP
M

MarshallTK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh thats true, they actually have gotten the venom to do a 2.9 to 60 and 9.56 @ 149. But yea i can see the part where the GTR is more controlled on the track.

Take Care :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave