are 09 ACRs / Vipers cheaper in Canada?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stirring up a chat regarding Canadian vs. US prices on new Vipers.

For example, on the Canada Used Autos, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycles Online Classified Ads - AutoTrader.ca site in Ontario, a Dodge dealer has a new 2009 ACR listed for $96,586.00 CAD which = $79,390.10 USD. Can you get one in the US for less?

09 ACR 2009 DODGE VIPER ACR

If you compare other Vipers listed, here's an exchange rate converter if needed..

10-year currency converter- Exchange rates- Rates and Statistics- Bank of Canada

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh you can guess I'm tempted Robert.. I'm actually pricing a new VOI, I'll find out after Christmas what the dealer will give for my RT/10. It's a good time to buy a Canadian car, but as lately.. can be tough to sell.. a catch 22..
Mike

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very interesting - I would be curious to know if a Canadian spec car would have to go through the whole EPA certification process, plus are there any import taxes?

OP
OP

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold a H1 Hummer a while back to a US fellow thru a dealer, he didn't have to pay any Canadian tax (PST or GST) having proof from US Customs that the vehicle was exported out of Canada. There were no import fees at US Customs, and no duty since it was made in the US (NAFTA). The US buyer didn't pay a dime to bring it into the US other than the Detroit / Windsor Ambassador bridge toll.. Canadian Vipers are built to US federal standards, that would not be an issue, the issue is usually the other way around importing into Canada, additional Canada standards requiring daytime running lights, bilingual stickers, etc..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far I've experienced nothing of taxes etc. going south. It's all screw the customer coming into Canada.

I posted 4 new Vipers for sale at Richmond Chrysler at a price of $83,000 Canadian (about $60K us at that time?). I heard that the Cdn dollar is going up and so hve prices so I guess it's a daily thing.

Saw a Canadian SRT10 truck 4 sale at $32K while a US SRT10 - IN CDA was selling for $40,000. Same trucks but huge price differences and the Canaidan Truck had warranty. US vehicles lose their warranty as soon as they come North of the Border. Probably Cdn warranty is good in US (that screw the Canadian thing. When the US dollar was equal our vehicles were +20% cost for Canadians. Fines for US Dealers if they sold to Canadians.

Ted

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem going into Canada to buy a car and bring it back to the US, but big problems buying a car in the US and bringing it back into Canada.

Class action lawsuit underway in Canada with consumers and dealers. Canada has a VERY corrupt auto industry. The consumer really, really gets screwed up there when comparing prices of certain cars. Seems like all the costs and laws are still written around a $0.60 cdn dollar. Someone up there is really lining their pockets and it is not the consumer.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in February compared a Mega Diesel here and US. Can was $65,000 and US for the SAME truck, was only $40,000.

I don't get it....:dunno:

Robert

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the catch??? it seems like there is a problem here?? Am I just not reading this right or could you save more than 15k buying from canada?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other way around. US is cheaper than Canada.

Traditionally, Canada is 25-30% (give or take) more expensive for the same thing. The automakers say it is becasue of the exchange rate but even when it was at par, Canada was still more.

Robert

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other way around. US is cheaper than Canada.

Traditionally, Canada is 25-30% (give or take) more expensive for the same thing. The automakers say it is becasue of the exchange rate but even when it was at par, Canada was still more.

Robert
Normally you're correct. I bought my car in the US and Daimler cancelled my warranty at the Border last year. No refund for 2 years remaining on warranty.

Richmond Chrysler, in Richmond BC, was selling 4 VIPERS for $83,000 Canadian - um that changes, but that would be about $60,000US? For a Brand new Viper? Phone them and buy one.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the exchange on a 2009 Challenger from Canada would be??

What You have to do is Call a Canadian dealership for a price, then call the Bank and ask the exchange rate at that minute - it may change by the time you get to the bank.

You could search Canada Used Autos, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycles Online Classified Ads - AutoTrader.ca and pick a city nearest you. The Dealers list big prices and I think that if you phonje them you can probably get a better deal.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same when I brought my car over a few years ago and it had warranty left on it too.:(

Robert

On the news year before last (?) I saw that there is a class action law suit based in Calgary. Might be worth a grand or so to sign up. Post if you find a link of lawyer's name.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And Lee Taylor bought a huge travel trailer, a Copperhead and then a Harley Davidson Ford Diesel. Trailer from Arizona and other two from Texas.

Ford honors their warranty and they're the ones taht are in the best financial situation. So Ford says, "Please buy my product." and they're in the best shape finacially? Makes sense to me.

Even the US Dodge Dealers get fines if they sell to Canadians. Cacel warranties unless you pay 23% extra? Seems like a bad financial plan to me.

Ted

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Lee Taylor bought a huge travel trailer, a Copperhead and then a Harley Davidson Ford Diesel. Trailer from Arizona and other two from Texas.

Ford honors their warranty and they're the ones taht are in the best financial situation. So Ford says, "Please buy my product." and they're in the best shape finacially? Makes sense to me.

Even the US Dodge Dealers get fines if they sell to Canadians. Cacel warranties unless you pay 23% extra? Seems like a bad financial plan to me.

Ted

Ya so much for the free market our governments preach about. Free market as long as corperations maintain inflated profits at consumers expense:mad:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's why we're in the economic situation we're in. Fuel, Taxes and other costs are so high that the only ones that were doing well were CEOs, UAW guys and Longshoremen.are the only ones that live well? Now all those jobs are done.

Ted

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres a link to a brand new 2008 in British Columbia for 85000. Thats 69500 US, and next week the Canadian dollar will be lower again and the price will be even better.

Canada Used Autos, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycles Online Classified Ads - AutoTrader.ca

These cars are the one exception to the rule, probably as they were bought with a strong Canadian dollar, and are now sold at a low Canadian dollar. Same as currency trading, only in Vipers:D

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's why we're in the economic situation we're in. Fuel, Taxes and other costs are so high that the only ones that were doing well were CEOs, UAW guys and Longshoremen.are the only ones that live well? Now all those jobs are done.

Ted

Teamsters are doing quite well too, $5 increase per hour in the new contract.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456