Clear Bra on an SRT

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u do it,use baby shampoo and water to install,this lets u install and move it to satisfaction,also u can stretch this stuff to form fit.its not hard- but a trick to the trade so to speak.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u do it,use baby shampoo and water to install,this lets u install and move it to satisfaction,also u can stretch this stuff to form fit.its not hard- but a trick to the trade so to speak.

Thanks...I just want to see if I can do it. I think I will try to install it on my other new car for practice. Also I just love to tinker in the garage (my space).

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also you have to have the right amount of soap to water and you also have an alcohol mix you use to hold the film when you want to stretch it.

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also Just because its 3M doesn't mean it is meant for auto, 3M makes a ton of different vinyl films, you have to make sure you get a paint protection film. The others will not stretch and you will have tons of problems

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...I just want to see if I can do it. I think I will try to install it on my other new car for practice. Also I just love to tinker in the garage (my space).

As an installer I do not recommend doing this without any experience. Its very difficult to do and it has taken me years to get to where I am at now. if you want a nice looking install find a good installer. You are driving a new Viper so I am sure you can afford it. The other thing I see is you mentioned Ebay. The majority of the "film" on Ebay is not paint protection film. It is clear, cheap, vinyl that they are advertising as paint protection film. It is not good for your car and you could run into some paint issues later down the road if you install it. I strongly recommend staying away from the Ebay kits and buy them from a paint protection film dealer. It will cost a little more but it will be actual paint protection film. Clearmask, VentureShield, and Xpel all have authorized installers that will sell you a kit directly.

If you have any questions or would like any info, feel free to PM me. I will be more thna happy to help out a felllow Viper owner.

Thom

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a professional do it. It is not easy to do at all. I did small spots arounf the wheel wells on my Z06 but would not EVER attempt doing a bumper. :nono:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my '08 done by a pro and even he sweated the curves around the hood scoop and first hood vent. Good luck

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go thru so many cars (5 this year alone...it's an incurable disease) that, I figured I should be able to pick up the skill set (I can get lots of practice). I have three different cars that need varying amounts of clear bra work. That way if the material gets messed up (rock hits it hard) I can redo it myself. I usually have a specific guy do all my clear bra work; I just wanted to take a shot at it.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
A number of good video's can be found on youtube. Here was one from a bmw hood/fender install that shows both soap/alcohol use. Professionals sure can make it look easy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fu7XnWfeA[/media]

I need to get my serpent done in select areas in the spring and would love to try a few smaller areas myself.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had it done professionally on my 2008 and then tried doing it myself on some supplemental, out of sight areas (behind the rear wheels on the underside of the car). I did ok on that very flat surface but had a lot of air bubbles which I removed with a small syringe (another trick of the trade -- but be very careful and always pop the bubbles at an angle, almost parallel to the paint surface). Bottom line, for higgh visibility areas (fascia, hood, doors, etc) I would highly recommend going with a pro installer.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go thru so many cars (5 this year alone...it's an incurable disease) that, I figured I should be able to pick up the skill set (I can get lots of practice). I have three different cars that need varying amounts of clear bra work. That way if the material gets messed up (rock hits it hard) I can redo it myself. I usually have a specific guy do all my clear bra work; I just wanted to take a shot at it.

Where are you located? If you are close I will be more than happy to come out and help you out one day. I can give you a few pointers.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, here is a link with some photos from a guy who bought the "cheap clear bra" kits off of Ebay for his Porsche. I think the photos speak for them selves.

IPS Driver Error

Let me know if you cant access the link. I havent figured out how to post photos on here yet...

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, here is a link with some photos from a guy who bought the "cheap clear bra" kits off of Ebay for his Porsche. I think the photos speak for them selves.

IPS Driver Error

Let me know if you cant access the link. I havent figured out how to post photos on here yet...

Thanks...the products I found on eBay are both 3M/Scotchgard products.

Oh and I am neither near Texas or California but thanks for the offer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala