Re: Breaking in brand new Viper ...

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked the other sub-categories of the website for bulletins, etc from the factory ... or experts like Chuck T for breaking in a brand new Viper. Anyone with the best of technical knowledge, please do tell me of where such bulletins may be (or of relevant knowledge).

I have no fax to receive them via fax ... but have all other communication methods. Or here would be great as well.

Thanks much, it is appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone? Maybe I am posting this in the wrong area but as I explained, I cannot find it elsewhere and Chuck even offered me a fax, but I do not want to bother him at random when I can get to a Kinkos or elsewhere.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drive car easy,keep the rps at differant ranges from time to time,never the same rpm for too long of a time,change oil after 500 miles,after 3000 miles,drive it like u stole it.

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have broken in many engines, several of them race motors. The best method many engine builders like is to vary the rpm, dont rev it too high aka 4000-4500, and most importantly, give it plenty of throttle, let me explain this better.

See, when breaking in an engine the piston rings have to seat propery and form a good seal with the cylinder walls. You have a realativly short time period to make that happen before the cylinder walls get glassy smooth and that phase of break-in is over. So when you give the engine full throttle it puts pressure on the piston rings and causes them to expand and seat properly to the cylinder walls. All of this happens in the first 50-100 miles. After that its too late for this to hapen. Once the cylinder walls are glassed over its done.

This doesnt mean the engine would be crap, it just may not be quite as strong as otherwise. ALso the better the ring seal the less oil it will burn in the longrun.

So, to recap....vary the RPM always keeping it below 4500 until around 1k miles. and give it plenty of full throttle short blasts to 4000-4500.

PS: peoples view on this varies as much as politics. ask 10 differnt people and you are likely to get as many different answers.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that you are breaking in the entire car - not just he engine. A visit to the Hawk brakes pads site will helpt you properly bed the brakes in. Hawk Performance: Frequently Asked Questions of Motorsports Brake Pads

I agree that the motor certainly does need some load to break in properly. There's a difference between load and RPM. You don't need to rev the crap out of it but a variety of loads is good.

Also use all the gears - don't just drive around in the bottom 3.

That's my 2 cents....

Rednels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats also good advice, many times we forget that we are also breaking in the entire drive train, not just the engine....

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it comes to the break in procedure No one is as anal as "rcl4668"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper