Slip on header install tips

Slowsupratt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wel. I have some svs style headers with the slip on joints. What tips can you give me on installing them so they don't leak, or any tips in general on header installation.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Putting them together you can heat up the female end so the metal will expand and slip on will be easier. Make sure the tubes are seated all the way in to get the best seal. They shouldn't leak unless you have a clog in the exhaust. I don't know if the SVS are marked on what cylinder, but that will make a whole heck of allot easier. Good luck! I've installed several and not really a bad job. Make sure both wheels are off the ground if you jack up the car.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay there's a big diff between SVS and SVS STYLE headers as far as fit. I'll give you the general quick run down. Use ONLY new factory DODGE header gaskets, if they are'nt SVS you may have a problem, but let's assume they are SVS. Make sure all flange surfaces are smooth and flat. Install each tube finger tight or just slightly loose. Look at the tubes where the collector will slip on. They should all be within the same plane, make sure none of them are hitting the frame or any thing else. A note here, starting with new motor mounts is a very smart idea. Okay if everything looks great, try to carefully slip on the collector. Make sure you have no clearance issues. At this point your likely to have some axial misalignment with the rest of your exhaust. If your anal like me you'll start cutting and welding to get everything perfect (Heliarc comes in real handy for this job).

Chances are your going to need Quick fire oxygen sensors if you've got a later model Gen II. DC Performance has these, you'll also need some heat shielding for the oxygen sensor wires and likely some extenders for the wireing harness on the 02 sensors as well. By the way make sure the car is up in the air SAFELY when your doing all this stuff. You might want high flow cats as well as V-band connectors or some other form of connection for the post header joints.

Oh I almost forgot, the OEM shields won't work for this application, so either you get some ceramic sleeving (budget method) or you spring for some $700 inconel shields. Let's not forget about the plug wires as well, if you are'nt super careful you will smoke some of them as well. If you think you don't need shielding with the SVS headers, price out a new or used heater (blower motor) enclousure. You'll be ordering one shortly thereafter. Good Luck

If you can figure out how to get in my photo gallery, I've got a bunch of various picks going through this procedure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Slowsupratt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They were your headers so shhh....haha...i'm going to be dropping them off to get ceramic coated tomorrow or the day after then they should be going on soon...if all goes as plan.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I know............................. Just remember, I didn't build them ;). They should be fine though. Once they are fitted and bolted into place, there is little chance you'll have a large leak. Because they are slip fit, they will have some "quiefing", but nothing you should notice.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Make sure when they ceramic coat the headers they do it assembled. Otherwise you may have a hard time getting them to fit with the layer of coating on them.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poly motor mounts would go on very east at the same time since the headers will be off. Might be the best time to put em on if you don't already have 'em.

:usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave