Why are dealers flip flopping and BSing on prices?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying my damndest on buying a new 09 Viper Coupe and keep getting a different invoice price that they SUPPOSEDLY will sell the car for (of course always higher) everytime I actually go to make the deal. Is there an honest dealer out there not trying to put their kids thru Harvard? Yes, I am the one who had my Viper stolen recently and trying to get back in the game. I am sick and tired of scams and fine print.

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my '08 at Tomball Dodge a couple of weeks ago. In the current ecomonic situation I actually do have compassion for the dealers. A lot of them are going under and it's not because they stink. Very few cars are being bought.

If you've got cash, show it to them. Let there be no mistake that you are ready to buy. Make your best deal and get the car. There will ALWAYS be the "better" deal. Or buy one from a forum dealer and have it shipped.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought vehicles at invoice, and on the Friends & Family program before...
Dealer always showed me the actual invoice... :dunno:

None of these were Vipers, but that really shouldn't matter....

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying my damndest on buying a new 09 Viper Coupe and keep getting a different invoice price that they SUPPOSEDLY will sell the car for (of course always higher) everytime I actually go to make the deal. Is there an honest dealer out there not trying to put their kids thru Harvard? Yes, I am the one who had my Viper stolen recently and trying to get back in the game. I am sick and tired of scams and fine print.

Been getting the same thing. Add to that, trade in values change depending on which car they're selling...:confused: Suddenly stop responding to emails. Say they'll call right back and never do. And every car I inquire about, even if it's been in the inventory for months, suddenly has three or four other people wanting to buy it at the same time. I've pretty much given up. Reminds me why it's been 10 years since I've purchased a brand new car.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go into your respective dealer, hand them a business card or sheet of paper with your phone number and the absolute top dollar amount you are willing to pay for the car, and tell them to call when THEY are ready to sign and that you will also be looking elsewhere so they better call quick. Then just walk out and don't go back. Wait for the call, it will come. It has worked for me on many occasions, even is a good market atmosphere.
My 2 cents:drive:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just use ebay. Do your research and make a fair offer to a dealer with a good history (read feedback) of delivering cars. No BS necessary.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been getting the same thing. Add to that, trade in values change depending on which car they're selling...:confused: Suddenly stop responding to emails. Say they'll call right back and never do. And every car I inquire about, even if it's been in the inventory for months, suddenly has three or four other people wanting to buy it at the same time. I've pretty much given up. Reminds me why it's been 10 years since I've purchased a brand new car.

You got it, This is so true.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a new car of your dreams should be a pleasant experience.

With many car dealerships it is a frustrating experience.

The bottom line, is that if the dealership is not going to make money on the deal, they will shut it down. Changing a trade in changes all the numbers for them.

Buyers are scarce right now, but a dealership still needs to make a buck.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys that are having a hard time getting a great deal right now have got to be kidding....are you reading the posts on the SRT10 forum?:omg: There are plenty of dealers who have new Vipers at 10 to 15K off MSRP! Call them up....forget about email. Have your credit card ready....

Bill

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator - Tators Dodge
John Gastman - Roanoke Motors

these guys will take care of you...

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a 09 aero vert that sold on ebay yesterday for $78K...an 09:omg:, with no reserve. We'll have to wait and see if it really did sell for that price. Could have been someone just running up the price for the seller.

Last edited:

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is.....everyone wants a free Viper. I am just as amazed as you guys at the way the dealers are bailing water out of their sinking ships in the way of huge chunks taking off the prices of Vipers. Just bite the bullet, buy a Viper at even $10,000.00 off MSRP, you're still getting a great car. Unless you are greedy and waiting for an '08 or '09 to hit $40,000.00, hopefully, that will not happen for quite a few years.

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only three places to go when looking for a new Viper:

Chuck Tator
Woodhouse
Ringgold Dodge

Their reputations speak for themselves!

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck Tator
Woodhouse
Ringgold Dodge

It is a mistake to not put Roanoke at the top of that list. They are not only the original VIPER DEALER...but John Gastman helped get Woodhouse going on vipers. I also believe they are the most honest dealer out there.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't go to Mac Haik, they pissed me off with their rude and careless service department.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I would think the recent rash of some dealers dumping at ridiculous prices has caused the uncertainly. I would also bet that some of those dealers that did the employee buy - which got them a $20k discount and then were turning around and selling these as used Vipers also got called on the carpet by other dealers and Chrysler.

Here's an '09 graphite coupe with 6 miles - sold as used - with a starting price of $69K:

eBay Motors: Dodge : Viper (item 300287213132 end time Jan-22-09 13:08:48 PST)

It's at a dealer close to me if you need any assistance in purchasing it.

While these low prices are great if you're a buyer - it has to hurt current owners - at least for the short term.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck Tator
Woodhouse
Ringgold Dodge

It is a mistake to not put Roanoke at the top of that list. They are not only the original VIPER DEALER...but John Gastman helped get Woodhouse going on vipers. I also believe they are the most honest dealer out there.

viperDoug, That is certainly a very strong endorsement, given the others mentioned. What does Roanoke do that makes them appear to be more honest than the others ? Wouldn't it be great if we all had more choices like these? Maybe the car industry wouldn't be in as bad a shape as it is.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the recent rash of some dealers dumping at ridiculous prices has caused the uncertainly. I would also bet that some of those dealers that did the employee buy - which got them a $20k discount and then were turning around and selling these as used Vipers also got called on the carpet by other dealers and Chrysler.

Here's an '09 graphite coupe with 6 miles - sold as used - with a starting price of $69K:

eBay Motors: Dodge : Viper (item 300287213132 end time Jan-22-09 13:08:48 PST)

It's at a dealer close to me if you need any assistance in purchasing it.

While these low prices are great if you're a buyer - it has to hurt current owners - at least for the short term.

This is the same dealer that sold the 09 aero vert for $78K.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Ben Keating at TomBall ... pm me if you need his cell. He was a real pleasure to do business with - truly. :2tu:

Honest, straight up, no BS, doesn't think he is doing you a favor, doesn't hold you hostage, and if you need mods - his personal mechanic is available (he won the Viper Racing League last year :)

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>

Not everyone would agree.

I have had great experiences with Woodhouse and Tator's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave