hot rod power tour?

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone ever heard of the hot rod power tour? my neighbor is trying to convince me it's the greatest thing ever? we're goin up to dayton to check it out... please let me know.

THANKS

2kviper

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been going on at least a decade. My wife and I did a few legs of it back in '98 when they had east coast and west coast versions, but for a long time they've just had one HUGE version. It's still mostly musclecars, but modded late-model muscle has made up a little more (percentage-wise) as the years progress. We went when I had my '73 big block Duster. Had to wear earplugs due to the 3" exhaust, but it was fun!

mnviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We went on one leg of it last summer. It was a bit chaotic with all the flooding, but well worth it. People were lining the streets of the small towns we went through to watch the cars, kind of a long distance parade. Saw only two other vipers.
This was the morning staging area in Rochester MN:
[media]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2578114104_1536f51463_b.jpg[/media]

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been on two Power Tours. I did the "long haul" in 2004 and went as far as Nashville in 2005. It's a great time and I highly recommend doing it as least once.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone going this year? I'm thinking about it and thought it would be fun to get a few Vipers together.

Would I have to do the whole tour our could I meat in OH and run the last half of the tour? Anyone know?

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say we could find a few more from our group to go too. Sorry to hear about that problem... I really feel for you... ha

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to do this in my dakota. The only way I could take that much time off though would be to turn in the keys to my big rig Volvo truck and get a different truck when I came back a week later. They won't let me park it for 8 days, and I'm not givin up the confort of my volvo and risking being back in another Frieghtliner!

Big Mac

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that if you have never been you should check out at least one stop. I know in years past the cool stuff in the goodie bag was worth the price of admission. It's also very cool to be in the middle of a couple hundred car pack blowing down the interstate with hot rods as far as you can see in front and behind.

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I did the Long Haul in 06 in our Copperhead and we had a blast! There were two Vipers who did the Long Haul, and the cars were loved! It was interesting living out of a Viper for 7-8 days. Overall, we had a blast in the Blue Ridge Mountains with the severe elevation changes and switchbacks. I highly suggest the experience if you like cars and car people.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although it is (well, should say was) largely a GM event in the beginning, look into the Mopowered Tour within the Hot Rod Tour. It was Mopar and Mopar Collectors Guide Magazine last year that teamed up together and crashed the mostly GM event at EVERY STOP!:lmao:

Went over well to from what I read!:D

Contact Mopars Collectors for more details on this years Mopowered Tour with Mopar!:2tu:

Robert

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might do Madison to Warren leg. Are the cars safe at night in Hotel parking lots? Do they have a guard or something or do they count on the sheer number of "car people" to be looking out for each other?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always wondered the same thing.

In fairness, with so many cars around to choose from, I doubt the Vipers would be the highest on the target list but still....:hmmm:

Robert