Another New Member From Westchester

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all

We are from northern Westchester County in NY. Purchased our 2004 SRT-10 Vert in the spring of 2008 (3000mi) and joined the VCA in October but for some reason I Couldn't post in the NY/CT forum until Adrian Byrd worked his magic, thanks again Adrian!

Anyway, we are pretty active in the car hobby during the good weather months, going to cruise nights and shows and look forward to doing some VCA events and meeting some of the local Viper folks.

I did get to meet Chuck last summer at a cruise night in Baldwin place where his viper and ours were the only 2 among the 125+ Cars. That is a nice thing about having a Viper, exclusivity.

Glenn

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glenn, it was my pleasure and looking forward to meeting you and WELCOME to the NY/CT Family :2tu: Adrian

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome Glenn,
I'm in White Plains and normally hit the Thornwood cruise on a Saturday night.

Nick

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome Glenn,
I'm in White Plains and normally hit the Thornwood cruise on a Saturday night. Nick

Nick

Are you referring to the Rose Hill cruise? We used to go there a few years back. We will probably start going there again this year.

Even though it is a trip for a cruise night, You should consider doing the Wednesday night Bear Mountain cruise at least once during the season. There are generally 750 to 1000 cars. Pretty crazy for a cruise night. They do have some quirky rules regarding newer cars but I'll fill you.

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UKViper and Glenn, what/where do you guys think would be a great hang out spot where we could meet on a regular basic just for us who might be sitting around one night and just want to :drive:...Let me know your ideas and THANK YOU in advance...Adrian

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nick

Are you referring to the Rose Hill cruise? We used to go there a few years back. We will probably start going there again this year.

Even though it is a trip for a cruise night, You should consider doing the Wednesday night Bear Mountain cruise at least once during the season. There are generally 750 to 1000 cars. Pretty crazy for a cruise night. They do have some quirky rules regarding newer cars but I'll fill you.

Yeah, the Rose Hill cruise, I saw one black RT/10 there last year, thats it.
I did the Bear Mountain cruise a couple of times with my 64 Riviera last year, its a great cruise, but I have to leave work so early to get there its not practical to go with a car every week..going a bit later to "spectate" is a little simpler.

Nick

Last edited:

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UKViper and Glenn, what/where do you guys think would be a great hang out spot where we could meet on a regular basic just for us who might be sitting around one night and just want to :drive:...Let me know your ideas and THANK YOU in advance...Adrian
I think GPNY (go kart track in Mount Kisco) would be pretty cool, theres plenty of places to eat local, plus you can throw down a challenge and go racing inside.
Theres pretty much a cruise night every night of the week in Westchester/lower Ct, we could always gate crash one of them.

Monday - Stamford Burger King Highridge Rd
Tuesday - Wheels of Time cruise, New Rochelle or the Rt 22 Cafe in Stamford
Wednesday - Rock'n'Rods - Ice Rink in Yonkers
Thursday - Pathmark in Port Chester
Saturday - Thornwood, Rose Hill Shopping Center
Sunday - Moonlight Cruisers, Eastchester

Nick

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Adrian

Are you in Westchester?

Generally we go different cruise night on different week nights and then look to go to a show or other "activity" on weekends.

I've go a few different cars, so there is always one group or another doing something.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think GPNY (go kart track in Mount Kisco) would be pretty cool, theres plenty of places to eat local, plus you can throw down a challenge and go racing inside.
Theres pretty much a cruise night every night of the week in Westchester/lower Ct, we could always gate crash one of them.

Monday - Stamford Burger King Highridge Rd
Tuesday - Wheels of Time cruise, New Rochelle or the Rt 22 Cafe in Stamford
Wednesday - Rock'n'Rods - Ice Rink in Yonkers
Thursday - Pathmark in Port Chester
Saturday - Thornwood, Rose Hill Shopping Center
Sunday - Moonlight Cruisers, Eastchester

Nick

Being from Northern Westchester, I would have said:

Monday Stay Home And Rest
Tuesday Arnolds Drive In Mohegan Lake
Wednesday Bear Mountain
Thursday Chillies Baldwin Place
Friday Teddies Mt Kisco

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glenn, I live on the upper east side in the city.....BUT.....I think once the season start I would love to check out some of these places sounds like fun.....

Glenn/UKViper since you guys know the locations maybe you could help in setting up these hang out cruises :2tu:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should consider doing the Wednesday night Bear Mountain cruise at least once during the season. There are generally 750 to 1000 cars. Pretty crazy for a cruise night. They do have some quirky rules regarding newer cars but I'll fill you.

What quirky rules do they have? Let us know, or PM me if you don't want to broadcast it.

Bob

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What quirky rules do they have? Let us know, or PM me if you don't want to broadcast it.

Bob

No problem posting. The cruise night is officially for 20 year old and older cars, and each car that attends must pay a $2.00 "parking fee" which is collected by the NYS Parks Comission, however if you have a 1990 and newer car you join the promoters car club (Rod Benders) for the season for $35 or $40 they provide you with a pass, which allows your newer car in and don't pay the $2.00 parking fee each time.

On a typical Wednesday I'd say there are 800-850 older cars and about 100 newer cars. In the newer car area, you would typically see Vette's, Mustangs, GTOs, Vipers, Ferrarris, Lambos, etc.

Take a look here: Bear Mountain Cruise Night Parking Diagram

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For many years my work has ******* Wednesday evenings but I went to this some six years ago and don't remember paying anything. Maybe I parked in the Spectator Parking area?

Bob

Bob

6 years ago it WAS different, very different. Then 2 things happened:

1) The show got so big that they were turning lots of older cars away. These people were pissed that newer cars were taking up too much space in a cruise they preceived as for older cars. So they tried 1 year with just older cars, that didn't work at all. For the last three years it has been the current plan of newer car owners paying and parking in the designated "new car area" which keeps their number down.

2) The NY State Parks Comission saw how sucessful the cruise was and like every other single government agency saw a revenue opportunity. The offical reason for the $2.00 per car parking fee is to cover the additional operating, security and maintenance costs, which IMHO they were already covering nicely with the parking fee received from the hundreds of spectator cars.

I also just don't understand why there has to be new car guys, old car guys, Chevy guys, Ford guys, Vette guys, Viper guys, Etc Etc. Why can't we just be Car Guys and all get along?

Last edited:

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do they make the newer bikes pay $40? maybe we should make this a car v bike guy thing instead :D

Its deffinately worth taking a drive up to, plus the roads around there are great, spectacular views, especially in Spring/Autumn.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also just don't understand why there has to be new car guys, old car guys, Chevy guys, Ford guys, Vette guys, Viper guys, Etc Etc. Why can't we just be Car Guys and all get along?

If we did all get along we wouldn't be able to ridicule other car owners in order to convince ourselves that we made the right decision to spend a HUGE amount of money on our Vipers. Fifteen years ago I owned a 70's era Corvette and now I own a Viper, but I'd kinda like to see that vette sitting in the garage again (alongside the Viper, of course).

Thanks for the update on Bear Mountain.

Bob

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do they make the newer bikes pay $40? maybe we should make this a car v bike guy thing instead :D

Its deffinately worth taking a drive up to, plus the roads around there are great, spectacular views, especially in Spring/Autumn.

HeHe Yes. I think they make ALL the bikes pay the $2.00 deal. The newer cars have the space the bikes used to have, so the bike guys really got screwed, there are hundreds and hundreds of bikes jammed into the small area near the Carousel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4