Viper vs. Z06 1/4 mile time question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the Z06 guys in South florida are a bunch of idiots! because I haven't seen any "STOCK" Z06 run in the tens. I will give you some slack because there are so much variables not only conditions but the track it's self. I had a ProMod 70 Chrager with a 636 ci alky injected Hemi with a lenco trans that ran 7.09's @200 mph At moroso in West Palm Beach, when I took it to an NHRA prep track Gainesville like Englishtown I ran a best of 6.78 @ 203 mph in almost the same weather conditions. That's three tens and 3 mph my friend just on a better track. I could never leave at 7000 rpm without blowing the tires off in Moroso. my short time in Gainsville was .98 while at Moroso was 1.05 and if you know anything about drag racing those 60 foot times affect your et more than any other indicator! That said, my Gen 3 I ran real bone stock as a baseline and ran a best 12.06 @ 120 mph (moroso) then I put a K&N flash the computer installed a comp coupe exhaust, no cats and stock manifolds and ran a best of 11.85 @ 125 And here's the wammy I swapped out the rear for 3.55's and ran a best of 11.38 @ 129 in a "SLOW GEN THREE CAR" I could have told everybody without a clue the car was bone stock and they would have eaten that, beacause all those times were with run crap tires!(STOCK) my car looks like it came off the show room floor! And BTW all those times I provided are verified weather conditions are plus and minus of 1% down to the track surface temps. To make sure I give you no bogus times, as the times flux was as much as 3.5 tenths and 4 mph depending on track condtions. I bet on a good day I can run high tens if I were to swap to a 4.10 or 4.30 gear and more fine tuning and then since my car looks stock I will tell every one that a stock Gen three is faster than a Gen 4 But of coarse that would be B.S. as we already know!
Kenny dont know anything about where you race but flat out i will put money on the fact that Evan Smith or Jamie Furman can EASILY put a bone stock Z06 with stock tires into the mid 11s. AT AN NHRA approved DRAG STRIP.The above was accomplished YEARS AGO (pick up a copy of SUPER CHEVY MAG )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie that is proof to me that at a ridiculously low temperature at a near sea level track with an excellent driver a Z can just barely crack the 10 second range (by 0.019 second). Any other place it would not. In other words it is not a 10 second car. At a local dragstrip, in summer temps it would be running mid 11's with good drivers and low 12's with normal drivers. That is the primary reason people argue against the statements that a Z06 is a 10 second car. Because at any higher altitude tracks in the summer none come close to 10 seconds unless they are modified or running slicks.

At 39 degrees my car is parked for the winter and damn sure not out at a race track. I do not care how fast it is under those unusual conditions.
Not true when a person sets a NHRA record there is NO STIPULATION for track (as long as its an NHRA Approved )or temp.Evan Smith has quite a few published records for stock tires stock production cars and there are no astericks stating where they were accomplished or at what temps they were run at.Alot of times in the really cold weather on stock ires its HARDER to hook up ect.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS a like comparasion would be an NFL Placekicker kicking a 70 yard field goal in Denver where the air is thin.If the kick is GOOD its good and a new record is established no matter where it happens.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not true when a person sets a NHRA record there is NO STIPULATION for track (as long as its an NHRA Approved )or temp.Evan Smith has quite a few published records for stock tires stock production cars and there are no astericks stating where they were accomplished or at what temps they were run at.Alot of times in the really cold weather on stock ires its HARDER to hook up ect.
Record yes. Comparison to how someone might run in a normal condition no. And for the tires I have seen how tire warmers are used (in addition to burnouts) to compensate for the tire temperature. Most people want to know how the cars perform in real world conditions, not -500 ft altitude conditions that happen a few times a year in a few locations. Quoting the best of the best under optimal conditions for one make and mild conditions for another is not a fair comparison. Same day, same track, same driver comparisons at a more reasonable set of conditions is much more informative. But you blew off MY600HP's info when it did just that.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '06 coupe went 12.0 @ 119 (2.1 60') when it was 100% stock, down to the stock tires.

My '09 Z06 went 11.5 @ 125 (2.1 60') completely stock.

Both cars were only drag raced one time when stock, so those were my baseline runs for each. The C6Z is much quicker than a pre-08 Viper, given equal driver skill. 119 mph vs 125 mph trap speeds spell an ass-whipping from a roll race on the highway.

2008+ Vipers are a good match for the C6 Z06. If anyone has a stock '08, I'd be happy to attend a track rental and we can line them up with my C6Z to get some more actual results. Same day, same track. None of this poser magazine racing nonsense. People who quote magazine times just highlight themselves as bench racing posers.

By the way, I shoot and write for a few automotive magazines, and I don't even quote magazine times as fact.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read above a post by MY600HP. He did just that and I have trust in his results.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Record yes. Comparison to how someone might run in a normal condition no. And for the tires I have seen how tire warmers are used (in addition to burnouts) to compensate for the tire temperature. Most people want to know how the cars perform in real world conditions, not -500 ft altitude conditions that happen a few times a year in a few locations. Quoting the best of the best under optimal conditions for one make and mild conditions for another is not a fair comparison. Same day, same track, same driver comparisons at a more reasonable set of conditions is much more informative. But you blew off MY600HP's info when it did just that.
The [problem is there is ABSOLUTELY no way to standardize to compare for NORMAL CONDITIONS .Its no only track location and air temp but air quality ,track prep (amount of VHT ect )head or tail wind ,engine operating temp ect ect ect.I can only report what i have ACTUALLY seen in 15 plus years of racing Vipers and or being associated with the magazines .Too many people are giving factual statements on things that are entirely inaccurate.When their statements are PROVEN inaccurate excuses are made We started at its impossible for a stock Z06 with stock tires to run 10s. From there we progressed to maybe they can but GM supplys the mags with ringers and now were using track location and and temp. Same track, same air quality, same driver my 08 Roadster is one tenth faster than a Z06 thats it.Both cars are capable of 10-low 11 second et(bone stock ,stock tires) at a fast track in the hands of an expert level driver

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can't. Once again...you need to read. Also try not being so transparent in your love of the corvette. I am amazed at the corvette lovers that come onto this site and try to stir things up. Does anyone from here go to the corvette website and do that? I don't think so.

Think again hoss there are plenty of Viper trolls there as well...

Viper ACR > ZR1 dyno - Corvette Forum

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '06 coupe went 12.0 @ 119 (2.1 60') when it was 100% stock, down to the stock tires.

My '09 Z06 went 11.5 @ 125 (2.1 60') completely stock.

Both cars were only drag raced one time when stock, so those were my baseline runs for each. The C6Z is much quicker than a pre-08 Viper, given equal driver skill. 119 mph vs 125 mph trap speeds spell an ass-whipping from a roll race on the highway.

2008+ Vipers are a good match for the C6 Z06. If anyone has a stock '08, I'd be happy to attend a track rental and we can line them up with my C6Z to get some more actual results. Same day, same track. None of this poser magazine racing nonsense. People who quote magazine times just highlight themselves as bench racing posers.

By the way, I shoot and write for a few automotive magazines, and I don't even quote magazine times as fact.
Happy new year NINE .LOL dont you know its IMPOSSIBLE for a stock Z06 to run mid 11s .My brothers, friends, sisters boyfriend has an uncle who works for GM that told me all those mag cars are ringers You dont have one of those ringers do you.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read above a post by MY600HP. He did just that and I have trust in his results.
No offence but you have trust in his results because your not experianced enough to know EXACTLY what either car is truely capable of at a fast track with a great driver .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still cant believe that after all these years and countless low to mid 11 second, documented runs by the C6Z06 that there are still some people that think its a 12 second car lmao. And yes the C6 Z06 has run 10's bone stock as 1Bad posted. Right track, right altitude, right driver made it possible. Its not the norm by any means but it has been done. Average drivers at good tracks are getting mid 11's. Once you start approaching 130mph in the 1/4 you have a 10sec "capable" car. All you need is the right conditions, track, driver and kill the 60'. Both Viper and Z06 have done 126mph or better in the 1/4 in the right hands. The Z06 has the weight and gearing advantage to offset its power deficit so its a bit easier it seems to squeeze that last 10th to hit the 10's. That being said Jamie got his ACR to do 11.0 @ 130mph despite the weight and gearing disadvantage comparatively. Thats easily a 10 sec "capable" car just needing the right circumstances to hit it just like the Z06. More to 1/4 mile-ing than just power or name brand of the car :rolleyes:

Ive seen 08 Vipers drivers say they ran 12's but we all know its a high 10, low 11 "capable" car as proven by the same driver that did the 10's in his bonestock Z06. Some of ya really need to let go of the bias geez.
Bite you have a PM

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offence but you have trust in his results because your not experianced enough to know EXACTLY what either car is truely capable of at a fast track with a great driver .
You miss the point. I don't give a rats ass what it does on a fast track with a great driver. I care what it could do here, for me in comparisoin to another car in the same place. What it does on the moon with Martian atmosphere is irrevelent.

For comparison say I have 2 500 hp cars that at a track in Maryland perform exactly equal in the 1/4 mile. But I move to Denver. Are they still equal? I will add that one is naturally aspirated and one is turbocharged. If you do not know the answer to this then you are the one that does not know ****. Location means one hell of a lot.

And how the hell do you know how experienced I am?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You miss the point. I don't give a rats ass what it does on a fast track with a great driver. I care what it could do here, for me in comparisoin to another car in the same place. What it does on the moon with Martian atmosphere is irrevelent.

For comparison say I have 2 500 hp cars that at a track in Maryland perform exactly equal in the 1/4 mile. But I move to Denver. Are they still equal? I will add that one is naturally aspirated and one is turbocharged. If you do not know the answer to this then you are the one that does not know ****. Location means one hell of a lot.

And how the hell do you know how experienced I am?
Create a new thread topic then in relation to ET at YOUR particular TRACK as thats NOT the topic here.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was the first question:

"Why/how can a stock (engine, tires, everything) Z06 Corvette run a quarter mile in the 10s, and it takes a supercharged Viper to get into the 10s? Why is the Z06 so much quicker in the quarter mile?"

Now consider that he is referencing one of the 2 people on one occasion each that have achieved a 10 second run in a Z06 (probably via internet forum knowledge, which we know is applied to all Z06's in all locations). Where do you think the supercharged Viper is that he is referencing? Same track, same driver. I doubt it. Did you ever ask where he was before providing all the Z06 info. Of course not. Just regurgitating the same 10 sec runs over and over. The reason I keep mentioning same track, same driver, same day is because it is more important than the car itself.

As to your last statement nowhere in his question did he say that he was interested in YOUR track. BTW I do not own any track.

OP
OP
J

JTOJR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should have said that a few Z06s have been in the 10s. I did read after I posted this that Jamie Furman has an ACR that he put in the low 11s first time out & he has not driven a viper in 3 years. He will have it in the 10s next time out. I do own both cars along with others. Sorry I have not posted a vin. Mark from Woodhouse can confirm that as he done a little work on my Viper on his Christmas vacation. My vette was also in my shop at the time. I did not mean to start a war. I have my answer. Thanks 1BADGTS

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answer the fastest times recorded for a STOCK Z06 and a STOCK Gen 4 Viper are those by Jamie Furman who OWNS and races both cars with the Vette at this point in time being faster and infact running 10 second times bone stock .Jamie attributes this to the Corvette being easyier to hook up. The entire topic got sidetracked when people began to contest the validity of a bone stock, stock tired Z06 running 10s even though this ET was established YEARS AGO.The reason why he referenced a supercharged Viper is because at this point in time no stock Viper on stock tires has ever run a 10second ET while the Z06 has.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
because the Z06 is lighter, and can carry full power for another 1000 rpm(7k redline) before it has to shift to the next gear. Simple as that.

This was the first question:

"Why/how can a stock (engine, tires, everything) Z06 Corvette run a quarter mile in the 10s, and it takes a supercharged Viper to get into the 10s? Why is the Z06 so much quicker in the quarter mile?"

Now consider that he is referencing one of the 2 people on one occasion each that have achieved a 10 second run in a Z06 (probably via internet forum knowledge, which we know is applied to all Z06's in all locations). Where do you think the supercharged Viper is that he is referencing? Same track, same driver. I doubt it. Did you ever ask where he was before providing all the Z06 info. Of course not. Just regurgitating the same 10 sec runs over and over. The reason I keep mentioning same track, same driver, same day is because it is more important than the car itself.

As to your last statement nowhere in his question did he say that he was interested in YOUR track. BTW I do not own any track.

GR8 I am the only one to ever go 10's on the runflats in a Z06 and yes it was only 1 run, but many bonestock Z06's have gone 10's many times with just drag radials and nothing more and my car has run many 11.0's on the runflats as well. My car has made at least 20 10 second runs at the track, and has never run worse than an 11.45 at 125mph in the worst weather I have ever run in last august. On the same day at the same track with the same driver, my Z06 was able to leave a little better then my Viper and ran 11.1 and my ACR couldn't hook up and ran a best of 11.4. So on that particular day the Z06 was the fastest car on the track. When you say average should we average our best runs or worst runs to determine what the cars average is?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have said that a few Z06s have been in the 10s. I did read after I posted this that Jamie Furman has an ACR that he put in the low 11s first time out & he has not driven a viper in 3 years. He will have it in the 10s next time out. I do own both cars along with others. Sorry I have not posted a vin. Mark from Woodhouse can confirm that as he done a little work on my Viper on his Christmas vacation. My vette was also in my shop at the time. I did not mean to start a war. I have my answer. Thanks 1BADGTS
No problem the thread started to get out of hand when people disputed the validity of a stock Z06 running 10s .Jamie (Furman )and i have been friends and inturn race together for years (as soon as you initially said Z06 in the 10s i figured you were referring to him) With a little more seat time in his ACR he should be the first to get a Viper (bone stock ) in the 10s(HES A great driver FLAT OUT ONE OF THE BEST THERE IS ON STOCK RADIAL TIRES).This spring hopefully i will pick up an Acr also and have Smitty (Evan Smith )try to do the same before the weather gets warm at E-TOWN.Last year he ran my old 08 Roadster a few times and posted an 11.3 at almost 130 mph in fair weather which other than Jamies is the quickest time recorded for a stock,stock tired Viper

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8 I am the only one to ever go 10's on the runflats in a Z06 and yes it was only 1 run, but many bonestock Z06's have gone 10's many times with just drag radials and nothing more and my car has run many 11.0's on the runflats as well. My car has made at least 20 10 second runs at the track, and has never run worse than an 11.45 at 125mph in the worst weather I have ever run in last august. On the same day at the same track with the same driver, my Z06 was able to leave a little better then my Viper and ran 11.1 and my ACR couldn't hook up and ran a best of 11.4. So on that particular day the Z06 was the fastest car on the track. When you say average should we average our best runs or worst runs to determine what the cars average is?
Whats up buddy .Said it once i will say it again, you or Smith could miss a gear and still break into the 11s in the current gen Z06

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie LOL you dont have one of those ringer Z06s CHEVY GAVE THE MAGS DO YOU?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up buddy .Said it once i will say it again, you or Smith could miss a gear and still break into the 11s in the current gen Z06

Whats up Joe? Actually the day I ran the 10.98 I knew it was going to be a good day because I missed 2nd the first run and pulled it back in 2nd fast and continued the run and ran an 11.34 and I thought to myself then, man I missed a gear and still ran an 11.30, today I am going 10's! Here are the times of the next 4 passes after the missed gear, I made in this order 11.15, 11.08, 11.01 and 10.98. I think the Z06 is right there with the ZR1 and Viper on a dragstrip and is probably a little easier to drive than either of the 2 and would win 3 out of 4 races against either of those cars IMO.

OP
OP
J

JTOJR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like I said, the C-6 Z-06 is quicker than a stock '06 Viper. Both cars with average drivers are 12 sec cars. Most of these great passes are on the East coast. So I'm not sure what the argument is about? You simply can't tell me that a pass at Englishtown is the same as a pass at California Speedway. Additionally how many years and how many Z-06's did it take to refine these results. Because a couple of great drivers are able to post these times on a given day with the stars aligned perfectly doesn't make the Z-06 a 10 sec car. It makes them the greatest drivers. My whole point here was that a guy is claiming to have both cars, one heavily modded with sticky tires (Viper)and somehow believes that because the mags say the Z-06 is quicker, it must be.

I should have said people that have done it instead of Mags. I guess if you keep on running down the magazine articles it will take away from facts. I am not claiming to have both, I do have both. I said if you could read that I did not understand because my Viper is so much faster as it should be. Why do some of you act as if I am running down Vipers? If I could only have one, it would be the Viper.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up Joe? Actually the day I ran the 10.98 I knew it was going to be a good day because I missed 2nd the first run and pulled it back in 2nd fast and continued the run and ran an 11.34 and I thought to myself then, man I missed a gear and still ran an 11.30, today I am going 10's! Here are the times of the next 4 passes after the missed gear, I made in this order 11.15, 11.08, 11.01 and 10.98. I think the Z06 is right there with the ZR1 and Viper on a dragstrip and is probably a little easier to drive than either of the 2 and would win 3 out of 4 races against either of those cars IMO.
Totally believe it as the day Evan tested that 07 it was close to 100 out running into a 12 plus gusting headwind and he pulled multiple mid 11s and i KNOW for a fact your better than him in that car.These threads go haywire because a people comment (DISPUTE )facts that were PROVEN years ago.What it boils down to is the same fact that we have talked about for years.These cars today are so damn close performance wise (whether the Vette haters LIKE IT OR NOT )it all comes down to the driver.Many times this year i have offered a challenge to them(Ted Ritted in particular ) in which i will provide them with a GEN 4 Viper to race against you or Smitty heads up driving a current gen Z06 AT E Town or Maryland.If they win i will pay for their entire trip .If they lose they pay.So far alot of talk but not one taker.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally believe it as the day Evan tested that 07 it was close to 100 out running into a 12 plus gusting headwind and he pulled multiple mid 11s and i KNOW for a fact your better than him in that car.These threads go haywire because a people comment (DISPUTE )facts that were PROVEN years ago.What it boils down to is the same fact that we have talked about for years.These cars today are so damn close performance wise (whether the Vette haters LIKE IT OR NOT )it all comes down to the driver.Many times this year i have offered a challenge to them(Ted Ritted in particular ) in which i will provide them with a GEN 4 Viper to race against you or Smitty heads up driving a current gen Z06 AT E Town or Maryland.If they win i will pay for their entire trip .If they lose they pay.So far alot of talk but not one taker.

I don't know who any of these FAMOUS people whose names you keep dropping are, but I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of reading them in every second post.:confused:

Enough is enough already.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The possibility is there that maybe you were getting a polite ribbing, or maybe he was being condescending.:dunno:
I think what you'll get out of everyone here is that no one has seen a stock Z06 get into the tens. The difference between 10's and 11's is HUGE!
I offer this humbly as I've personally never heard of or seen a stock Z06 get anywhere close to the 10's. There are a lot of Z06 owners here who'll agree.
I've been given a couple of what I've considered rude comebacks on here, but be sure most people here love to help.
SeE the problems happen when FALSE statements (like the above) for example ARE MADE BY PEOPLE NOT QUALIFYED TO MAKE THEM.The name dropping of famous people (is it name dropping if its a close personal friend) happens to contradict THE FALSE STATEMENTS.Know you know for a FACT that MANY Z06 have run low 11s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger