Official Exhaust Clip Thread!!!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay,,but is there ANYONE who has only replaced the cats to hi-flow and left everything else stock. For now, that is all I am considering, but only if it gives a little more sound...I think my 98 RT10 is too quiet.

Thanks.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would be unusual to only replace the Cats. Stock exhaust for 8L is only 2.5". Replacing the entire exhaust is a good uprade and greatly improves the sound, cabin heat and performance. Most Hiflow cats are 3" although there are certainly some small engine 2.5" hi-flow cats.

Seems 'mickey mounse" to only replace the stock cats. Decent cats could be purchased and adapted up to 3" and then back down to 2.5", but as that isn't exactly optimum for performance very few people would cahnge one part of a stock exhaust system. At the least almost everyone (ever ricers) change to Catback as those systems advertise the big hp difference. Probably not much difference for $300 (plus labor) just to change Cats and reduce some cabin heat.

Ted

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay,,but is there ANYONE who has only replaced the cats to hi-flow and left everything else stock.

sorry, no sound clip, but that is how i started, it definitely did sound better, but still tame.

For now, that is all I am considering, but only if it gives a little more sound...I think my 98 RT10 is too quiet.

for now is right, that is where i was planning on stopping too. if you are after a much better sound, you will need more than just hi-flows.

the next step i did was a rear muffler delete (w/x-pipe) sounds great, but is too loud if you like the gentle stock tone at all. the exhaust note is always there, i like it, the wife doesn't (from the passenger seat)

i think all other cat backs with hi-flows will be at least as loud and mostly louder

try to listen to someone else's, from the driver's seat to find what you like

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the comments, but in my house there are a number of priorities way ahead of the Viper. So, that is the reason the car is bone stock other then smooth tubes and hi-flow air filters. As I am now retired (and can enjoy playing with the Viper), the demands on money are different than when I was in marketing. Thank goodness my wife is a successful consultant, but this year was difficult for us as it was for most everyone... Hence, priorities....priorities!

So, for me, I need to start small and "slowly" work my way up...not sure to what, but my intent has always been to do catback...and though it costs more to do things in pieces/stages, it also allows for cost containment and fitting within one's budget.

So, if I pass you on the road and you go "gee, didn't seem very loud...think it was a Viper"...yup, that's me!:lmao:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but in my house there are a number of priorities way ahead of the Viper., the demands on money are different than when I was in marketing. , but this year was difficult for us as it was for most everyone... Hence, priorities....priorities!

So, for me, I need to start small and "slowly" work my way up""

==============================================================
Gee, I hate it when that happens.

If you plan on doing Catback you'll wan the 3" Hi-flows. Roe Racing has many different types (metal/ceramic) that work good on Vipers. He's tested them all on his dyno.

Some of your reasons are why I bought my Vipers used and previously modified. Previous owner spent more on modifications for my car than he spent buying it new. And ... I've spent another nearly $20K adding HIDs, 14"brakes, Blue tooth, scoop/spoiler, clutch, axles, etc. Only paid an extra $10K above stock value for all the mods done to car when I bought it.

Good luck

Ted

Last edited:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but in my house there are a number of priorities way ahead of the Viper. So, that is the reason the car is bone stock other then smooth tubes and hi-flow air filters.

So, for me, I need to start small and "slowly" work my way up...not sure to what, but my intent has always been to do catback...and though it costs more to do things in pieces/stages, it also allows for cost containment and fitting within one's budget.

i know where you are coming from, your path sounds like mine

did you ever have problem with cabin heat? the reason i went hi-flow was to reduce heat, the sound was a plus. then i liked the sound improvement, so i did the rear **** delete.

if the heat doesn't bother you, and you just want sound improvement, the best bang for the buck sound improvement is a rear muffler delete only.

i would still add x-pipe to blend the sound, but replacing the rear **** with straight pipe and use stock tips can be and has been done for $50-75 retail, if you can do it yourself, even less

maybe a good 1st step

keep us posted

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you....well, Ted, I felt that a modded Viper might...and, I only say might, be beat on because of all the mods. So, in my (infinite) wisdom, I went for a bone stock with the lowest mileage, figuring I could do stuff as I wanted along the way and I would know the car wasn't beat on.

Okay, maybe my logic was a bit flawed, but oh well....this is where I am today. So, mods are a function of how well my wife's business does coupled with how in love she is with me on a particular day:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted if and should I do any of these things.

But......thanks again.:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine has been supercharged since '02. A couple thousand miles to break it in and then add supercharger. Faulty TNT rockers caused a new Macedo built 9-1 forged piston engine and 10 psi boost about 10,000 miles. Now I've got 50,000miles. Billet VR1 wheels lightweight 14" brakes, Bluetooth, GPS, Titanium axles and so on...

When I flew to Ohio and looked at the car it was immaculate, except for the Blue colored brake rotors. The previous owner said it was for "Saturday night blasts" and had gone mid tens, won V10 Nats and trophy awards. Car was definitely "beat on" and a new clutch has been installed the night before. Car was extremely well taken care of however.

My 440 Duster and 1 of my Stealth TTs beats stock Vipers very easily. But ... I've been building street and strip cars ever since I was 18 and bought my first welder.

Car mods depending on wife's bus and love? Ouch.

Ted

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and as my wife says many times..."A happy wife is a happy life"...though, what can I say, she is the one who bought me my Viper for my birthday....so, in my book, she's the best...even without the Viper, she's the best!:2tu:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK here's the video that sold me on MY CAR :)

YouTube - 2000 viper

To be honest I have not had the side sills off the car yet so I'm not sure if the cats are still there, but the car dose have a Bellenger rear exhaust box. The headers are standard (at the moment), and I would like some advice on how to improve the numbers.
Last year I had the car on the dyno, I have the metal droop scoop tubes and K&N Cone air filters, and the car has had an updated pcm (what ever that is)? Here's the dyno sheets :)

You must be registered for see images

I don't have the funds for a Roe or Paxton, so looking to make smaller mods over time, any advice gratefully received

Mark
:uk:

Last edited:

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
On the important wife front, I have two adages:

1. "The General's wife is the General's General."
2. Pecking order in firm or company: general partner, then general partner's wife, then junior partner, then junior partner's wife . . .

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cheapest mod for a Viper is to just replace the cats and resonators with a piece of exhaust pipe...you can call that step one...step two, do the same thing with the mufflers or put some bullets in...

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the "General" comment....personally, I think the pecking order (behind the scenes) is 1) General's Wife, 2) General, 3)everyone else....

For me, a "Super wife means a super life" and so that is where I am....took me years to find the right person, but now that I am with her, everyone else pales in comparison!

So, my pecking order (for mods that is) is 1) hi-flow cats, 2) cat-back system (fingers crossed):eater:, factory style rear wing, after market hardtop with scoop (little chance):nono:, Roe SC (no chance unless I win the lotto) :lmao::lmao::lmao:...and I really love the black wheels with the red outside stripe (double no chance):crazy2::omg::crazy2:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice is to talk with Jon B at Parts Rack and tell him what you want it to sound like and he will set you up. His advise fit exactly what I wanted.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks George!

And, Ted, since I had never owned a Viper before, I just wasn't familiar enough with what people do to their Vipers...I only joined the club after buying the car, so I wasn't as informed. Maybe if I had read alot of the posts, I might have purchased something with mods already done, or purchased from a member of VCA.

But, its already done and I am happy with my car....maybe if I am lucky, I will be able to do some of the things to the car that would make it more to my liking.

Thanks.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 ACR- Roe Sc- 8.5 lb, No Cats, Belanger Headers, Randomtech Exhaust.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MRa7tkxhT0[/media]

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks George!

And, Ted, since I had never owned a Viper before, I just wasn't familiar enough with what people do to their Vipers...I only joined the club after buying the car, so I wasn't as informed. Maybe if I had read alot of the posts, I might have purchased something with mods already done, or purchased from a member of VCA.

But, its already done and I am happy with my car....maybe if I am lucky, I will be able to do some of the things to the car that would make it more to my liking.

Thanks.

I hope I didn't sound insulting, but I was explaining how I do things most of the time. I was also lucky. I also drove 9-12 sec. Prostreet cars all my life so a stock 12 sec Viper was not impressive. An $8,000 Roe supercharger kit that could take a DR and otherwise stock Viper to low 11s, that is impressive.

If you havn't been driving extremely fasxt cars all you life dooing the mods on your car kind of allows you to develop the driving skills required to stay alive. Too big a step in hp can cause snake bite. In that case slowly doing the mods is the BEST idea. It also allows you to learn as you go along and gives you that all important experience.
Ted

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, just for the record, I used to road race my 69 Corvette which was pretty much a track only car. But, I agree with making too much of a jump...that was years ago and now I prefer cruising....so making mods slowly seems to be best for me.

Thanks, and I really do like your car...almost wish I bought a similar one.:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, just for the record, I used to road race my 69 Corvette which was pretty much a track only car. But, I agree with making too much of a jump...that was years ago and now I prefer cruising....so making mods slowly seems to be best for me.

Thanks, and I really do like your car...almost wish I bought a similar one.:2tu:

Thanks. PM me if I can be of help. I can do pics (brakes, seat track,etc.) and send them if you need them for your mods - doing them yourself?

Ted

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now that winter showers are well and truly upon us over here in the UK, I decided to take off my side sills for a look to see what lurks behind! Found this :)

Now im guessing these are the original Cats?

As I said earlier in the thread I have the Belanger Cat Back system, I measured the Belanger pipes with some Vernier calipers and they are almost 3" in Diameter :2tu: As you can see in the above pic there is a smaller joining pipe which attaches to the stock Cat.

Here's another shot showing the complete side system.

Now my question is this, Should I now Complete the system by getting the Belanger Headers and remove the cats? Or get the smaller Belanger Cats also?

Any advice out there please :dunno:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a straight up cost issue

cost no object: Headers and remove the cats (or hiflows, i'd do the hi flows for the stink factor)

cost an object: hiflows

either way, lose the stock cats

my 2 cents

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eucharistos said it all. I have TNT headers on my car as my Belanger headers are hanging on my wall for sale.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sent you a PM, but ... I bought the Belangers for my Red 98 Supercharged GTS, ... which we crashed :(

This GTS came with TNT 1 3/4" headers and although I was going to put the 5>2>1 Belangers on my car ... it's too much work and the TNTs are fine.

Ted

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, to follow up on an exhaust discussion in a different thread (and not start another - redundant - exhaust thread), it was suggested that I do a muffler delete on my '98 RT ...remainder is stock.

I checked out this exhaust thread for a comparison of sound - stock vs muffler delete - but didn't find anything. I did find this statement from Ted that worries me a bit:

You won't like the sound.

Corsa and Borla use sound cancelling technology to eliminate the lousy part of the exhaust noise with zero restriction. Looking inside the Corsa muffler you can see straight through it with no restrictions and only a few slotted, small ovals are seen inside the muffler. These ovals allow the sound cancellation technology to change the sound to better, more comfortable frequencies and eliminate the drone produced at 2000rpm. Dynomax works off of a simpler but somewhat similar principal. You get what you pay for.

Ted

If this is true, then the sound just for changing to muffler delete would be louder but not appealing compared to any of the cat-back exhausts.

Can anyone provide a comparison video of stock w/mufflers to muffler delete?:dunno:

Thanks much.:2tu: