Owners of 08s with 3.55 Gears Report

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking about putting 3.55s or 3.73s in my 08 SSG. For you guys that have had it done, what are your thoughts on the swap? Is it worth the dough?

Thanks,

Flash

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't own one of those cars, and I haven't done the swap , but my feeling has alwas been to replace the 5th and 6th gear ratios with something more useable. As it stands today, the stock gears are great for 1 - 4, but once you get into 5th or 6th they're useless. Rather than swap the diff gears, I'd look into a way to swap out the two top gears. That would make this a true world-class racer. There are better gear ratios out there that will fit, and they're plenty strong.

I consider my car a 4-speed at this point. A while back, there was a rather infamous guy (smart guy, but lacking in common sense (DW)) who had some setups that showed promise. His ideas were good, but his delivery was poor...

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had 3.55s installed in mine but haven't had a chance to try it out. Snow..snow...and more snow.

6 speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.55s installed by UNITRAX in Anaheim recently and am real happy with them. I was leaning towards the 3.33s, but glad I went with the 3.55s. The car pulls harder in 3rd and 4th. 5th is totally usable and even 6th is okay above 75, but I still don't find myself using it much.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flash, I had them in my 06 coupe and they were great on the street. Feels/pulls like another 40-50 hp.

With my 08 I'm going w/3.33's. I know you tracked your 06. The 3.55's are not the best at Willow, I have to shift to 5th going into 8, down shift before 9 and have to go back into 5th between the pit exit and starter on the front straight. Wasting too much time shifting.

For street only the 3.55's are great, tracking their too tall.

Unitrax in Anaheim will do the '08's for around $850 for the 3.55's, $950. for the 3.33's

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For many years I have said here, and written several VCA NOTES articles that suggest rear-gears are the BEST performance bang 4 buck you can do to your OE Viper. The 'federalized' OE rear gear ratio awards you with lame-lame 5th - 6th, and a too-tall 1-2.

I have driven an 08 w 3:73...I thought it was too much gear. But 3:73 was perfect for my 400HP Gen 1s.

Like Goldilocks, the 3:55 is JUST RIGHT for Gen 2-4. It gives you a fully usefull trans, and much quicker acceleration (and BRAKING) for 10% of the cost of a blower...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so sure the rear gear is as beneficial with the new 600 hp motors.

Got a chance to ride with Dan in his new ACR driving in the mountains around SoCal yesterday during a regional cruise (30+ cars.)

The new engines pull much harder once they get up into the revs, and felt a bit softer down low. (Maybe that is just in comparison with the increased thrust up high)

You could almost adjust the amount of thrust available by choosing your rpm range. It felt to me like the bigger gearsets could help down low, but might be a liability higher up.

The long legged nature of the 09 felt more natural than in earlier cars. The ability to loaf at lower revs, but get jiggy with it at higher revs was a pretty cool feature.

This is coming from a guy that always ran 3:54's in previous Vipers.

Think on a road course the stock gear would be the way to go. Believe bigger gears might be more fun, but I doubt it would be faster.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 3.33 Quaiffe in my 08 and have been happy. Keep in mind the redline change with gen. III and gen. IV, 6000 rpm vs 6250rpm. If you add the mopar controller to Gen IV 6500rpm. Interesting thing is that a Gen. III with stock 3.07 has the same redline points as a Gen. IV with mopar controller and 3.33 gears ( 1st 59mph, 2nd 87mph, 3rd 121mph, 4th 158mph). First gear in the gen IV requires thottle modulation with or without gears, so not much difference in 1st, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th pull much harder. Also note 6th gear rpm 1400 @ 74 mph with 3.07 vs. 1520 with 3.33 vs. 1625 with 3.55. I just added mopar controller and am waiting for bellanger headers to arrive next week. If I was staying stock I think I would have went with 3.55.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my feeling has alwas been to replace the 5th and 6th gear ratios with something more useable. As it stands today, the stock gears are great for 1 - 4, but once you get into 5th or 6th they're useless. Rather than swap the diff gears, I'd look into a way to swap out the two top gears . . .
I think you need both - but then I have never driven a 600+ hp 08-09. With my Gen II height rear tires, 3.55 rear ratio and .80 5th and .64 6th ratios I have six gears with smooth even steps to a theoretical top speed at the redline in 6th of right at 200 mph. Since my car would not make it to 200 that puts my true top speed at the top of the power curve in 6th gear, in other words perfect gearing. Given the higher rev limit and rev-loving powerband of the 08-09 running the short 5th and 6th with 3.73 rear gears sounds like it would be pretty sweet (assuming sticky tires that is!) with a theoretical top speed of 210ish at the redline in 6th.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a theoretical top speed of 210ish at the redline in 6th.
theoretical top speed in 6th (.5), redline 6250 rpm, 3.73 gears is 271mph. Swithing to a shorter 6th for 210 max would be sweet.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I had the 96 GTS, I used to race another gen II gts that had gears..... if we ran in 1st or 2nd gear he would jump, and I would start to pull in 3rd gear. if we ran from 3rd gear, I would pull with my stock gears.... does changing the gears give better power down low but take away from the top end pulling power?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:55's. My favorite mod. Mine is 90% complete. Headers,3:55's and computer. Dyno before 527rwhp and 11:48 @128mph. Results to follow in 2 weeks after break-in.

Reaction score
I have the 3.73 and for all out powerful fun there is nothing that will touch it. Even with the power I have now it is very controllable and I don't mind shifting I just do it quicker than most I guess. It pulls like a freight train from 2500 to red line and I can't wait till all the fluids are changed this week and I can feel it all! I would love to take you guys for a ride, anyone not "needing" a track gear for any real reason would be simply in awe of the acceleration and despite what some think I have no problem modulating any wheel spin and it really digs out 2nd even with a bit of slip. 3-5th are incredible at any RPM.

G

Gotvenom 08

I have the 3.73 and for all out powerful fun there is nothing that will touch it. Even with the power I have now it is very controllable and I don't mind shifting I just do it quicker than most I guess. It pulls like a freight train from 2500 to red line and I can't wait till all the fluids are changed this week and I can feel it all! I would love to take you guys for a ride, anyone not "needing" a track gear for any real reason would be simply in awe of the acceleration and despite what some think I have no problem modulating any wheel spin and it really digs out 2nd even with a bit of slip. 3-5th are incredible at any RPM.

Dang it Mark
I just might have to make a road trip and check the new gearing out.Wheels are spinning( no pun intended):)

Shadowman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious; on the 08-09 gals how is the speedo being recalibrated?

Thank you

Shadowman

Reaction score
Dang it Mark
I just might have to make a road trip and check the new gearing out.Wheels are spinning( no pun intended):)

Come on down Tim! would love to meet you, and when we finish your car we could check out the beautiful Nebraskan roads... well maybe not beautuiful... well you might want to wait till the sand and gravel is swept up... see you in July then OK? :lmao:

G

Gotvenom 08

Come on down Tim! would love to meet you, and when we finish your car we could check out the beautiful Nebraskan roads... well maybe not beautuiful... well you might want to wait till the sand and gravel is swept up... see you in July then OK? :lmao:

Well now,that sounds like a plan!And by then I think all the snow and ice will be gone from here:)When we go 5 over the speed limit( :D) do we have to worry about pheasants jumping in front of us?
Don't want them stuck in our engine compartment!!!!

Or is a viper faster than a pheasant?:dunno:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't got under the car to check yet, but from the outside, are the housings of the 2003-2006 the same as the 2008/9s? I might have to do this swap with 3.45s :D

Reaction score
I haven't got under the car to check yet, but from the outside, are the housings of the 2003-2006 the same as the 2008/9s? I might have to do this swap with 3.45s :D

Yes the gears you will use are the same from 03-current. Why a 3.45? that is a Chevy gear and probably not strong enough for the Vipers power.;)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I just thought the 3.45 would be a better ratio. So the Viper gears are only the 3.55s. What makes the 08/09 so much stronger? I keep hearing of the 03/06s breaking all the time. Haven't heard of any 08/09s breaking. Talking to the SRT guys, they said it was stonger, but were not specific as to what was changed. I am guessing internals and shortshafts......................

Reaction score
Yes the entire diff is stronger to handle the increase in power. I have not seen any rear end issues with the new one either.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
African or European?

after reading this thread I am thinking 3.33s I want to go with balenger headers, and Mopar controler so I think as I understand the 3.55s may bring the power band almost too low with these mods, is this right?

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 3.33's in my ACR. I like the idea of getting a little better milege on the freeway too. I think they are perfect.

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with the 3:73 gear and was looking for good gears at a fair price. Some Viper suppliers are around $500 and e-bay is $166. Are the $500 parts worth the extra $$$.

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with the 3:73 gear and was looking for good gears at a fair price. Some Viper suppliers are around $500 and e-bay is $166. Are the $500 parts worth the extra $$$.

You get what you pay for and you don't want a cheap gear taking out an expensive rear end do you? Our gear kits come complete with all ne bearings crush sleeves and shims. Hardened gears so there are no break in issues or noise. FWIW.