Window sticker for '96 GTS

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How important is it to collectors/buyers of '96 GTS to have the original window sticker?

I would dare to think no too much since all '96 coupes came exactly the same way, correct?

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Collectors like all documentation. Window sticker, delivery documents as well as complete owner history. Drivers, not so much so. I have the 12th 96 GTS model produced before the first model for sale to the public. I wish I could find out the history, but have had no such luck. I am guessing it was a pre-production show car, but don't know for sure. I have thought about getting a 30 day unlimited Carfax history and pulling the VIN of every 96 GTS as they apparently run in sequential number. Only 1150 or so total. Would be nice to know how many survive, most recent reported miles, location, etc. It seems like I run across a lot of 96 GTS in Florida for them to be scarce. Never hard to find one for sale somewhere.

Pattymelt can do a reproduction window sticker for you if you want one. Not as good as an original, but better than none. Collectors really want the Pace Car stickers also. John B has reproductions available. The originals are a really scarce commodity.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more doucments you can have the better!!! Not that it was a big selling point but to have the window sticker for the ACR was a REALLY nice bonus. :)
How important is it to collectors/buyers of '96 GTS to have the original window sticker?

I would dare to think no too much since all '96 coupes came exactly the same way, correct?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only Viper built in sequential order was.....1998 GTS R.

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more doucments you can have the better!!! Not that it was a big selling point but to have the window sticker for the ACR was a REALLY nice bonus. :)

That took some work and restraint on my part too!

I can't believe there are so many "car guys" that don't pass along all the paperwork for their cars:dunno:

Turns out to be a moot point on the '96 GTS I was looking at. One of our local SoCal members flew up to buy the car yesterday only to find out that the guy repainted it venom red years ago:omg: And he never even bothered to relay this extremely important fact to the buyer. What an ******:rolleyes:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea...thats kind of an important bit of info I would think. If there is a certin kind of car you are looking for let me know. I am always looking at vipers so if I see something, I can pass it along to you!!
That took some work and restraint on my part too!

I can't believe there are so many "car guys" that don't pass along all the paperwork for their cars:dunno:

Turns out to be a moot point on the '96 GTS I was looking at. One of our local SoCal members flew up to buy the car yesterday only to find out that the guy repainted it venom red years ago:omg: And he never even bothered to relay this extremely important fact to the buyer. What an ******:rolleyes:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Collectors like all documentation. Window sticker, delivery documents as well as complete owner history. Drivers, not so much so. I have the 12th 96 GTS model produced before the first model for sale to the public. I wish I could find out the history, but have had no such luck. I am guessing it was a pre-production show car, but don't know for sure. I have thought about getting a 30 day unlimited Carfax history and pulling the VIN of every 96 GTS as they apparently run in sequential number. Only 1150 or so total. Would be nice to know how many survive, most recent reported miles, location, etc. It seems like I run across a lot of 96 GTS in Florida for them to be scarce. Never hard to find one for sale somewhere.

Pattymelt can do a reproduction window sticker for you if you want one. Not as good as an original, but better than none. Collectors really want the Pace Car stickers also. John B has reproductions available. The originals are a really scarce commodity.

Some history that I know, Maurice Liang has s/n18 but the frame was inserted between 13 and 14 so that he could have the first public car produced as 1-13 were supposedly internal cars.
IIRC Jon B has or had one of the pre-production models just as yourself.

According to Maurice's Viper Buyers Guide, the total number of '96 GTS's built was 1166. 3 of those units were white with blue stripes for the Chrysler Exec's.

Last edited:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait until you buy a car from a Mopar Collector, Everything is there, Receipts, Documentation..ect...But when car is turned over..He Decides to Keep the Receipts, & spare Set of Keys...

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait until you buy a car from a Mopar Collector, Everything is there, Receipts, Documentation..ect...But when car is turned over..He Decides to Keep the Receipts, & spare Set of Keys...

I'm with ya on this one Frank. I think if a real collector is selling to a non-collector, they will keep everything they can get away with, knowing/hoping some where down the line someone will come looking for the original paper work, and more $$ for the original seller...

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really makes you re think buying. I've learned..If travel to look & i decide to buy documents go with me & then i'll make arrangements to have car transported.

Johnny GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, sdaddy, hope you're doing well. Please forgive me , but I'm new at this. I own a 1996 GTS as well, mine is car #17 with only 6,900 miles. The original owner (President of the Dodge Dealers Association), told me that the first 25 cars were specially made and not available to the general public. I agree with you 100% and hope you are still enjoying your GTS. Can you believe this guy misplaced the original Monroney/Window sticker??? Do tou have any idea how I may get a quality duplicate made? I've tried Chrysler as well as the original selling dealership, all I can get is the original build info. I greatly appreciate any info you can provide. Take care. Johnny GTS

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have #33 (Totally stock except for exhaust) and I second trying to get a quality reproduction / original window sticker. My car was shipped to a dealership in Maine..

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that I found really helpful, when I had my Porsche, was that you could contact them (I think Atlanta Offices) and they could provide you with a "birth certificate" of sorts for your particular car. I was basically a combination of order details and production information, so you knew when and where the car was purchased, what options or special order pieces were added, when and where the car was purchased, when delivered and to whom. I had a '78 911 in the early 2000's and received this information. What I found was the original owner had ordered a special color paint (to match his wife's favorite nail polish color - champaigne). I would never have known that without this info.

For my '98 RT/10, I did get from Dodge what dealer the car was first delivered to and the date.

It would be great if Dodge (SRT) could go back through their files (assuming they have kept them) to provide to any Viper owner, the original production information.

Would like to think this might be available at a cost.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, sdaddy, hope you're doing well. Please forgive me , but I'm new at this. I own a 1996 GTS as well, mine is car #17 with only 6,900 miles. The original owner (President of the Dodge Dealers Association), told me that the first 25 cars were specially made and not available to the general public. I agree with you 100% and hope you are still enjoying your GTS. Can you believe this guy misplaced the original Monroney/Window sticker??? Do tou have any idea how I may get a quality duplicate made? I've tried Chrysler as well as the original selling dealership, all I can get is the original build info. I greatly appreciate any info you can provide. Take care. Johnny GTS

Is this the B/W GTS that Topor Dodge had for sale (owners personal car)?

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing that I found really helpful, when I had my Porsche, was that you could contact them (I think Atlanta Offices) and they could provide you with a "birth certificate" of sorts for your particular car.

A number of specialty manufacturers have this service: Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc. I was able to get my window sticker from Aston Martin many years later. I haven't been able to get my 1992 RT/10 monroney from Chrysler (it's pictured in Maurice's Viper Buyers Guide) since they probably purged their files after 10 years. Other manufacturers have this service as part of their heritage car services. Aston Martin and Ferrari have significant business interests in supplying parts and restoring their cars.

Now that Vipers are celebrating their 20th year, it would be nice for Chrysler to provide this info, even at cost.

Johnny GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ACRSNK, how's it goin, yes that's now mine,,lucky to have my dream fulfilled! Anyone know about the quality of pattymelts Monroney stickers? I'm considering getting one done for my 96 GTS. I hear they're good,,, better than nothing?

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know if anybody has blank window stickers?

I know they have them for other cars. For example, I have a blank for a 1977 Vette I am restoring. I can, basically, print what I want. Since we went resto-mod, I can create a new one.

If I can get one for the Viper it would be nice...

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 1996 GTS was the first Viper that had the original owners name printed on the Mulrooney ( something like this car built especially for ___--------) weren't the 1996 all coupon spoke for cars ?? I had one with my name on the Mulrooney....sold the cart and all....the person that bought it could have cared less ( professional football player) and later saw it in the repair shop underside was being replaced from trying to run over a parking block too fast...but I digress....the Mulrooneys that were specially numbered had "build for names "

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey ACRSNK, how's it goin, yes that's now mine,,lucky to have my dream fulfilled! Anyone know about the quality of pattymelts Monroney stickers? I'm considering getting one done for my 96 GTS. I hear they're good,,, better than nothing?

I actually checked that car out, but they were asking way too much when I looked at it. It was very nice though. If I remember correctly, they also had the owner's kit with the decals for it in a box. Congrats!!! You got a good one.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 1996 GTS was the first Viper that had the original owners name printed on the Mulrooney ( something like this car built especially for ___--------) weren't the 1996 all coupon spoke for cars ?? I had one with my name on the Mulrooney....sold the cart and all....the person that bought it could have cared less ( professional football player) and later saw it in the repair shop underside was being replaced from trying to run over a parking block too fast...but I digress....the Mulrooneys that were specially numbered had "build for names "

I know that the window sticker that came with my 97 B/W GTS had the previous owners name on it. Said car was built for *************.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that front plate screwed right into the bumper? Tell me its not so.....

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How I've missed this thread for so long is beyond me.

When I got my 96 RT, it was missing its original monroney. A member here was kind enough to send me a copy of the sticker for his 96 RT, which while not a great photocopy (due to lamination of the original) it was enough to see where things went, etc. I also have the original from my 2000 GTS.

Anyhow...I made my own. Took hours of work, but in the end you'd be hard pressed to tell it from an original...especially once it was laminated. I can put up a pic if someone wants to see it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave