Cold Air Intake For Gen II RT/10

mopard150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking on this forum and online for a cold air intake for my 2000 RT/10 viper. I have not found one. Is it not a good idea to modify the car to have one? Do i need to create my own?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking on this forum and online for a cold air intake for my 2000 RT/10 viper. I have not found one. Is it not a good idea to modify the car to have one? Do i need to create my own?

I know K&N used to have one that worked well - some of the earlier units caused problems with the cooling fan but I'm sure they sorted that out.

The other option is to go with K&N replacement filters and smooth tubes - but that's probably already been done to your car. I don't think anyone kept the standard issue equipment for more than five minutes after buying their cars...

OP
OP
M

mopard150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know K&N used to have one that worked well - some of the earlier units caused problems with the cooling fan but I'm sure they sorted that out.

The other option is to go with K&N replacement filters and smooth tubes - but that's probably already been done to your car. I don't think anyone kept the standard issue equipment for more than five minutes after buying their cars...

Thats true. I have the smooth tubes and the K&N filters.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth tubes and filters are independent of adding a cold air intake to the factory air box.

I'd be interested to know on the K&N kit where the cold air comes from? :dunno: If still the NACA duct then why is it different than the OE box? If sucking engine compartment air then that ain't cold air. You have to get air from the fascia. The parts I described do that.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Wait a minute...thats not right!

Join the VCA then sign on and get into the ILLUSTRATED GUIDES as there is a great write up on a high flow system with cold air access.

You must be registered for see images

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait a minute...thats not right!

Join the VCA then sign on and get into the ILLUSTRATED GUIDES as there is a great write up on a high flow system with cold air access.

You must be registered for see images

Sure is and that is the JMB cold air intake and smooth tubes...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe fascia duct mod and a Vipair.

Done.

I'm with Dave if you're looking for a cold air solution:

Some Cold Air = Stock Airbox + Vipair
A lot of Cold Air = Stock Airbox + Vipair + Roe Front Fascia Kit
Most Cold Air = Stock Airbox + Vipair + Roe Front Fascia Kit + Closed NACA Opening

For a drop dead beautiful airbox nothing beats JMB Performance on looks. Beautiful work. Add the Vipair (or JMB extension that integrates with their airbox) + Roe Front Fascia kit and I think you get the best of both worlds.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my homemade Vipair on my '01 ACR along with, a scoop that hung to mid-facia and my self modified OE airbox. It pulled like a ***** ape until I removed the NACA duct block off plate..and put the NACA duct back in.

Then it immediately went back to Clark Kent power levels...never could get it back.

You must be registered for see images attach

I wouldn't put that JMB intake thing on my lawn mower..horrid looking.

DY stop harrassing people to join the VCA ha? If the club doesn't require joining you've no business shoving it down people's throats all the time.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of us that make mention of the benefits that members have here at this site. I am included in that crowd.

I'd have to rate what DY said as a 2 out of 10 in regards to shoving membership down the old pie hole. Maybe there's something from the past to explain your position? You do go back farther here than I do.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my homemade Vipair on my '01 ACR along with, a scoop that hung to mid-facia and my self modified OE airbox. It pulled like a ***** ape until I removed the NACA duct block off plate..and put the NACA duct back in.

Then it immediately went back to Clark Kent power levels...never could get it back.

I wouldn't put that JMB intake thing on my lawn mower..horrid looking.

DY stop harrassing people to join the VCA ha? If the club doesn't require joining you've no business shoving it down people's throats all the time.

Good God man... With a NACA duct "cover" like that. I don't think I would criticise the looks of...ANYTHING. The only thing missing is some baling wire. On second thought after looking at the NACA duct cover, there's probably some somewhere on your car. I'm sure the corrugated hose works great on a "lawnmower".

Thanks man, you made my day....:lmao::lmao::lmao:

BTW... Thanks for the unsolicited and hugely unrelated political statement at the end...:rolleyes:

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think his post must be a joke, I mean he actually posted pictures of the most half assed looking piece of crap I have ever seen, even on some of the local riced out Hondas, and then says the JMB intake is horrid looking? About the only thing that would make this even more hilarious would be if he was also using duct tape, oh wait I think I see a little on the top...

D

DAMN YANKEE

Ok, so I'm fast asleep here and the warden starts slapping the bars telling me I've got to answer a thread about cold air boxes. Fine, fine...start by taking the cuffs off.

"I have been looking on this forum and online for a cold air intake for my 2000 RT/10 viper. I have not found one. Is it not a good idea to modify the car to have one? Do i need to create my own?"

- Not one? What!?! Not one? Search function, Dude search function. There is 83 threads talking about ONLY cold air intakes. 14 of them require significant modification to the lower fascia...and a few of them are done by guys from TEXAS....TEXAS!? What does THAT tell you? Of course TREESNAKE is right, the "thats not right" was focused on the "not found one" comment.

"Membership and pieholes."

Dave is right..it was a "JOIN VCA YOU CHEAP F*#CKING BAST#RD" rant. Right, right...I got to work on that one. Ahhhm, Sir, would you please consider supporting the only thread dedicated to a club of Viper enthusiasts? We really, really do like our Vipers and spend alot of time working on the problem issues. When you join not only do you get access to photo how-tos that specifically discuss adding high flow filters and smooth tubes with cold air access, but a whole lot more.

Plumcrazy is of course right for everybody but heavy trackers. How do we know this? IAT sensors tell us that there is a strict limit that seems to be available for standard front mounted air filter units. You can make abig difference and then it ends. I think some folks confuse cold air accross the radiator with cold air accross the radiator and the air filters.

As to all the non members that don't like my opinion on joing the VCA....GO...well you know. Hey would you pick up that bar of soap?

Steve below is right! When I wrote these, it was open access. Now with alot of non members not accessing the How Tos we get BIG numbers of questions about.....you got it.....already answered stuff.

Dave, your right, there is history, about a year before you joined the club was basically all naked women Viper owners...went to hell in a handbasket so fast. I think we should let Chad go back to membership.

FE06, you have lawn? Nice! As to "pulled like a ***** ape" did you ever consider taking the JMB off the lawn mower and putting one of yours on, if so, send along some IAT comparison graphs of the two. I take it the cold air pick ups are at the fog lamps? Well, you dont run your lawn mower in the rain...right?

Did Robby the Robot want his arms back eventually?

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock box + Vipair dropped my IAT by about 15F. One snapshot was 25F less on a 90F day. No idea how that translates to power, but it does work a little. I have never used open filters. The Roe duct set up or the home made mod by FE 065 likely cools some more. The trick is to ingest as little air as possible from the engine compartment.

As a side note: I'm sure there are some, but no other car forum I've belonged to has restrictions on access to their comparable 'How To' sections.

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456