Opinion on this car needed

boater454

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a 1997 GTS red. It's Got 22,000 miles. Salvage title. The work done on it looks great. Seller says it was mild Right front fender damage and that he replaced it and the hood. He was able to re-use the front bumper. Seller had it checked for straightness and it was good.

Is there anything I should look out for particularly?

Is there a way to check and see if the airbags are good?

What do you think it's worth? Assuming the work was done well.

The VIN is 1B3ER69E5VV301498

If anyone knows anymore history on the car let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe you can ever get a "clean" title once it's listed as a salvage.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The prudent way to sell a car that has been wrecked and repaired is to offer pics of what the damage was. Have you been offered those? Have you asked why it is being sold? What documentation is available? Maintenance and repairs and this "straightness" check? How many owners? A DRB can likely check the airbags.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Suggest that you run a carfax AND ask a Viper Tech to run the VIN thru Chrysler...if all is OK (no surprises or questions) then have that Viper examined very carefully by a Viper Tech with a ton of experience. If indeed the car looks "safe" and otherwise OK, then it's a matter of your expectations versus your budget. It never hurts to ask an experienced VCA member to look at the car with you or for you.

OP
OP
B

boater454

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll find out about getting some pics from before the repairs. I'll call our local Viper Dealer too and have them run the VIN.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

boater454

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just Ran a CarFax and it confirms the salvage title and that the damage was moderate with vehicle needing towed and airbags deployed.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Boater 454,

You asked what a '97 GTS is worth with a salvage title history, (even though it may be perfectly repaired) I'd say at most $26k-$28k based upon nice clean title '97's now trading in the mid 30's and higher. That valuation is only my opinion...I hope others offer theirs.

Regards,
Aaron

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boater-- on Ebay now with only 4 hours left--an 04 red SRT10 21 K miles---NO reserve--high bid is only 33700. This one has a clear title with no stories. Sounds like a better deal.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely get a BODY guy to look over the car and then a viper tech. id do BOTH before spending my hard earned cash.

i doubt anywhere near 30k, more like 24-25k depending on damage. but thats my opinion

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why are you wanting to take a chance on a salvage car when there are so many vipers available with a good clean title?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe you can ever get a "clean" title once it's listed as a salvage.

Unfortunately, I think by "title washing" you can get the salvage bit removed. Not ever having done so I'm unsure of the details, but NPR did a piece on it and the deal is basically to register the vehicle in state after state so the provenance of the salvage gets lost.... all it takes is one careless key click and whoooops...there goes the salvage designation. There also may be some states that don't capture that data....run 'em through there once and voila, clean title.

Be careful out there.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drummer==either way, why deal with junk? As Daddy O stated--there are many Vipers for sale at very low prices--darn it! I just looked on Ebay and there are many under 30K dollars with no stories. Now I wish I waited a lil to buy my 06--RATZ.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common (and sage) advice from most car forums is to buy the best car you can afford instead of the cheapest car you can find.

Salvage titles are for a reason. They indicate that there is significant risk assumed with their purchase. I have seen people purchase salvage title cars where the airbags were never replaced, just an empty shell.

Buying one unseen has even more risk. Buying it without knowledgable inspection is even more challenging.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you should get it and swap that puny 454 out of the boat! A 488 V10 may be be just what it needs!!

OP
OP
B

boater454

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you should get it and swap that puny 454 out of the boat! A 488 V10 may be be just what it needs!!

Yeah an Ilmore 700 would be nice. I have a LaveyCraft Tunnel hull with a 454 Runs about 80MPH, and a 26' Velocity with a 454 (70MPH)
Can't complain they've been super reliable. I'm trying to trade the Velocity for a Viper. That's one of the reasons I was considering this one. This guy wants to trade. But the Velocity's worth about $40K (Which means I might get $30K in todays boat market!:crazy2:) That's too much to give for this particular Viper. I'll keep looking.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think by "title washing" you can get the salvage bit removed. Not ever having done so I'm unsure of the details, but NPR did a piece on it and the deal is basically to register the vehicle in state after state so the provenance of the salvage gets lost.... all it takes is one careless key click and whoooops...there goes the salvage designation. There also may be some states that don't capture that data....run 'em through there once and voila, clean title.

Be careful out there.
During my career this is one area I had to deal with at times. While I can only speak for Ohio, it is possible to convert a salvage title to a regular title. The car would need to be inspected (pretty intensely) by the State Highway Patrol. After the inspection it would go through several safety and performance checks. Of course all numbers would be checked and matched. If everything checks out, the vehicle would be issued a "regular" title.

I know other states have the same requirements and will issue standard titles. I know other states, such as California I believe, have it so the car is always titled as salvage no matter what.

OP
OP
B

boater454

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if the title is washed the old salvage title will show up on the CarFax records.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if the title is washed the old salvage title will show up on the CarFax records.
Uh no....at least not in Ohio. You would have to do a title history search to find the salvage title. This search would not be available by Carfax. Carfax would only be a minor informational tool I would use in purchasing a car. It would be in no way a deciding factor. Carfax only reports what is reported to them. A car can have damage, serious damage, and not even show up on Carfax and show as clean. Even Carfax's buyback warranty is only based on them providing contrary information that had been reported to them. I have seen many many vehicles that had serious damage repaired but Carfax showed as clean. Carfax is so so at best.

Last edited: