Fixed my A/C for $4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all again. The reason that this is the best car forum on the Internet.

DanielR - You are correct. I was mixing them up. Looking at section 24 of the repair manual and trying to see what the heck was going on. Compressor it is.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another reminder...please be sure to wear safety googles when working on A/C system....and when removing hoses or fittings...be sure to empty pressure first

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After driving in hot minneapolis yesterday, I might have to look into this repair as well.

Interesting to see how many Viper guys don't have working AC. I always figured I was the only one who it really didn't bother. In a RT/10, its better b/c you can take the top off and let the outside air cool you while you drive (to a degree). I think it'd be much worse in a AC-less GTS. I haven't driven my car in a couple weeks, but will drive it soon and see if the AC still works. With me moving to FL, I certainlyyyyyy hope so!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another reminder...please be sure to wear safety googles when working on A/C system....and when removing hoses or fittings...be sure to empty pressure first
^^^^^^^THIS! I thought because of the green dye was all around the compressor that my AC was not working, that the pressure would be non existant!.....Wrong! Had to do a hell of a clean up :D

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I just stop by AutoZone then they will have an O ring kit to do this? Will the part # be ORNG-1? I'm getting excited thinking I might get AC again. These St.Louis Humid Summers are killin me. Although the weather right now is fantastic, however the Viper is still sleeping until after Memorial Day :(

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I just stop by AutoZone then they will have an O ring kit to do this? Will the part # be ORNG-1? ....

yes that is the part #, here are a couple of (marginally) better shots of p/n:

You must be registered for see images attach

they had a rack w/ all the a/c bits in 1 place at the autozone i went to

:drive:

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Swapped mine out in about 45 minutes, including trip to autozone. I went from the top with a small ratchet and deep socket 10mm. Someone swapped one of the o rings before but didn't do the other, when I used a flat head screw driver to pull the old o ring off it just broke. Well see how long I get cool air ( never understood why the viper couldn't have COLD air)

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this fix applicable to the gen 3's too? Trying to troubleshoot A/C issues and this seems like a good place to start.

Michael

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My AC no longer works. Does anyone know that o-rings would work for the Napa line? Since we don't have all of the US chains to get them from. I've seen some of the a/c recharger things at wal-mart...would those work?

StoleIt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I just stop by AutoZone then they will have an O ring kit to do this? Will the part # be ORNG-1? I'm getting excited thinking I might get AC again. These St.Louis Humid Summers are killin me. Although the weather right now is fantastic, however the Viper is still sleeping until after Memorial Day :(

Haha that's funny. I am right down the road from you (Shiloh) and my AC is INOP also.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, this is my next job to take on over the winter, but keep in mind I am not too knowledgeable at some of this stuff. I did read over this thread, and it seems very useful in my endeavour, but i have a question and I want to know what you would do in my case. In the hot summer months my ac blows warm...cooler than regular air, but obviously not ac quality. The end of summer/fasl 2011 is when I got it and (I think) the ac worked better, but not during the summer of 2012. If you were me would you undo the compressor hoses to replace the potential leaky o-rings, and lose all of the coolant, or would you recharge the system and give it a run like that (or would that just be a waste of time/money because it would eventually piss out anyways?)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd recommend just adding some freon first. Its pretty cheap. Best way is to have some AC gauges and find a tutorial about how to know when the system is charged right. I found it confusing, though, and pressures depend on ambient air temp. Here in the US, one can "rent" AC gauges no final cost at Autozone. I know that there are people that do it just with the cheap gauge (just green and red zone) that you can get at any place that sells the recharge cans. If you open up the system to replace o-rings, you need to pull a vacuum before recharging. One thing that I was cautioned about is that if you start putting stop leak or maybe even dye in there, you might get some shops refuse to work on it. In the US there are strict rules about capturing the freon, and pros might be hesitant that an amateur added in stuff that could contaminate his equipment.

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my AC has officially stopped blowing cold, looks like I will be trying this over the weekend

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked and have no idea where those hoses are. was the picture i took (with the arrows) pointing at the right thing?

Probably OBE...but NO...those are the lines for your rack-n-pinion steering. Do you know what your A/C compressor looks like? Its under the power steering pump (if you know what that looks like). Assuming the worse, the power steering pump is the first component on the drivers side of the engine that has the serpentine belt on it. If you follow the belt directly under the power steering pump, it will be on the A/C compressor. If you look towards the rear of the A/C compressor pump, you will see two curved metal tubes that come out of the pump that are fitted into plate in the top of the A/C compressor. At the end of these metal tubes are where the O-rings are.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Photos from underside...the A/C compressor is on the driver's side, the lines go up and over. It's a very tight area to get your hands through to loosen the 10mm bolts.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '95 has a leak at the schraeder valve. Dodge only wants to sell me the whole line, but I sure would like to replace just the valve if I could find the right one. I bought a pair from Advance Auto, but they don't fit.
If anyone knows where I can get the proper schraeder valve I would sure appreciate the posting.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take a look at a junk yard. I would not be surprised if they used the same schraeder valve on a Durango,Neon,Ram, or minivan..

Real_Venom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Son of a gun.... I replaced the whole line ($280) last fall and didn't even think about just doing the o-rings. Dodge said I had a faulty line and quoted me $1200 to fix it. Took it upon my self and 2hrs later had everything done.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to say my car AC is working fine now that I changed those O rings :2tu: and what was even better was when I took the car to be re-gassed, when the mechanic pulled the re-gas line off the car the valve stuck open and the system lost a bit of pressure. He was not sure how much pressure the system lost so did not charge me :D Its working fine ;)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I hit this thread was that a Viper guy here in Tampa contacted me IRT a compressor that I once had. His AC guy said his compressor was leaking at the "plate" and he needed a new one. I pointed the gentleman to this thread and stated "not so fast...show the technician this thread first." It always irritates me when AC techs take their "top of the line sniffer" and tell the customer that they need a new AC compressor because the sniffer says its leaking. Not sure what the outcome of this case will be, but at least I feel I gave the guy some ammo to assist in better diagnostics.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those that have done this, is it still blowing cold? Anyone have warm air now blowing?

Chuck, I should have my GTS in a week or two. I have already been told that I need to have the O rings replaced, and was refered to this thread. I have very little mechanical experience. If you have sucessfully done this to your RT/10, might you be able to lend a hand to me.....if I borught some beer and cigars?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper