Fixed my A/C for $4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS
Freon used to run out after a few times of use and a few weeks... Tried to change the valve stem on the high side black cap...didnt work...
Was too busy to check under the car for a while... got ********** cuz i thought it was going to cost me thousands to fix this problem...
Finally went under the car with a UV light and noticed a ton of dye under my compressor..
Saw Jascpcar1's post about the o-rings in the compressor...
Bought A/C o-rings for $4 and changed them out in about 15 minutes...
Refilled freon for $80

Cold A/C for over a month now!!!! Feelin good...thx Jscapr1!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is $4 at your local parts store (kragen, autozone, napa etc etc)
You must be registered for see images

i did not use the orings written down because it thought they were too thin.. so i went with the thicker ones... just match them up and replace both but remember that they are different sizes

here is one of the hoses that goes to the compressor

i would assume that this is a common problem and solution because when you take out the original factory o-rings they are flat and might have some small cracks that you cant see with the naked eye (due to heat and time)

for $4 and 15minutes it's worth the try!!!

good luck!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mentioned this in other posts, but the o-rings at the compressor are under to most stress. Turn your AC on and feel the compressor where the o-rings are located -no, just kidding because you will burn your fingers. That area gets incredibly hot not just from the engine, but the compression work being done.

I did the same as you jc411, and rather than filling every 3-4 months, it's been good ever since. "Cool!"

PS Unfortunately the Dodge dealerships will charge more than $4 for only one o-ring...

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few questions about this. Did you remove both lines on the compressor and replace the o-rings or just one line? Are any special tools required to remove the line(s)? After replacing the o-rings you had to pull a vacuum on the AC system, correct?

Thanks......

OP
OP
J

jc411

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i replaced the o-ring for each line...you might as well replace both

no... i think they are a 9mm and a 10mm... it helps to have skinny arms from underneath the car or special ratchets from the top

yes vacuum it but it is probably empty already!!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll hijack a little.

I replaced both, but one at a time. No special tools that I recall; the hose end is attached to the compressor by one bolt through the flange of the hose end. It's the o-ring that does all the sealing, not how hard you tighten the bolt.

I did not pull a vacuum afterward. One reason I only did one hose at a time was the "straw" idea; you can put your finger on one end of a straw to keep water in it. I stuffed small rags in the compressor to keep the remaining (zero pressure) r-134a inside. When the system is no longer under pressure, what would make the air rush in and push the remaining r-134a out anyway? Also, even if the system was 100% air, the pounds of air vs. the pounds of r-134a you'll put is small. Hard to think that would make a difference. Some may argue it's the water that gets "in" and I think the only moisture that enters is from humid air; again, you can do this on a low humidity day or "plug" one end of the system while you replace the o-ring.

I recharged and it has been excellent ever since. Is it the most efficient because it might have air in the system? For $4 and the cans from Walmart, I am fine with only 97% efficiency; it's a lot better than 0%.

The only thing I'm surprised at is how quick - 15 minutes. Took me longer to figure out how I could get my hands/arms in there without getting stuck.

V

Venomiss

Awesome! You saved enough to join the VCA and buy a raffle ticket for the ACR.....:)

Come join the party.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad my post was helpful. I had the exact same reaction when I fixed mine. Was kicking myself for waiting over a year to try it. Have to credit another member here for inspiring me to try it. I also did not vacuum but only refilled with r134a. 7 months later, still cold...

I have a 99 GTS
Freon used to run out after a few times of use and a few weeks... Tried to change the valve stem on the high side black cap...didnt work...
Was too busy to check under the car for a while... got ********** cuz i thought it was going to cost me thousands to fix this problem...
Finally went under the car with a UV light and noticed a ton of dye under my compressor..
Saw Jascpcar1's post about the o-rings in the compressor...
Bought A/C o-rings for $4 and changed them out in about 15 minutes...
Refilled freon for $80

Cold A/C for over a month now!!!! Feelin good...thx Jscapr1!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not done any a/c work since the 80s. I know there is a different refrigerant now, but where do you get the tool to do it and how much do you put in??

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This was a great thread. Thanks for this. I found and bought the same kit and used the same o-rings. Last year I just charged the system and never checked anything out. When I loosened the upper line on the compressor I could have probably done it by hand it was so loose and the o-ring inside this one was dried out and hard. The larger o-ring was in perfect shape but I changed it anyway. I look forward to some cold AC ASAP! Thanks again!

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remove both hoses to replace O-Rings how many can or ounces of regrigerant should I need to fully charge the system on a Gen II GTS?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just recharged mine Thursday. I had to buy the suction hose with gauge, box of O-rings and two cans of R134a. I don't remember the can size but they were about $14 each at O'Reilly.

The cans I bought were synthetic and about $5 more per can of the same size than some brand I had never heard of. The parts guy said it would mix okay with whatever R134a is still in the system. According to the gauge when I first connected it my system was empty. Both cans brought it up to about 45psi, which was within the range of the air temp that evening.

I did not replace the O-rings for two reasons. First, I didn't know how much of a charge it still had and I figured if I removed the hoses I'd lose whatever was left. Also, it was rather humid (anyone who lives in the St. Louis area knows about the humidity) and I did not want to introduce moisture into the system. The cans claimed that they would rejuvenate O-rings and fix most minor leaks so I figured I'd try it out and see. So far it seems to be working after two days.

I did have to put a jumper across the plug at the dual pressure cutoff switch on top of the filter drier because the charge was so low the compressor would not engage otherwise. It's all in the service manual, section 24, if you have one.

You're welcome to borrow my gauge and hose to charge yours if you want to drop by this weekend. I'll be glad to share a few things I learned about charging A/C systems that I learned by trial and error that were not written down anywhere I saw. Drop me a PM.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recharged mine Thursday. I had to buy the suction hose with gauge, box of O-rings and two cans of R134a. I don't remember the can size but they were about $14 each at O'Reilly.

The cans I bought were synthetic and about $5 more per can of the same size than some brand I had never heard of. The parts guy said it would mix okay with whatever R134a is still in the system. According to the gauge when I first connected it my system was empty. Both cans brought it up to about 45psi, which was within the range of the air temp that evening.

I did not replace the O-rings for two reasons. First, I didn't know how much of a charge it still had and I figured if I removed the hoses I'd lose whatever was left. Also, it was rather humid (anyone who lives in the St. Louis area knows about the humidity) and I did not want to introduce moisture into the system. The cans claimed that they would rejuvenate O-rings and fix most minor leaks so I figured I'd try it out and see. So far it seems to be working after two days.

I did have to put a jumper across the plug at the dual pressure cutoff switch on top of the filter drier because the charge was so low the compressor would not engage otherwise. It's all in the service manual, section 24, if you have one.

You're welcome to borrow my gauge and hose to charge yours if you want to drop by this weekend. I'll be glad to share a few things I learned about charging A/C systems that I learned by trial and error that were not written down anywhere I saw. Drop me a PM.

Thanks for the info. I've already picked up a large can of freon with the sealer/leak stopper and a gauge. I didn't want to disconnect for the same reasons as you. My a/c is still pumping cool air, just not as cold as it used to. So I am going to try just the recharge for now and see if it holds. If not, then I'll go after the o-rings.:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave