CA emissions vs. Striker Heads and Cam

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I think anyone who has actually modded a car in CA knows that it's not a combo that normally coexists. Now "modded" in my book does not mean an exhaust and smooth tubes with K&N's. I'm talking about a reasonably large cam with aftermarket heads + headers. Unless you've got E.O. numbers on these parts, chances are VERY good that your not going to pass the visual or the tailpipe test.

Like I said, if your a gear head in CA it's pretty much a nightmare. Sure their are people that will fraudulently pass the car for big bucks. The truth is, that gets old!
If a part was properly designed it could possibly actually make power and pass emissions with a very knowledgable tuner. The Viper in this respect has always amazed me. I've had more emissions headaches with big cam Corvettes and Camaros. Bottom line....heads + cam always failed testing.

So here's a test I recently conducted, to answer my questions regarding the viability of a serious head and cam car actually passing the tailpipe as well as visual testing in CA. Now realize that these parts are not CA emissions certified but the results are pretty amazing. DC Preformance did the tuning and JM Heads + cam were used.

emissions.jpg

Sorry for the faint numbers, but look at how much cleaner the car is running with the stock cat, heads, DC tune etc. vs a stock motor with only high flow cats! It just goes to show you that a serious car can actually run and be, DARE I SAY IT..........GREEN!:D

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know! My experience in CA has been that as long as the modification isn't visible, or has a CARB number if it is visible, passing is rarely a problem when the cat is working OK. It's the visual inspection that always gets me. I've even failed the visual with modifications that had CARB E.O. numbers but the smog tech just didn't like the way it looked.... Granted though that a big-ass polished blower on top of my barely muffled Jeep engine set off the alarms at the shop the minute drove in.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good info, and a very nice positive to add to the NA package. Do you have separate tunes or is this with your single tune?

I'll be doing tailpipe testing on my Gen1 with heads/cam/etc. With the OBD-1, they do tailpipe here in TX. I have a 708, instead of an aftermarket CAM, so it won't be quite the same as looking at a heavy CAM.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good info, and a very nice positive to add to the NA package. Do you have separate tunes or is this with your single tune?

I'll be doing tailpipe testing on my Gen1 with heads/cam/etc. With the OBD-1, they do tailpipe here in TX. I have a 708, instead of an aftermarket CAM, so it won't be quite the same as looking at a heavy CAM.

No change in tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62