daves power steering pulley and bracket install

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im in the middle of installing this thing and im very.concerned i over "pressed" the pulley on. shoud the pulley and shaft be flush or should there be shaft visible? the tapered end of the shaft is showing and i feel like an idiot and totally didnt look at old pulley before pressing it off. car is gen 2. thanks. gabe

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is almost flush with the end of the shaft - slightly past.

I was smart enough to measure the existing pulley groove to the head or block or valve cover (can't remember which) and when done was within 1 mm.

Take a 24" x 1" wide straight edge on the crank pulley and measure from the edge of it back to the first groove on the crank pulley. Extending it up to the PS pulley measure it and compare. 1 mm difference or so and you are fine. You will probably need to remove the air box and PS cooler to get your hand in there correctly.

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gabe, my Viper Tech installed mine on my '98 GTS and it is flush.

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave's suggests a .070'' - .100'' gap between the backside of the hub and the pump housing give or take .010''
I have done 5 of these so far and all 5 are the same as mentioned above which is the front of the hub being just over the start of the shaft and not dead flush with each other.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine was damn close to flush from what i remember[/quo

+1 damn close to flush.

I wouldn't sweat it....if you're slightly over...( like 2mm)

besides...just go to a national parts chain (Pepboys?) and borrow their puller for free and 10 min later boom....she be good;)

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a S--tbag of a day I had. I bought this setup from someone on here who was selling it new in the box. No instructions but there's been enough insight on here to dive right in!

I had this thing going on SOOOOO smooth and about half hour in the pump was unbolted, old pulley off and as I was pressing on the new pulley I had one small issue. The dave's pulley is 2 piece and uses allen heads. The installer or "pusher" i had was larger than the hub and wouldn't clear the allen heads unless I put a spacer of some sort in between the pusher and the pump. That worked like a charm EXCEPT I couldn't see when I went too far. TO ALL PEOPLE DOING THIS INSTALL. DON'T BE A ****** LIKE ME AND PRESS IT TOO FAR. Now, this is where the bling of the Dave's pulley gets dicey (although I've never seen the Roe to compare)! HOW THE F&*% do you "PULL" this thing out? It's not possible with the same puller I pulled the old one off with because it's not grooved and puller friendly (at least not the pullers I had). I tried EVERYTHING and my last alternative was to try and get the pump out and rigged up in a press. WHAT A DUMB F&^%^&*(&^% idea that was! (I only had a few pullers and will have to source out a 2 armed jobby to yank this thing off the rest of the way!)

To make the long miserable story end here...Does anyone have a Gen2 power steering pump they'd like to sell?

5 hours in total, driving all over creation, the hub is on but almost off the old broken pump and I need a new power steering pump due to my ******-baggery...and my day started so well and it looked so promising!

Thanks for all of your insight and I hope I can add some enjoyment and pointers to those who may attempt this simple install themselves!

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I shouldn't use the word "boom" on this board:( Can anyone post a photo of this pulley with "allen heads" so we can understand what happened?

I feel your pain and hope you're back on the road soon

mine was damn close to flush from what i remember[/quo

+1 damn close to flush.

I wouldn't sweat it....if you're slightly over...( like 2mm)

besides...just go to a national parts chain (Pepboys?) and borrow their puller for free and 10 min later boom....she be good;)

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thankfully i'm in NJ and I won't be on the road for a while...especially since mother nature is bring us six to ten inches of snow by tomorrow!

As for the pulley, check out this link.

Pulley-P/S Pump Billet 96-02

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you can unbolt the pulley from the hub and then pull the hub ( using a steering wheel/crank damper puller set or other small 3-leg puller?)
Most national parts places will let you borrow a puller ( or you can buy a cheap steering wheel puller from Harbor Freight for $9.99)
I would call Dave at Dave's Big Brakes...he is a great guy and can tell you which tool to use to pull his 2-piece pulley.
Or maybe he can sell you just the hub and you can re-use his pulley?

If you need a p/s pump, I'm sure you can find a used one if you are patient.....I hear some Vipers have been totaled now and then:rolleyes:

Sorry for your bad luck...hope this helps

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a bolt to pull mine on.. The centre of the shaft is threaded....
That way you cant go to far....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your able to post up some pics of exactly what you have done and a pic showing the end of the shaft to the pulley it might help members on here to give you some more advice

Good luck
Mark.

Im intrested in seeing what you have done as im thinking of fitting a new pulley on my car :)

:uk:

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have pics and have already pulled it apart..well almost.

This can be avoided by paying attention and having the right puller available. There's no GOOD parts stores nearby to borrow or rent from and I thought I had the right stuff handy. It all worked but I'm a dope!

Nonetheless, the pulley and bracket are very high quality pieces and will end up working great for sure! A wise man once said, the right tool for the job makes the job go alot easier!

Thanks to all once again!

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hub needs to be flush with the end of the shaft.

Does your hub have a split in it like the pictures on my web site? Does the pulley have 6 holes in it?

I just changed the design so you don't need any special tools to install.

Send me a picture so I can see which one.

Big Brake Dave :drive:
www.davesbigbrakes.com

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a S--tbag of a day I had. I bought this setup from someone on here who was selling it new in the box. No instructions but there's been enough insight on here to dive right in!

I had this thing going on SOOOOO smooth and about half hour in the pump was unbolted, old pulley off and as I was pressing on the new pulley I had one small issue. The dave's pulley is 2 piece and uses allen heads. The installer or "pusher" i had was larger than the hub and wouldn't clear the allen heads unless I put a spacer of some sort in between the pusher and the pump. That worked like a charm EXCEPT I couldn't see when I went too far. TO ALL PEOPLE DOING THIS INSTALL. DON'T BE A ****** LIKE ME AND PRESS IT TOO FAR. Now, this is where the bling of the Dave's pulley gets dicey (although I've never seen the Roe to compare)! HOW THE F&*% do you "PULL" this thing out? It's not possible with the same puller I pulled the old one off with because it's not grooved and puller friendly (at least not the pullers I had). I tried EVERYTHING and my last alternative was to try and get the pump out and rigged up in a press. WHAT A DUMB F&^%^&*(&^% idea that was! (I only had a few pullers and will have to source out a 2 armed jobby to yank this thing off the rest of the way!)

To make the long miserable story end here...Does anyone have a Gen2 power steering pump they'd like to sell?

5 hours in total, driving all over creation, the hub is on but almost off the old broken pump and I need a new power steering pump due to my ******-baggery...and my day started so well and it looked so promising!

Thanks for all of your insight and I hope I can add some enjoyment and pointers to those who may attempt this simple install themselves!

Should have pressed the hub on flush with the end of the shaft, and then installed the pulley/allen head bolts. Not tried to install it as a unit.

I have Dave's pulley and the fit was perfect. Great product. I didn't use his mounting bracket as I have a Paxton, but his non split hub was easy to install.

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I believe this pulley has 3 "slots" and 3 holes holes for the hub. The guy I bought it from had it laying around in the box for a while. I actually never thought about taking it apart before installing it(DOUCHEBAGGERY NUMBER 2) but this was probably a mental block resulting from a previous experience when I had with a 2 piece timing gear separate on me at about 135 MPH while ripping down the 1320! That little disaster cost me about $7K to replace everything that got wiped out. This is all on me. As stated earlier, the pulley is a great product and I'm happy with it. I was the issue for sure.

John, I don't have the pulley here so pics are tough.

Lastly, can someone explain this "bolt" thing. Not sure I get how you removed it with a bolt.

Thanks

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave, no split in the hub by the way. Mine definitely isn't as shiny as the one on your sight either! hahaha.

I just relooked at the pics and get how the hub could have just been pressed on.

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, no split in the hub by the way. Mine definitely isn't as shiny as the one on your sight either! hahaha.

I just relooked at the pics and get how the hub could have just been pressed on.

Sounds like you have the earlier designed hub with no split. I had my local NAPA store which has a full machine shop do all of mine. Takes about 10 mins. for them to r&r the hub. The back of the hub is gapped between .090'' - .100'' from the pump housing. As mentioned above install the pulley onto the already pressed on hub. This could be difficult now if the hub has been knicked up from previous r&r. :usa:

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. All of your help means a lot. Everyone who replied could have blazed me for being a penis and you've all been cool. I just ordered a pump from Paul Scharf who was a true pleasure to deal with. For anyone who makes this blunder my only advice is DON'T DO IT LIKE GABE! Chuck Tator let me know the list price of the pump is over $500.

Thanks again!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. All of your help means a lot. Everyone who replied could have blazed me for being a penis and you've all been cool.

Well, the deal is that most of us know that we are also only a few misfired neurons away from getting ourselves into a similar situation. BTDT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss