Trans and Rear End Temps

COILD

VCA Member
Reaction score
The reliability of the Tilton pumps for the trans and rear end cooling are suspect. From the race car seat you have no indication if (1) the temperature switch has closed, (2) if the pumps are both actually turning when energized, and (3) if the pump seals are in good condition and actually moving fluid when the motor runs. Has anyone used a temperature sensor in the fluid of the trans or the rear end and hooked it to the motec with continuous monitoring and alarm functions?

Comp Coupe #33
Mickey Craig

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never gave it any thought but probably a good idea. We do check pump function whenever the car is on the rack. Are you having any trouble with yours?
Comp Coupe #64
Brian Barnes

OP
OP
C

COILD

VCA Member
Reaction score
I ran a 3 hour enduro and only realized at the end of the race that the pumps were not running. One had a frozen top bearing and the other had the lower piston fouled and frozen. There is no fuse in the circuit! I have no indication when driving that the pumps are not running or how hot the fluids are. At refueling we will now check to see if the pumps are running by looking at the fans rotating and listening but that doesn't really tell you that the fluid is moving.

I was hoping that someone had come up with a temperature sensor and fitting (that would not restrict fluid circulation) and give me a real time reading of the rear end fluid to the cooler inlet and then I can decide to stop and repair pumps or just finish the race and replace the ring and pinion. I was hoping to put it into the Motec or maybe just a gauge. I am thinking ahead to a 24 hour race next year in Europe I want to run.

The ideal way to solve this would be a dual sensor in the rear end with the temp switch at 185 degrees for the pump start relay and a temperature readout to the Motec screen display page.

Mickey Craig
CC #33

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mickey- there's an inline temp sensor available at Jegs.com.
(of course their site is down right now; I'll post a link to it later).
IIRC, they were less than $40.

I searched quick for a flow meter that's compatible with -08AN lines and can handle 200ºF temps. Came up with zilch.

In regards to the pumps being on/working question, a simple LED could be entered into the power circuit. A bi-color red/green LED would tell you off/on with a very quick glance.

As for a diff. temp gauge, I'm working on that one myself.
I'm thinking of adding a 2nd "OIL TEMP" gauge to the A-pillar pod (with a bi-color LED as mentioned above to display pump activity).
In the Comp. Coupes, I'm not sure where to add the gauge.
A simple, small digital gauge to the side would work. I saw a few cool ones on a couple of motorcycle racing sites. I'll get links if you're interested.
Adding it to the Motec would be the best and slickest way. Not sure how those guys add stuff. I'm sure a phone call or email will get you an answer about the feasibility.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATED PARTS INFO:
The inline temp gauge turns out to be a switch for the fan only. Probably won't work well as a t-stat. :)
I did, however, find some cool stuff. These would be quick and easy for under the car, then you get to do the wiring. :)

A fuel pressure gauge fitting would work:
Russell AN Male to AN Male Union Adapter Fittings with Pressure Gauge Port - JEGS
Pressure Gauge Adapters - summitracing.com

If you don't want to make any new hoses, there's a M/F one:
Russell AN Female to AN Male Adapter Fittings with Pressure Gauge Port - JEGS
Russell Performance 670353 - Russell ProClassic Fuel Pressure Take Off Fittings - summitracing.com
(I like the black fittings...heh heh)

Then you need a temp sensor. I found this cool little one last night:
Optimum Motorsports - AiM Sensors and Expansion
(about halfway down the page; titled "Thermoresistive Temperature Sensor".
What's nice is that it's stainless steel and not brass. The spring-type strain relief on the leads is a nice touch too; esp. in something run as hard as a Comp. Coupe.
Pricey, but....since when is a race car cheap? LOL

Hopefully that helped you guys out.