Front Splitters>> Street Legal?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they street legal? Or what makes one legal vs another for street use. I wouldn't realy want to use one on the street but I can drive to the track at times instead of trailering it. Anyone know the legals on this?:dunno:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They could be illegal because they post a greater risk of harm to pedestrians you might run into. Same reason hood ornaments are spring loaded and spinner wheels are banned.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe they made the front splitter on the ACR with a replaceable front middle section for this reason.

Drive to the track with the "fang" removed, and put it on at the track.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had heard that if its aftermarket its considered a race car addition. Whatever that means. Probably bull but hoping someone could chim in. It sounded like myth to me too

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Likely depends on the local law officers and how nasty they want to be.

Definitely not legal here in Kalifornia. I still drive the car on the street with it on part of the time.

Dan

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They could be illegal because they post a greater risk of harm to pedestrians you might run into. Same reason hood ornaments are spring loaded and spinner wheels are banned.

I find spinner wheels banned hard to believe................why a distraction??
I don't like them myself but why ban them?

as for the hood ornaments I don't believe the jaguar was spring loaded. If you hit someone in the ass with that car that cat would head straight up you know what!!

Greater risk to harm a pedestrian with a front splitter??? I would much rather be hit with a front splitter than a STEEL bumper.

I'm not buying it:dunno:

better reason please

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greater risk to harm a pedestrian with a front splitter??? I would much rather be hit with a front splitter than a STEEL bumper.

Keep in mind this is a government entity's logic, but the thought is that a splitter would cause ankle damage or possibly trap the pedestrian under the car whereas no splitter would cause the pedestrian to go over the car increasing the possibility of survival.

Personal opinion is, do we have an epidemic of sports cars running over pedestrians that something this stupid even needs to be discussed? Apparently the NHTSA thinks so.

Next year the government is gonna require giant Nerf balls on the front of cars. Sure, it will increase the cost of buying a car but it might save one life so it's worth it to put it on 10,000,000 autos every year.

And yes, that last sentence was sarcasm.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR have a removable section because according to SRT the splitter can not protrude farther out than the bumper. Hence the removable section. That being aid I drove my 03 with an Autoform splitter on it for two years in Il. and never had any legal issues. If the police are looking for that they would have to be really bored. I'll bet the average cop on the street isn't even aware of the ecaxt code that makes them illegal.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank SEMA and affiliates for fighting 3/4 of all the stupid and ridiculous laws that our governing bodies come up with. Like Chuck said, for a country that is suppose to be the land of the free, one wonders how many freedoms we really have anymore. No wonder the USA is on the bottom of the list of personal freedoms when ranked against all other first world nations.

They are more worried about stopping someone over an extra drink or because they chose to put an air splitter on the front of their car as opposed to tracking down the Madoffs of the world and the real damage it causes so many people.

Anyway, I digress. To my knowldege the 4" rule is pretty much legal across the board. USA and Canada. The protruding part I am not sure. I mean they still sell push bumpers on trucks and that is way in front of the bumper. Maybe all the vehicles should be like that Shelby on Death Race.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it comes on the car from the factory,its leagal, allways on everything as i see it,and the mo.st.hwy patrol says also

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are they street legal? Or what makes one legal vs another for street use. I wouldn't realy want to use one on the street but I can drive to the track at times instead of trailering it. Anyone know the legals on this?:dunno:

The ACR and Aero components are federalized. Of COURSE they are legal!
The center lip is also legal......just not recommended to run on the street for road-hazard issues.

The kinds of things the feds look at are pedestrian hazards...as with the dive planes and wing width and endplates..... those can be better aero if WIDER, but pedestrian hazards if wider.

ie the COMP COUPE WORLD CHALLENGE WING (or clone) would NOT likley be legal!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mine is PERFECTLY legal. :D
I do the lawn with it. (and snow removal)

DSCN6715.jpg

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know of no laws making them illegal and while I don't claim to know the laws in every state, I can assure you they are not illegal in Ohio. With that being said, can't imagine what safety concern would make them illegal in any other state.