Go Easy On Me.....looking To Buy And Not Sure What Year

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what was the first year for the full convertable... 2003? and what Year did they start putting in navigation?

Last edited:

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper Buyer's Guide book is definitely a good place to start.

There were verts from 92-02, but then in 03 they actually had a top that folds down and then back up... assuming that's what you meant.

I'm not sure on the navigation but I'm guessing 08??

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. '92-'02 = roadster, '03-present = convertible.

Any '03 & up head unit can be replaced with the factory RB1 navigation unit. iPod kits & satellite radio can be added also. Do a search, there are a ton of threads on this topic.

And do get the Viper Buyer's Guide, unless you can't wait long enough for Amazon to overnight it to you.:D

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying on the gadgets reidesign. My 95 does not have fancy things like in dash cd players, navigation systems, windows, door handles, etc, etc. :D

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for a really rare Viper, some guy in another thread had a 91 available. I think it may be the only one in existance!

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for a really rare Viper, some guy in another thread had a 91 available. I think it may be the only one in existance!

91???? didnt know they made a 91....i guess i do have to buy the book..

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did that “91” have the Flux-Capacitor Option???

Just having a little fun at someone else's expense (not your's). Chad's right...while we do have fun, you can't find a better encyclopedia of collective knowledge than here.

Personally, I have an 04 vert and love it...kind of the best of both worlds. Any Gen 3 (03 and up) and be upgraded to nav (as previously stated). I did it in mine with a headunit from eBay and the iPod kit...very simple.

The bigger question is...what are YOU looking for? HP, "creature comforts," looks, etc.? If you know what you're looking for, it will help US provide you with answers.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just having a little fun at someone else's expense (not your's). Chad's right...while we do have fun, you can't find a better encyclopedia of collective knowledge than here.

Personally, I have an 04 vert and love it...kind of the best of both worlds. Any Gen 3 (03 and up) and be upgraded to nav (as previously stated). I did it in mine with a headunit from eBay and the iPod kit...very simple.

The bigger question is...what are YOU looking for? HP, "creature comforts," looks, etc.? If you know what you're looking for, it will help US provide you with answers.

thanks, thats the info i was looking for, I like the gen 3 vert's, what is stock hp on a 03-04? and what are some of the key options for those years? is 05 the first year of the copper color? thanks again

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03-06 was 500-510 HP, depending on what formula was used (03-04 says 500, 05-06 says 510...same engine!). 05 did have the Copperhead edition...no extra power, just trim and paint.

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't get anything before 03 and the 08+ models are even better.

Maybe some would disagree but I have navigation and it just ***** any portable gps is better.

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't get anything before 03 and the 08+ models are even better.

Maybe some would disagree but I have navigation and it just ***** any portable gps is better.

ya i narrowed it down, 03-05 vert, its in my price range and really like the looks

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya i narrowed it down, 03-05 vert, its in my price range and really like the looks

A $200 nav will be MUCH better than the OEM version. Waste of $1700 for me.

Sometimes I wish I had the drop top Viper but the coupe just has better lines (costs 1k more). I have an s2000 with removable hardtop if I need to get some rays.

Come across a car that catches your eye, post and let us see it. I have an 08 and warranty. which is backed by the US gummyment. I want to get an ext. warranty form dodge but holding out to see if it will be honored. Best to have a model you buy with an ext. warranty, just in case.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03-06 was 500-510 HP, depending on what formula was used (03-04 says 500, 05-06 says 510...same engine!). 05 did have the Copperhead edition...no extra power, just trim and paint.
You are close but let me throw in a few more facts.
The 05-06 engine has knock sensors allowing for a little more tunning, that is the difference.

The Copper color as you asked about earlier was only built in 05 on the verts and they are numbered special edition cars called Copperheads, they only built 300 of them and all came with a numbered badge on the console. Besides the fore mentioned trim witch included special orange stitching in the seats, shift boot, steering wheel and floor mats you got the very sought after polished side winder wheels. These wheels were only available on these 300 cars. It is the same wheel that is now black on the 08-09 ACR's and they are the lightest wheels you can get for a Viper.
They also built 36 2006 coupes that were the same color but they did not come with any of the other special features the limited edition 05 Copperhead edition came with.

I have a Copperhead, it was pretty hard to find a decent deal on one. Most of them you find people are asking a hefty price for.

Whatever car you do decide on make sure you have a pro check it out for you. There are way to many Vipers out there that have skeletons in the closet.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, and good luck!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are close but let me throw in a few more facts.
The 05-06 engine has knock sensors allowing for a little more tunning, that is the difference.

The Copper color as you asked about earlier was only built in 05 on the verts and they are numbered special edition cars called Copperheads, they only built 300 of them and all came with a numbered badge on the console. Besides the fore mentioned trim witch included special orange stitching in the seats, shift boot, steering wheel and floor mats you got the very sought after polished side winder wheels. These wheels were only available on these 300 cars. It is the same wheel that is now black on the 08-09 ACR's and they are the lightest wheels you can get for a Viper.
They also built 36 2006 coupes that were the same color but they did not come with any of the other special features the limited edition 05 Copperhead edition came with.

I have a Copperhead, it was pretty hard to find a decent deal on one. Most of them you find people are asking a hefty price for.

Whatever car you do decide on make sure you have a pro check it out for you. There are way to many Vipers out there that have skeletons in the closet.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, and good luck!!

great info, ive owened 4 911 turbos in the past so i know about skeletons. thanks again bob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4