Help....too hard of a decision...

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really could use some feedback from owners....I am buying a 2009 this coming week. I have decided on Viper Red and am having black stripes painted on for $900.

The problem I have is that I absolutely can not decide between a coupe and a roadster. I am probably not going to put it on a track, but I live in IL and am wondering about the weather...I am 6-2 and have been in coupe with no problems. I have not been in a vert. The car I am looking at is 700 miles so I will check fit when I go to buy...I love the rear of the coupe, but like the idea of cruising the windy roads in the hills with the top down...How do they hold their value? Is the top a good tight fit that holds up? The rear of the vert looks a little plain to me compared to a coupe...help, help, help..... :)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love top off driving...but then again, I drive a gen 1 and I know what happens in the rain.......

Earl

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't go wrong either way. Both have their own character. I own a vert and love it. No issues with leaking or otherwise.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your indecisive about it you should check out some of the hardtops available for convertibles.
One of our members had one and the car was tough looking with it on, you get all the benefits of the coupe and the benefits of vert,if im not mistaken it had the bubbles for helmets on each side.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a coupe fan myself. I just can't get excited about the rear of the vert, its like a sebring. as far as value, the coupes hold a higher resale.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best thing you can do is drive both the vert and coupe and decide for yourself. I was lucky enough to drive one of each back-to-back. I have always favored the coupe, and still do after driving both, but having the top down is one hell of an experience at 100+!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote for the convertible, too. I have a 2003. Like others have said you could put a hardtop on the car and have both. If you don't like the convertible rear end you could install the Street Serpent body panels. They look great.

I really enjoy cruising around in the mountains with the top down. Your mileage may vary.

Bob

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2004 vert and really enjoyed it; I would say for resale the coupes do a bit better....if you were going to track the car then the coupe would be preferred. Based on your comments I would probably get the convertible but try both and then decide. I think you will certainly enjoy either!:2tu:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can always add hard top to vert but you can't take roof off a coupe. Get the vert with a Jeff Lemke hard top.:2tu: Jeff can even add the coupe tail if that is what you like.

Driving Viper with top down is great!!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you live in San Diego, the ultimate place for a vert, get the coupe. The vert limits your annual driving time (with top down) and in my case where I live the cockpit gets filled with dust and grit, you get sun burned, and hot as hell sitting at a light with the top down. Im always watching people sweat and dusting their dash off at a light while trying to look cool.

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the feedback guys. It really helps to have some people with real knowledge about the subject pass on their ideas. I am going to check out those body panels and the possibility of getting a coupe tail. I love the curves of the coupes roof...This is a real Catch-22...I guess there are a lot of people in the world that would like to have my "problems"... :)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing beats the open air convertible on those nice summer nights but coupes are more pratical. It all comes down to what you like. For resale Coupes have shown to always be worth more.

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never been so indecisive in my life. I have two dealers starting to wonder about me...haha...I have had three Vettes, all coupes but two had the glass you could take out and kinda have a vert...it was just perfect for nice days, with the viper, there is nothing like that, you go full tilt one way or the other...:) I like that about the car. So it comes down to picking lines over taking a ******* cruise on a curvy road...hmmmm...decisions, decisions....still "spinning my wheels"

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How big is your garage? You could buy one of each. Now's the time to buy, and those two dealers will love you. :drive:

Bob

I have never been so indecisive in my life. I have two dealers starting to wonder about me...haha...I have had three Vettes, all coupes but two had the glass you could take out and kinda have a vert...it was just perfect for nice days, with the viper, there is nothing like that, you go full tilt one way or the other...:) I like that about the car. So it comes down to picking lines over taking a ******* cruise on a curvy road...hmmmm...decisions, decisions....still "spinning my wheels"

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How big is your garage? You could buy one of each. Now's the time to buy, and those two dealers will love you. :drive:

Bob
Hahahaha....I would love that! I have a three car garage. I just bought a 2009 F-350 with a diesel and put a lift and 38's on it. Then I have my 22' bass boat that I went nuts on and put a 300hp offshore racing motor on. I have one slot left to fill....and NO money left...plus...I still need a few bucks left over to chase women with.. :p

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to prioritize your desires. It would seem that the "look" of the coupe is a strong factor. That's a VERY subjective issue. I can't comment on resale as that is an absolute zero factor with me. I buy exactly what I want and use it until I'm done with it. To place resale value anywhere in the purchase equation is exactly opposite why I'm buying and owning a Viper in the first place. I guess it goes to "if you can't afford it, don't buy it" argument. Resale value = compromise!

Anyway, if you plan to track your car, the choice is coupe. If not, I seriously can't imagine why anyone would not choose having the ability to drive without a fixed roof. With the choice of a convertible, you can even purchase a hardtop.

Other than for use on a track, I never understood why anyone would prefer a coupe. But that's just me. :D

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to prioritize your desires. It would seem that the "look" of the coupe is a strong factor. That's a VERY subjective issue. I can't comment on resale as that is an absolute zero factor with me. I buy exactly what I want and use it until I'm done with it. To place resale value anywhere in the purchase equation is exactly opposite why I'm buying and owning a Viper in the first place. I guess it goes to "if you can't afford it, don't buy it" argument. Resale value = compromise!

Anyway, if you plan to track your car, the choice is coupe. If not, I seriously can't imagine why anyone would not choose having the ability to drive without a fixed roof. With the choice of a convertible, you can even purchase a hardtop.

Other than for use on a track, I never understood why anyone would prefer a coupe. But that's just me. :D
You are totally right. Resale value should not be a factor. It was not originally but I was so split that I thought it might sway me one way or the other...it makes it sound like I am buying a Civic or something...okay that is out...how about giving some details on the "subjective" comment. Are there a lot of people that prefer the rear end of the vert to the coupe? I seriously doubt if I will ever put it on a track, there is nothing near me and I really do not have a lot of interest in it. I am more of a dirt track guy. I love that double bubble. Do a lot of guys that are 6-2 complain about the vert? I fit just fine in the coupe. Damn...I am starting to sound like a woman.. :p I am an engineer and I just like to gather as much info as I can, plus 70k is a chunk of change.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Coupe all the way - come to Fuddruckers in Schaumburg [said you are in IL but not sure where in IL] on 1st April at 6:30-7:00 pm to get a nice good close look and possibly get a ride in both the vert and coupe.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the look of a coupe as well. Much meaner.
But on the flip-side, you're far enough north that there aren't too many days that are too hot for a convertible like if you lived down south. Me personally, I don't even drive my car if it's not nice enough to have the top down.:cool:
After getting used to the convertible, I barely ride my motorcycle anymore, unless I'm in a hurry.:D

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and as for the height thing, I think they're both about the same, I'm 6'2" and put in the 2" seat drop. It was weird at first driving the car before lowering the seat, but after a while I got used to slouching. Huge difference after lowering the seat though.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coupe all the way! :2tu: I have never been a convertible person. Never liked the wind noise while driving, not to mention the extra interior sun fade and hot seats/steering wheel that occurs when driving and/or parked for long periods of time. I also like the rear panels on the coupe much better than the convert.
Go with what you like. :headbang: I like the fact that the coupes hold there value a little more and can handle more HP upgrades b/c of stronger body rigidity. I also like the stripes on the top.
If I were a convertible person, I would get the removable hardtop and have it painted with stripes to match the rest of the car.
Good luck with your decision. :drive:

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and as for the height thing, I think they're both about the same, I'm 6'2" and put in the 2" seat drop. It was weird at first driving the car before lowering the seat, but after a while I got used to slouching. Huge difference after lowering the seat though.
That's a great tip. I will look around for one of those. Thank you for the advice. Cheers.

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the look of a coupe as well. Much meaner.
But on the flip-side, you're far enough north that there aren't too many days that are too hot for a convertible like if you lived down south. Me personally, I don't even drive my car if it's not nice enough to have the top down.:cool:
After getting used to the convertible, I barely ride my motorcycle anymore, unless I'm in a hurry.:D
A Viper at Fort Mac....There is probably more than one in the land of $12 burgers...I bet it speeds up the run to Edmonton :)

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love this site. I can not believe all the feedback and great advice that I am getting. The seat lowering kits take care of the fit and resale value should not be a factor. It comes down to zipping along hilly Ozark roads with the top down or driving a car that is like M. Monroe with all the curves in the right places. Like I told someone else on here, that coupe just looks like it is ready to go kill and eat something.....wow...I wonder what it would run to mod the rear of the vert and make it look like a coupe?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am a coupe fan myself. I just can't get excited about the rear of the vert, its like a sebring. as far as value, the coupes hold a higher resale.

Like a Sebring? a SEBRING?

You are losing it...........everyne knows the trunk looks like a MIATA !!!

OP
OP
L

labradorguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell it's going to be easy to make some new friends here... :)

The verdict is.....Red Convertible.

I just can not get away from that topdown cruising...where I am at is not too hot and not too cold...and the best part is, I have four friends in the ******* Best Damn Dream Girl Competition (check it out)...2 are in the Final Four and they ALL said go "Red Convertible"...who can argue with that?? It may not have the killer curves of the coupe, but it will take a Sebring's lunch money any day of the week...and don't judge the curves till you see the ones in the passenger seat. :D

I owe you all for your advice and ideas....now time to go to bed for the AM flight and tomorrow I'll be over on the Mod page....

BTW- I am registering in a no emissions checking state...can I whack those Cats off of there and let her breath a bit better? It sure helped my three Vettes.. ?????